C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans fluid leak - nuisance vs major issue?

Old 01-19-2019, 03:37 PM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Trans fluid leak - nuisance vs major issue?

I have a nuisance drip of transmission fluid from my 1999 MN6 FRC. It is just forward of the differential, where the two halves of the transmission body join. This probably indicates a leaking seal on the transmission output shaft. I don’t mind periodically topping off the trans fluid; the volume lost is almost nothing; but does it present the potential for an abrupt failure that could foul the track and interrupt my season with an unscheduled major repair? I do 10-12 track weekends per year.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:56 AM
wscott62893
Burning Brakes

Received 269 Likes on 156 Posts

There is always a potential for a small leak to turn into a big one...and always when you least expect/want it to happen

I would start preparing to drop the trans axle and replace the necessary seals. But short term, you could always apply and external bead of high temp RTV at the seam to stop the leak. I wouldn’t rely on that long term though.

Dropping the trans axle will give also you the chance to install a trans/diff brace and tackle other low hanging fruit (axle seals, trans mount, etc) if you haven’t done so already. Just do it, it’s a fun job!

Last edited by wscott62893; 01-20-2019 at 07:00 AM.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:31 AM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Just a though, if you rtv the out side of the case, that fluid is going to pool up somewhere. Don't know if it's going to hurt anything but you never know.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:39 AM
wscott62893
Burning Brakes

Received 269 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by helga203
Just a though, if you rtv the out side of the case, that fluid is going to pool up somewhere. Don't know if it's going to hurt anything but you never know.
Agreed, definitely not the ideal method. But probably would be fine for a brief time.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:50 PM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

Received 344 Likes on 253 Posts

Either my T56 or differential is leaking, I'll see for sure afterwhile, currently doing remote bleeder.

Looking online a few days ago I saw something by Permatex that you spray on oil pans, engines, transmissions etc in several coats and it's supposed to seal non pressure leaks.

Normally I wouldn't consider using this, but I might try it, need to find out where the leak is coming from first.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:53 PM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

Received 344 Likes on 253 Posts

"A sprayable sealer that forms a durable rubber barrier that stop leaks in minutes. The wicking action seals hard-to-reach leaks without the need for disassembling or removing parts. Designed specifically to target low pressure leaks in hoses, oil pans, differentials, transmission pans, fluid reservoirs as well as plastic, PVC and metal pipes, their connections and much more!. Eliminates the need for liquid additive sealers that can swell and foul internal seals. Resists common shop fluids. Note: In many cases, more than one coat will be needed to solve the problem. Level 3"

Get notified of new replies

To Trans fluid leak - nuisance vs major issue?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trans fluid leak - nuisance vs major issue?