C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Transmission vs clutch noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 02:43 PM
chargermd
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help with Transmission vs clutch noise

Hi all. I have a C5 Z06 with an A&A SC on it. I’ve developed a metallic “whirring” noise and it’s getting harder to shift into 1st and 2nd gear. The car has 39000 miles on it with approx 10,000 with the blower. The car has always been street driven and never abused however I do get into the boost fairly frequently.
The noise is hard to locate but it does not sound like an differential howl. The noise increases with acceleration and disappears when the clutch is pushed in and is more prevalent in 1-3 gears.
I hate to start throwing money at it without really knowing what causing it. Any help with diagnosing the problem would be appreciated.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:45 PM
Bobtam
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

These are the hardest things to diagnose. The torque tube transfers noises from front to back. I ad a noise that caused shifting problems and it sure sounded like it was coming from the back but turned out to be a bad pilot bearing. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
chargermd (01-23-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 11:48 PM
thatguy662
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Sucks it is so time consuming and/or expensive to take the stuff out on our cars. Could be bad torque tube bushings too
chargermd (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 09:41 AM
FR-CYA
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 81 Posts

Here are my suggestions. If you haven't already, check the easy stuff first.
- Fluid in master cylinder low?
- Master cylinder leaking on either side of firewall
- Remove clutch inspection plate and have a look at things. Notice anything out of ordinary, or any leaks from slave cylinder?

Are you still on the stock clutch? Might be time for an upgrade. Especially considering the added power and torque hitting those components.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:22 AM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Sorry to tell u this, just went through this. Hard to get into gear. Clutch is bye bye..
Old 01-23-2019, 12:19 PM
chargermd
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by FR-CYA
Here are my suggestions. If you haven't already, check the easy stuff first.
- Fluid in master cylinder low?
- Master cylinder leaking on either side of firewall
- Remove clutch inspection plate and have a look at things. Notice anything out of ordinary, or any leaks from slave cylinder?

Are you still on the stock clutch? Might be time for an upgrade. Especially considering the added power and torque hitting those components.
Thanks for the suggestions- I will do that. It is the stock clutch and it has faired well until now. I'm just hoping its the clutch and not the trans.
I've done a lot of reading and it seems there is just about as much negative feedback as positive feedback on every clutch I've looked at. That being said, I'm open to suggestions. I was looking at a Monster Twin disk setup from Tick. A&A suggested Centerforce DYAD but Tick advised against it???? Please comment with your experiences.

Last edited by chargermd; 01-23-2019 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:31 PM
chargermd
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by helga203
Sorry to tell u this, just went through this. Hard to get into gear. Clutch is bye bye..
I think you're probably right. What did you replace with and how do you like it?
Old 01-23-2019, 01:20 PM
helga203
Safety Car

Originally Posted by chargermd
I think you're probably right. What did you replace with and how do you like it?
Pilot bearing was shot clutch shot. So I replaced everything with a mantic twin.. Tearing everything out sucks lying on your back. It's done and everything working good.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:56 PM
FR-CYA
Racer

chargermd, your assessment of the varying opinions about clutches is spot on. I had one shop tell me to go with an LS7 clutch. Then I called another shop and they laughed at the idea of putting an LS7 clutch in my C5. Both reputable shops. In the end, for my application, I went with a Monster Level 2 (single disc) and lightweight aluminum flywheel. I have approximately 500 miles on this setup with no issues. The pedal feels very close to stock and this clutch is advertised to handle up to 550RWHP.

If you are set on a twin disc setup, Mantic is a solid choice and so are the McCleod RST's.

You will drive yourself nuts listening to all of the opinions on clutches (and other such parts). Narrow your choices down to two. Then do research on those two only. Then make a decision. At the end of the day, either find a reputable shop to do the install, or take your time and be meticulous about the install on your own. Oftentimes, post clutch install issues have more to do with the installer or installment rather than the clutch itself.

I just did the clutch install last month in my garage on jack stands. It's very doable if you have the time, space and tools to complete the job. If you decide to do it on your own, PM me for any specific questions. I'd be more than happy to help.
chargermd (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 06:19 PM
chargermd
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by helga203
Pilot bearing was shot clutch shot. So I replaced everything with a mantic twin.. Tearing everything out sucks lying on your back. It's done and everything working good.
Congrats on the install. How long did it take you doing in on jack stands?
Old 01-23-2019, 07:01 PM
FR-CYA
Racer

Install took about a week because I started before I had all of the parts. Plus I took a day trip to MD to have Rick at RKT Performance rebuild my t56. He came in on a Sunday and rebuilt it all in one day.

I installed new torque tube bearings and GM couplers. I purchased the bearings from a store called: Bearings, Belts and Chains. I had a local machine shop press off the old ones and install the new ones.

I took my time as this is not a daily driver.

Here’s some pics (in no particular order). If you want, PM me a phone number and a good time to call and we can chat before you get started. I’m happy to help.

chargermd (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 07:16 PM
Bobtam
Racer

Your pictures bring back memories. I had Rick do my T56 too. I didn’t remove the bell housing though. Looked like too much of a pain to get at all the bolts.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:44 PM
FR-CYA
Racer

Action pic of Rick at work. He had that t56 stripped down in about 20 mins. Great guy with an incredible attention to detail.

chargermd (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 07:45 PM
FR-CYA
Racer

Originally Posted by Bobtam
Your pictures bring back memories. I had Rick do my T56 too. I didn’t remove the bell housing though. Looked like too much of a pain to get at all the bolts.
Might be the angle of the pic, but I didn’t remove the bellhousing either for the same reasons you didn’t.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:32 PM
Bobtam
Racer

Might be the angle of the pic, but I didn’t remove the bellhousing either for the same reasons you didn’t.
now I see it. Picture number 2 fooled me
Old 01-23-2019, 09:21 PM
chargermd
Heel & Toe

chargermd, your assessment of the varying opinions about clutches is spot on. I had one shop tell me to go with an LS7 clutch. Then I called another shop and they laughed at the idea of putting an LS7 clutch in my C5. Both reputable shops. In the end, for my application, I went with a Monster Level 2 (single disc) and lightweight aluminum flywheel. I have approximately 500 miles on this setup with no issues. The pedal feels very close to stock and this clutch is advertised to handle up to 550RWHP.

If you are set on a twin disc setup, Mantic is a solid choice and so are the McCleod RST's.

You will drive yourself nuts listening to all of the opinions on clutches (and other such parts). Narrow your choices down to two. Then do research on those two only. Then make a decision. At the end of the day, either find a reputable shop to do the install, or take your time and be meticulous about the install on your own. Oftentimes, post clutch install issues have more to do with the installer or installment rather than the clutch itself.

I just did the clutch install last month in my garage on jack stands. It's very doable if you have the time, space and tools to complete the job. If you decide to do it on your own, PM me for any specific questions. I'd be more than happy to help.
Thanks so much for your feedback. Looks like I'll be changing a clutch soon.
I' m leaning towards the Monster setup because I've seen more positive reviews than negative and have had a couple vendors recommend them.
I too will doing this on jack stands so I will PM you with some specific questions.

Last edited by chargermd; 01-23-2019 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:56 PM
Bobtam
Racer

Thanks so much for your feedback. Looks like I'll be changing a clutch soon.
I' m leaning towards the Monster setup because I've seen more positive reviews than negative and have had a couple vendors recommend them.
I too will doing this on jack stands so I will PM you with some specific questions.
I used a Monster and am very happy with it. The guys at Monster are also very helpful with questions.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:25 AM
helga203
Safety Car

Action pic of Rick at work. He had that t56 stripped down in about 20 mins. Great guy with an incredible attention to

Congrats on the install. How long did it take you doing in on jack stands?
Weekend, took my time.
CY
What was done to the trans on the rebuild??

Last edited by helga203; 01-24-2019 at 10:28 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with Transmission vs clutch noise

Quick Reply: Help with Transmission vs clutch noise