C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backlighting on gauge cluster randomly off. Checked other threads/search already.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 09:49 PM
SSkull
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Backlighting on gauge cluster randomly off. Checked other threads/search already.

It's possible I missed a simple answer for this issue, but I didn't find anything regarding my situation/symptoms exactly from the search function, or stickies.

I've got an '01 C5 Z06, 88k miles. Since I got it, the backlighting from the gauges seems to just be randomly out. I didn't even realize it for a while, and after having it for over a year now, I'd like to get it taken care of, and I know the unique setup these have with the UV lighting it's a bit finicky.

So what it is, is that everything functions properly, all gauges are accurate, and never have an issue. BUT, the backlighting just will randomly go out. It may be fine for a few days, and then I'll notice that the gauges are now completely unlit. Which it will then do randomly illuminate again at some point. It doesn't seem to be tied to anything specific from what I can tell, I came from mainly Fbodies and have fixed them before, but since this is new territory to me, I figured someone may know what is the cause of this.

Like I mentioned, it doesn't seem to be affected by anything specific. Doesn't matter if there's a rough road I'm on, if I tap the gauges all around or anything like that, they will just come on, or go out whenever they seem to want to. I've also had them illuminate, and vice-versa while driving and there is nothing I can tell whatsoever that's tied to it when it happens.

I just wanted to rule any possibilities out before I go the expensive route and replace the gauges completely since they work, but just seem to just be intermittent.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks for your time guys.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:29 PM
ncali
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

If it were mine I would locate the cluster ground point and clean it , check for corrosion in the connector
The following users liked this post:
SSkull (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 12:40 AM
SSkull
Racer

It not being properly grounded anymore was actually my first guess from how it's been behaving. One of the questions I had about that though was where is that ground point for the instrument cluster?

I know there are a few separate ground points(something like 12 or 13 of them I believe), is there one specifically that would be tied more closely to the Instrument Cluster itself? I would think the underhood ground points are most likely, but I think there are 6 or 7 of them under there altogether(near each fender, each light, and then more toward the engine itself).

Thanks for the tip though, I will be cleaning them up this weekend and hopefully that gives me some luck.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:08 AM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by SSkull
...I know there are a few separate ground points(something like 12 or 13 of them I believe), is there one specifically that would be tied more closely to the Instrument Cluster itself? ...
I believe is Point #5 (G201)in diagram below.

SSkull (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 02:52 PM
oelarse
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

The backlight of the cluster gauges is made by two UV lights (high voltage) . One on each side of the cluster .
Both are getting high voltage from this powersupply shown on the upper photo.
It can be a bad connection somewhere in these wires .
It can also be a bad soldering within the powersupply , who knows .

Last edited by oelarse; 02-26-2019 at 02:53 PM.
SSkull (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 03:33 PM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

If the ground issue doesn't resolve your problem, I'd swap out the lights and power supply noted above with a used cluster off of fleabay. they are always selling used clusters on there pretty cheap.
SSkull (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 04:57 PM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

I have a set of spare power supplies and lamps along with a couple of other non-Z06 clusters.
I am over in Brea, and can help with the troubleshooting.
PM me for details.

Gary
SSkull (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 07:22 PM
SSkull
Racer

Really appreciate the info guys. Can't wait for the weekend so I have time to go and get in there to hopefully find the solution. Thanks again, this should all give me a fair chance at at least pinpointing the cause.

Get notified of new replies

To Backlighting on gauge cluster randomly off. Checked other threads/search already.

Quick Reply: Backlighting on gauge cluster randomly off. Checked other threads/search already.