C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP Tuners for my 2002 Corvette Z06

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 08:57 AM
slow_pokeC5
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Default HP Tuners for my 2002 Corvette Z06

Use to do a lot of my own tuning when I owned imports and looking at getting back into doing some tuning on my C5Z. HP Tuners seems to be one of the most popular setups but I am not very familiar with it yet. I downloaded and took a look at the software and it's pretty user friendly so I am now just trying to figure out what hardware I need.

I guess my biggest question is do I NEED pro, to tune the car? I'm prepared to spend the money if needed, but I don't want to buy something if I do not need it. This is the only car I will be doing any tuning on with this.

I appreciate any help, suggestions or advice on getting going with this. Meanwhile I will return to google to keep trying to find info.

Last edited by slow_pokeC5; 03-07-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:10 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I've said this a number of times here on the forum. Buy "The Tuning School" when you're ready to really jump in, and you'll have access to a wealth of knowledge and a year or tech support that'll pay for itself many times over. Yes, you can find most of the info if you're willing to dig fo-ev-or around the internet, but seriously, life is too short for that. Buy HP Tuners (obviously comes with the hardware). Buy it WITH their wideband. Get it all from them... Then, once you have all of it installed in the car (bung in the exhaust and wiring done and can do a good datalog) go to the tuning school and buy that. Not before, your year begins when you buy.

That's it.
The following 4 users liked this post by K-Spaz:
acroy (03-13-2019), itsonlyairandfuel (03-07-2019), Pounder (03-07-2019), slow_pokeC5 (03-08-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 09:07 AM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 981 Likes on 624 Posts

The Pro version has unlimited credits for tuning, get the version with enough credits to tune your car unless you plan on tuning multiple cars
Old 03-08-2019, 10:01 AM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

https://www.hptuners.com/product/pro-feature-for-mpvi2/

Datalog without a laptop (says vehicle dependent, unsure if it works with LS1...huge market, so I would guess yes)
Bluetooth capability for easier logger (slower of course) or use with their app TrackAddict
Accelerometer...not sure how useful that would really be
Pro Link / expander hub for 2 or more analog inputs

To me the biggest advantage is the ability to have external analog inputs...but that is a hefty price to pay just for that. If you won't be adding a wideband to the car then it's probably hard to justify the pro features. If you only plan on adding one analog input (wideband or otherwise), you CAN use the unused EGR pin on the PCM and datalog that way all the time.

Also it sounds like you can upgrade to pro at any time later down the road if you decide you want it.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:48 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

What he said. If you're not going to use a wideband or are willing to connect the wideband output to a PCM pin then you don't need the pro set to tune the car.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:00 PM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 981 Likes on 624 Posts

Damn guess I haven't kept up to date
Old 03-08-2019, 11:51 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by feeder82
Damn guess I haven't kept up to date
You must be way out of date or have simply recalled it wrong. I've got the old MPVI Pro interface that I purchased about 7 or 8 years ago and it came with 8 credits. At that time, the unlimited vehicles per year credit cost way more than the pro package sold for. As long as I've paid attention to them, HP Tuners has never sold a tuning package (the hardware basically) with unlimited vehicle tuning. You had to buy that after owning the hardware package. Now, they sell the single vehicle credits or per year credits separately instead of including so many when buying the hardware package. In other words, just buying the pro version of the interface doesn't allow tuning of even a single vehicle.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:23 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
You must be way out of date or have simply recalled it wrong. I've got the old MPVI Pro interface that I purchased about 7 or 8 years ago and it came with 8 credits. At that time, the unlimited vehicles per year credit cost way more than the pro package sold for. As long as I've paid attention to them, HP Tuners has never sold a tuning package (the hardware basically) with unlimited vehicle tuning. You had to buy that after owning the hardware package. Now, they sell the single vehicle credits or per year credits separately instead of including so many when buying the hardware package. In other words, just buying the pro version of the interface doesn't allow tuning of even a single vehicle.
Unless something changed since last May you are absolutely correct. Used to be if you purchased a mpvi pro you got 8 credits. It appears that has changed now and you get the device with no credit. But the device is relatively inexpensive as compared to what the package used to be.

Having gone the route with a wideband, I'm not sure I would do it any other way. You can tune with the narrow band O2s, but I much prefer the Time Savings with it.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:15 PM
Signal_Hack
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If I were you and looking for strictly personal with a few friends cars I'd find a MPVI pro for sale either from a vendor that still has one or one from a private party used. Good deals can be found on the MPVI pro units if you're patient. I picked mine up for $50 several months ago.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:54 AM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,381 Likes on 833 Posts

This is a timely thread, thanks.
My car is well tuned for WOT but driveability is a bit nasty. Will be fun to figure out how to tune it. I considered the remote tuning, but will be more rewarding to do it myself.

Get notified of new replies

To HP Tuners for my 2002 Corvette Z06

Quick Reply: HP Tuners for my 2002 Corvette Z06