C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP..Dr side rear view Mirror replacement issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 06:41 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Default HELP..Dr side rear view Mirror replacement issues

Auto dim mirror went south. Purchased a standard replacement mirror. Took apart the old, replaced the mirror, glued it all back together.
That part went fine, snapping into place is another story. I "THINK" I got it but not 100% sure. Got the 2 larger Motor Jack Screws to snap into place but I'm not sure of the 2 smaller pins. Can someone verify if in fact they also snap into the mirror backing plate like the larger ones?

Picture taken from here, used for reference only. I didn't take pictures of the process.
Smaller pins in question in picture with "Spray Here arrows" is what i'm questioning.

Old 03-26-2019, 01:41 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Went back out and messed with it. With a glove on my right hand I angled the mirror down and to the right and gave it a good rap with the heel of my hand on the center of the mirror and heard it pop into place. No more loose mirror .
Old 03-27-2019, 07:47 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SG Lou
Went back out and messed with it. With a glove on my right hand I angled the mirror down and to the right and gave it a good rap with the heel of my hand on the center of the mirror and heard it pop into place. No more loose mirror .
Well I THOUGHT i got it to work but I'm back to square one. Those damn small pins just don't want to snap into the backing plate.

Any Ideas ?
Old 03-27-2019, 10:17 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Couple of well known sayings. " If at first you don't succeed, try try again" and "I get by with a little help from my friends"

With that said:

I did a more extensive search here and came across a very good explanation by member jedblanks in his post which helped greatly:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1580739477

Little did I realize the center "hub" was actually a main snap in place pivot point which holds the mirror in place.

Green circled portion in picture below:

That's what was holding me up as it wasn't snapping into place on the backing plate. Took out my heat gun, warmed the center of the backing plate on the mirror to allow for the the plastic receiver to expand, applied some silicone grease and with a LOT of force I felt it pop into place. Hallelujah !

Now i can honestly say for the last time............................IT'S FIXED

jedblanks, if you happen to read this, THANK YOU SIR !

Last edited by SG Lou; 03-27-2019 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:55 PM
jaki30
Melting Slicks

Received 514 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Just replaced my d/s mirror two days ago. It was an electro mirror, but, had discolored indicating the fluid had leaked. Tried to rebuild, but, I broke one of the jack screws. Wound up buying a good used electro mirror and doing a whole r&r.
I did discover that the jack screws are keyed to fit into the mirror backing plate. If you look at where they mate, you will see the backing plate has slots. I believe the top one is vertical and the center rear one is horizontal. If these aren’t lined up, no way will they engage the mirror backing plate. That is how I broke one. Good luck.

Last edited by jaki30; 03-27-2019 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:57 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jaki30
Just replaced my dis mirror two days ago. It was an electro mirror, but, had discolored indicating the
fluid had leaked. Tried to rebuild, but, I broke one of the jack screws. Wound up buying a good used electro mirror and doing a whole r&r.
I did discover that the jack screws are keyed to fit into the mirror backing plate. If you look at where they mate, you will
see the backing plate has slots. I belive the top one is vertical and the center rear one is horizontal. If thes aren’t lined up,
no way will they engage the mirror backing plate. That is how I broke one. Good luck.
I used the factory service manual so that issue of alignment wasn't an issue. It was the large center piece that wasn't co- operating.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:22 PM
Cstawa
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to replace my driver side mirror, how does it come off.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:35 PM
mmartinez
Melting Slicks

Received 504 Likes on 422 Posts

I would start a new thread.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP..Dr side rear view Mirror replacement issues

Quick Reply: HELP..Dr side rear view Mirror replacement issues