C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issue with VCM scanner on 99 auto

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 01:30 PM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Default Issue with VCM scanner on 99 auto

Ok guys.......Here it goes.....My car - 99 auto- simply does not like being scanned. Call me crazy or whatever, but I know what I'm doing. This morning I uploaded a new tune file in an effort to dial it in as good as possible prior to a dyno tune.....However....Issues arose .....Tell me what I did wrong here, but the end result was a running car with no guages working on the car;s gauge pod and the DIC was useless and stuck on a typical message it normally displays. The scanner was connected at this time and was reading things but maybe not everything, not sure. I tI had to shut the car down and when I still had the DIC message illuminated. I disconneted the battery and with no scanner attached I turned the car on....All seems to be fine....I checked the codes but there were no PCM codes, C or H. There was only the stupid codes that usually show up for no reason....Anyway, here is my procedure and if I did something wrong please let me know....

1) Turn car in ON position (not running) with laptop and VCM Editor opened. All lights were off, doors closed, etc
2) uploaded new file
3) Started car up this time with VCM scanner attached and I cleared LTFT and started to log
4) Car has issue mentioned above...
5) Stopped Logging
5) Unplugged USB from laptop and shut car off
6) Pondered the situation and unplugged the neg bat cable
7) Started car with no laptop attached and it seems to start and idle fine. I have a wideband so I saw the AFR in normal range and all guages, AC, lights, all worked fine.....

So what did I do wrong?????? What can be the issue and has anybody ever seen this?

Thanks, Tony

Old 05-17-2019, 02:04 PM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,689 Posts

With that VCM Scanner thingy can you communicate with all the modules ??...with key ON see if you can ??
Old 05-17-2019, 03:07 PM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Originally Posted by C5 Diag
With that VCM Scanner thingy can you communicate with all the modules ??...with key ON see if you can ??
I will check again...it did appear to be logging at the time of the issue...then I pulled it to see if I could fix the other issues..
Old 05-17-2019, 03:16 PM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Originally Posted by tabbruzz
I will check again...it did appear to be logging at the time of the issue...then I pulled it to see if I could fix the other issues..
Are you able to comm with the IPC ??...if you select IPC and look at live data (I'm NOT familiar with that VCM) can you read live data or does it say "will not communicate" ??...when you connect the scanner you are in essence "joining the club" with all the other modules...your scanner may be the problem...do you have another scan tool to connect to the DLC ??
Old 05-17-2019, 04:02 PM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Originally Posted by C5 Diag
Are you able to comm with the IPC ??...if you select IPC and look at live data (I'm NOT familiar with that VCM) can you read live data or does it say "will not communicate" ??...when you connect the scanner you are in essence "joining the club" with all the other modules...your scanner may be the problem...do you have another scan tool to connect to the DLC ??
It recognizes the car with no problem...I scanned a few times with this scanner and software. Its weird, but when I first got VCM scanner through my MPVI2 my radio would not work if the scanner was on...It did that one and never again. It just seems like the car does not like the OBD2 ported connected while driving and it does not act like this all the time. But, today was the worst issue I've seen. And I have scanning to do which sucks...
Old 05-17-2019, 04:46 PM
oelarse
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

A couple of days I tried to upload the PCM files to my laptop using VCM Editor and with the engine running (why I don´t know) and suddenly all the gauges died .
After I disconnected the battery the I uploaded the files with ignition on /engine off and the upload went fine .

I guess the PCM serial bus was overloaded for some reason and the PCM needed a reset
Old 05-17-2019, 04:55 PM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Originally Posted by oelarse
A couple of days I tried to upload the PCM files to my laptop using VCM Editor and with the engine running (why I don´t know) and suddenly all the gauges died .
After I disconnected the battery the I uploaded the files with ignition on /engine off and the upload went fine .

I guess the PCM serial bus was overloaded for some reason and the PCM needed a reset
It seems like it. It seems much more sensitive then I remember. I already thought I was being extra picky on how and when to connect everything. I am so **** I even ensure my hood is closed so my hood light is not on.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:15 PM
evolmotorsprt
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by tabbruzz
Ok guys.......Here it goes.....My car - 99 auto- simply does not like being scanned. Call me crazy or whatever, but I know what I'm doing. This morning I uploaded a new tune file in an effort to dial it in as good as possible prior to a dyno tune.....However....Issues arose .....Tell me what I did wrong here, but the end result was a running car with no guages working on the car;s gauge pod and the DIC was useless and stuck on a typical message it normally displays. The scanner was connected at this time and was reading things but maybe not everything, not sure. I tI had to shut the car down and when I still had the DIC message illuminated. I disconneted the battery and with no scanner attached I turned the car on....All seems to be fine....I checked the codes but there were no PCM codes, C or H. There was only the stupid codes that usually show up for no reason....Anyway, here is my procedure and if I did something wrong please let me know....

1) Turn car in ON position (not running) with laptop and VCM Editor opened. All lights were off, doors closed, etc
2) uploaded new file
3) Started car up this time with VCM scanner attached and I cleared LTFT and started to log
4) Car has issue mentioned above...
5) Stopped Logging
5) Unplugged USB from laptop and shut car off
6) Pondered the situation and unplugged the neg bat cable
7) Started car with no laptop attached and it seems to start and idle fine. I have a wideband so I saw the AFR in normal range and all guages, AC, lights, all worked fine.....

So what did I do wrong?????? What can be the issue and has anybody ever seen this?

Thanks, Tony
I've had this EXACT thing happen when tuning a friend's car. **These cars are super sensitive to voltage when you're flashing them. I wouldn't flash these cars if the voltage is sitting below 12.5V. This is especially true with the 97-99 cars I've seen.**

Here's what I did to fix it: Hook the car up to a jump box or battery tender and verify the voltage before you flash it. If it's not at least 12.5V, wait until it is. Note: You only flash in the run position with the engine off. Flash the factory base tune and verify everything works and there are no codes. If there are codes read and then delete them. Then, (verify voltage) go back and flash your new tune into the car. It should take and have no issues. If I'm not tuning startup I wont "connect to vehicle" in the scanner until the car is running.

If you need any help beyond that let me know.

Last edited by evolmotorsprt; 05-17-2019 at 10:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
oelarse (05-18-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 07:05 AM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Originally Posted by evolmotorsprt
I've had this EXACT thing happen when tuning a friend's car. **These cars are super sensitive to voltage when you're flashing them. I wouldn't flash these cars if the voltage is sitting below 12.5V. This is especially true with the 97-99 cars I've seen.**

Here's what I did to fix it: Hook the car up to a jump box or battery tender and verify the voltage before you flash it. If it's not at least 12.5V, wait until it is. Note: You only flash in the run position with the engine off. Flash the factory base tune and verify everything works and there are no codes. If there are codes read and then delete them. Then, (verify voltage) go back and flash your new tune into the car. It should take and have no issues. If I'm not tuning startup I wont "connect to vehicle" in the scanner until the car is running.

If you need any help beyond that let me know.
Perfect...thank you...I will try that...much appreciated
Old 05-18-2019, 07:33 PM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

So voltage was fine...it usually is as the car lives on a battery tender....I was able to tune twice and scan twice today. Both times my radio went out and another thing I noticed is my TPMS sensors freak out while scanning....the last issue which I am unsure if it relYed but only happens today during scanning was dredged code 1255..I cleared it after i took the scanner off and it has not come back yet. It could also be that the cable harness to the ebcm was very tight since the SC install. Some of the harnesses and tranny lines needed to be tweaked. I loosened the harness so hopefully it helps...figures
Old 05-18-2019, 09:35 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I wonder if this is a problem with the hptuners software, I have the older mpvi and never had an issue like this... have yoj tried contacting hptuners?
Old 05-19-2019, 11:45 AM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Originally Posted by neutron82
I wonder if this is a problem with the hptuners software, I have the older mpvi and never had an issue like this... have yoj tried contacting hptuners?
I did contact them when the radio issue surfaced. They wanted me to load new code. I did not then but have since. Well I loaded the new editor code...umm...I will contact them again....I do believe that the 1255 ebcm code is related to the scanner. So I get the code but no lights on the dash.
So another weird issue.....the good thing is I am making progress on my tune for the sc and such..
But I do need to make a few more tweaks which means more scanning...urgh

Get notified of new replies

To Issue with VCM scanner on 99 auto

Quick Reply: Issue with VCM scanner on 99 auto