C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you turn the TCS light off temporarily

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 09:53 AM
rocknrock
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you turn the TCS light off temporarily

I bought a 99 C5 from California and drove it to my home in Canada.
The TCS dash light is on continuously,
- DIC messages Service Traction System" & "Service Active Handling".
- 2 error codes (10-PCM) P1571 H C & 58-SDM) U1000 H C.

I have owned the car 4 months now, but haven't been able to drive it yet, because it has to pass a Canada "safety inspection" first. And the inspection station says they will not pass it with a light on the dash.

I simply want to turn the dash light off temporarily for the inspection?
Then I can insure it and drive it while I work on fixing the codes. This forum says it is safe to do so.
Does anyone know the correct fuse to turn off the TCS dash light?
(I read 1 post that said to pull fuse 52 & 53 under the hood... but that turned on the ABS light as well.)
Hoping someone out there can help.
I'm a new C5 owner.
Thanks
Rocky
Old 05-19-2019, 10:19 AM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,122 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Welcome new C5 owner !!...it’s the other way around...pulling fuses makes warning lights come on most of the time !!.... I’d get your 1571 fixed first and then get it inspected !!
Old 05-20-2019, 02:03 PM
rocknrock
Intermediate

Thank you for the reply.
Yes - I learned that pulling fuses turns dash lights on when I pulled fuse 52 & 53 and the ABS light turned on.
But I also know there is a fuse specific for that TCS light ... and that is what I am trying to find.
I know it is best to fix the error codes first... but I have been 4 months in reading posts and trying to trouble shoot so far.
I will continue to work towards the repair, but I simply want to get the light off momentarily to get it through the inspection process so I can drive it.

If anyone knows which fuse controls the TCS dash light - please advice.
I realize that pulling it may cause more issues like no speedo or something.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:06 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Won't the fault come up in the inspection anyway?
Old 05-20-2019, 02:46 PM
rocknrock
Intermediate

No - the inspection is just a general safety inspection... does it have seatbelts, do all the light work... horn... are tires worn... exhaust leaks... etc.
They do not get into the diagnostics. But they don't allow any dash lights.
Once it has passed safety, I can then insure and drive it.
So just need to get the TCS light off for the inspection... then I can continue on the error codes.

Last edited by rocknrock; 05-20-2019 at 02:47 PM. Reason: spelling
The following users liked this post:
CASEWORER (09-03-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 03:12 PM
oelarse
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

To take out the TCS light I think you have to dismantle your cluster and remove the light bulb .
As far as I know the TCS codes are sent to the cluster on the serial databus

Old 05-20-2019, 03:19 PM
ArtClassShank
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts

Have you tried clearing the codes? Do they stay off for awhile or do they trip instantly again?
Old 05-20-2019, 03:23 PM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,122 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by oelarse
To take out the TCS light I think you have to dismantle your cluster and remove the light bulb .
As far as I know the TCS codes are sent to the cluster on the serial databus

I would just fix it and be DONE !!
Old 05-20-2019, 04:09 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

How are you reading the DTCs???????

Recommendation. Turn the ignition switch to ON (engine off) If you have ANY messages in the DIC, press the RESET button till they clear. Clear ALL of the DTCs using the IPC reset button.

Turn the ignition OFF and then start the engine. wait a few minutes. If you have ANY messages in the DIC, press the RESET button till they clear. WITHOUT turning the ignition OFF, pull up the DIC Codes and post any and ALL of the DTCs

NOTE.. The EBTCM runs an Internal SELF TEST at KEY ON. Any issues with the EBTCM need to be read in the same ignition cycle as the self test.

When you turn off the ignition off and back on, it can clear some of the DTCs that are generated during that self test. Try that and see if you see any more DTCs. Post ALL of the DTCs that come up for ALL Modules!

Bill
Old 05-21-2019, 11:12 AM
rocknrock
Intermediate

Yes - I have cleared the codes a few times. But as soon as I start the engine the TCS light comes back on and the 2 codes that remain are as mentioned before...
- 10-PCM = P1571 H C
- 58-SDM = U1000 H C

To Bill - Thank you for your response. I know you are the guru on this and I appreciate you spending time to reply to a newbe.
I have pulled the codes with the ignition on ... and then restarted the engine and saw the same DIC messages...
But I haven't tried clearing the codes a 2nd time in that engine cycle with the engine running.
Just heading to work now, but will try that tonight and will let you know that results.
Thank you
Old 05-21-2019, 11:29 AM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

To piggyback something from above you cannot 'remove' the TCS light unless you physically remove the bulb from the cluster. It's going to stay illuminated. You're ultimately likely having EBCM issues and I am going to go ahead and predict that you will follow the as-always good advice Bill posted but it's still going to illuminate the TCS and Active Handling messages once the car gets past the initial start up self test.

Remember also 1997-2000 model EBCMs cannot be repaired and no new ones currently exist. If it does turn out to be an EBCM issue you're looking at in the neighborhood of $1,500-$2,000 and as you have Active Handling you'll have to ensure it's an EBCM from a 1999-2000 model car.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:38 PM
oelarse
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Velocity_Vette
To piggyback something from above you cannot 'remove' the TCS light unless you physically remove the bulb from the cluster. It's going to stay illuminated. You're ultimately likely having EBCM issues and I am going to go ahead and predict that you will follow the as-always good advice Bill posted but it's still going to illuminate the TCS and Active Handling messages once the car gets past the initial start up self test.

Remember also 1997-2000 model EBCMs cannot be repaired and no new ones currently exist. If it does turn out to be an EBCM issue you're looking at in the neighborhood of $1,500-$2,000 and as you have Active Handling you'll have to ensure it's an EBCM from a 1999-2000 model car.
It is actually possible to replace the ABS relays on a 97-00 EBCTM module if you some soldering skills , if you got the these codes 1217 (pump relay) or 1214 (solonoid relay)
The 97-00 have one relay for the ABS pump and another relay for the solonoides , while the 01-04 has one common relay ( much easier to replace)
I have replaced these relays myself on both generations of C5 EBCTM´s and discussed this issue in this thread last year

Last edited by oelarse; 05-21-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:19 PM
rocknrock
Intermediate

To OElarse - I haven't got either of those codes 1217 or 1214. Good to know you can replace some relays on an EBCTM though.

To Bill Curlee - I have followed your instructions re clearing codes in the same engine cycle. Here are my results...
Ignition on - motor not running
DIC messages = Service Traction System , Service Active Handling = cleared both
Checked for codes
- 10PCM = 1571 H C cleared
- 28TCS = 1277 H cleared
- 58SDM = U1000 H C cleared
- AO-LDCM = B2262 H won't clear? (but it is a history code)

turned key off , then started engine
TCS light on
same 2 DIC messages ... Service Traction System , Service Active Handling = cleared both
Checked for codes with engine running = same 4 codes,
... but this time the 1277 code had a C instead of H
- 10PCM = 1571 H C cleared
- 28TCS = 1277 C cleared (see note below)
- 58SDM = U1000 H C cleared
- AO-LDCM = B2262 H won't clear

Left car running
DIC had only 1 message now ... Service Active Handling

Note - when I cleared code 1277 C with the engine running, I heard a whirring sound and felt a vibration down by the gas peddle.
And the TCS light went off. I was delighted (for about 3 seconds). Then another longer whirring sound/vibration... and the TCS light went on again.

With the car still running, I tried clearing the codes a 2nd and 3rd time.
Same results. Whenever I cleared 1277 = a whirring sound followed and TCS light turned off... followed by a whirring sound and light back on.

Turned engine off and saw same 2 DIC messages (STS & SAH) before dash went dark.

Turned ignition switch on = no TCS light... and no DIC messages ( I held my breath)
Started engine ... TCS light came on & same both DIC messages appeared (STS & SAH)
Plus now the ABS light was on?
I checked for code with car running... P1571 H C , U1000 H C & B2262 H all the same.
But the 28TCS 1277 H C was gone... and in it's place was 1232 C (ABS I assume)

I cleared all the codes (except B2262 which won't clear)... and when I cleared 1232 C = the ABS light went off and stayed off.
The TCS light remained on ... and the 1277 C code reappeared.

Note - I notice that every time I clear the 1277 H C code with the engine running, I get the whirring sound with light going off for 3 to 5 seconds.
Each time the light comes back on , the 1277 H C code returns ... along with the 1571 H C
They seem to be linked to each other. If one is there, so is the other.

Anyway, I was encouraged to see the TCS light go off , and to hear the whirring sound, as that led me to believe something was trying to work.

I hope all this detail is helpful to you in assessing my problem and being able to give advice.
Thank you again so much for your time and expertise.
Rocky
Old 05-22-2019, 12:41 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I may have a resolution for your mirror B-2262 DTC. Below is a post on how to deal with it. Before you dig into the mirror try this: Manually adjust the mirror using the mirror adjustment switch. Run the mirror through it full range of motion UP DOWN and Side to Side. a bunch of times. See if this will clean off the sensor that causing the DTC to pop! Here is the post that you need:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...262-b2265.html

That DTC isn't causing your traction control issues but it will be nice to see it disappear.

Bill
Old 05-22-2019, 12:54 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The U-1000 DTC is a serial data buss issue. That one has my attention. That may be a source of some of your issues.

To the LEFT of the BCM are TWO thin connectors "STAR-1 & STAR-2" That is the test connectors for all the serial data lines. Find the connector with FOUR wires.

Pop the top off of that connector. The top of the connector is a jumper bar that connects all of the serial data wires in that connector together. When you pop the top off you isolate the LDCM, RDCM and the seat control module from ALL of the other modules. When you bring up the DTCs again you will see "NO COMMS" for those modules That will be normal.

Clear ALL of the DTCs again and then read them again and see if any of the ones that you had previously go away.

Report the findings.

Bill
Old 05-23-2019, 03:06 AM
rocknrock
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply Bill.
I will try your suggestions and report back.
I hope to get some time again this weekend on it. (weekdays = 13-14 hour days)
Old 05-27-2019, 11:00 AM
rocknrock
Intermediate

Hi Bill
I tried running the mirror through its range is all directions. Sprayed WD40 behind it to lubricate.
When it gets to extremes the motor clicks - not sure if that is normal.
DIC code B2262 remains and does not clear.
Thank you for sending the link- I will have to try removal.

Get notified of new replies

To How do you turn the TCS light off temporarily

Old 05-27-2019, 12:22 PM
rocknrock
Intermediate

Hi Bill
I found some time this weekend to follow your instructions. Here are the results as requested...
Once I found out what a BCM was and where it was located... I looked for the "stat-1 & star-2 connectors to the left of the BCM" , but saw nothing.
I did see two sets of wires going under the BCM on the left, so lifted out the BCM to find 2 metal clips on a plastic frame beneath.
One of the clips had 4 wires running to it... slipped the clip off the plastic frame... and then I could see the connector with 4 wires running to it.
I assumed this is what you were speaking of, although I saw nothing that looked like a "star".
Here is a photo

You can see the connector has some black tape on it - showing someone has been here before.

I removed the long clip
Then turned on the key (no start)
No DIC error messages... no Service Active Handling... No Service Traction Control... no TCS dash light.
Checked for codes
10 PCM - P1571 H C
28TCS - C1277 H
58SMD - U1000 H C
(New code) 99HVAC - U1160 H C (wouldn't clear) (very quiet whirring sound when I tried to clear it... repeated every 10 seconds)

Turned key off... then started car
DIC messages = Service Active Handling... Service Traction Control... TCS dash light
I cleared DIC... and checked for codes
10 PCM - P1571 H C (took 2 times to clear)
28TCS - C1277 C (cleared, TCS light goes off with whirring/grinding sound as before... 4 seconds later = back on)
58SMD - U1000 H C
99HVAC - U1160 H C (won't clear)

Exit codes... 1 DIC message = Service Traction Handling ... cleared... turn off car

I put the connector back together
Key on = no DIC messages... no TCS light
Checked for Codes
10 PCM - P1571 H C
28TCS - C1277 H
58SMD - U1000 H C
99HVAC - U1160 H
AO-LDCM - B2262H (won't clear)

exit codes... still no DIC messages... no TCS light
Start car
No DIC messages... no TCS light
A few seconds later = TCS light turned on , DIC messages STS , SAH
Checked for codes (car running)
10 PCM - P1571 H C
28TCS - C1277 C
58SMD - U1000 H C
99HVAC - U1160 H
AO-LDCM - B2262H (won't clear)

Note - when I cleared C1277 and TCS light went off... I tried my console TCS button and I could turn on and off the dash light at will...
until a few seconds later when it pops on permanently

Kept car running - checked for codes a 2nd time
P1571 H C , C1277 C , B2262 H = still there
But U1000 H C was gone

Turned car off - checked codes 1 more time
No DIC messages... no TCS light
same 4 messages ... U1000 H C was back
exit codes , no TCS light
But as soon as I start the car = TCS light back on with 2 DIC messages (STS & SAH)

I hope all this detail is helpful to you.
Sure appreciate your diagnosis

One last thing to mention... Each time I start the car, there is a long "whirring sound". I thought it was just a normal thing as the car checks its systems.
But now I wonder if it is related. It sounds exactly like when an airplane is pulling up its wheels after it is in the air... and lasts about the same length of time...
about 10-12 seconds. Just thought I'd mention it.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:07 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

This "whirring sound" We need to try to track this down.

Its one of several things:

Head Light Motor/s
EBTCM/BPMV Motor
HVAC Airbox Temp actuator motors cycling (unless its very faint I doubt that this is it)

Have some one key on while you inspect under the hood to track down the noise.

MIRROR My 98 coupe started to have mirror issues It would not move out far enough to allow me to properly set the mirror to drive. I cycled it and it helped BUT, I had to actually press on the mirror when it was in the stops to make it go to the actual stop position. Try pressing on the mirror when it reaches the stops to see if you can get it to go further.

Bill
Old 05-27-2019, 03:11 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Turn the HVAC Control to OFF and see if you still hear the sound.

Bill

Quick Reply: How do you turn the TCS light off temporarily