C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Lifters - needle bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 10:41 PM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,284 Likes on 1,938 Posts

Default GM Lifters - needle bearings?

My new-to-me Z06 apparently came to me damaged and then immediately let go. I finally tore it down to the block today and see that my #7 intake lifter let go of it's roller head while I was at a stop light. The lifter itself spread wide at the arms and cannot be removed from the cam trough. I'll call machine shops tomorrow for advice on that, though I am already seeking a new block.

These GM lifters though, what sort of bearing is inside the roller? Are these needle bearings like on the rockers?

At this point the issue is academic, since there is metal debris in the trough from a chewed up cam lobe and the roller head and bearing being MIA currently. No other damage is evident on the cam, nor any of the other lifters. I believe the shortblock to be ok. If I somehow find a way to get the lifter out, I guess I am just curious if I need to try to find a hundred little steel "sprinkles" in there or not.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:25 AM
evolmotorsprt
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Here's a pic of a broken lifter. So it does appear to have needle bearings. I'd say cut open your oil filter.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:30 AM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Mmmm. I set it aside to do so, but then went back another night and threw it out absentmindedly. I have some short-term memory issues after a concussion last fall. Little things like this. Not cool.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:22 AM
pcfred
Safety Car

Received 141 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Tusc
Mmmm. I set it aside to do so, but then went back another night and threw it out absentmindedly. I have some short-term memory issues after a concussion last fall. Little things like this. Not cool.
No wonder you haven't paid me the $300,000 I loaned you. . . .you forgot!
I use an app on my phone to remind me of things. When I think of something I either write it in the phone or do it right away.
The following users liked this post:
mykream (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 06:25 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Is the cam out? If so, you may be able to push the lifter down from the top and let it fall into the pan. From there you can retrieve the parts and you would need to inspect the lifter bore. It might help to pick up a borescope for your phone off of Amazon to look inside the motor.
ArmchairArchitect (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 09:32 AM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

I stopped last night short of pulling the pulley and cam. The one lobe is gnarly and chewed on, but I wager it should clear the bearings on the way out. I'll give it a go after lunch.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:36 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Is the cam out? If so, you may be able to push the lifter down from the top and let it fall into the pan. From there you can retrieve the parts and you would need to inspect the lifter bore. It might help to pick up a borescope for your phone off of Amazon to look inside the motor.

100% SPOT ON!!

That lifter should be able to be removed from the inside. It should push out from the top!

BC

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 05-29-2019 at 01:36 PM.
ArmchairArchitect (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 03:19 PM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Any advice for hunting down potential needle bearings? Just getting to the car now: work found a way to invade vacation again.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:30 PM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

The engine turned over for maybe 10 seconds after the initial stop. I have thoughts of them in the oil pan or going through the pump. Or those little metal needle bearing sprinkles chewing up the engine.

Get notified of new replies

To GM Lifters - needle bearings?

Quick Reply: GM Lifters - needle bearings?