C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What needs to be done to install a new clutch and not have vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2002, 10:39 AM
YELLOHHH
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default What needs to be done to install a new clutch and not have vibration?

I'm going to have my RAM clutch set up installed shortly, and just want to know any little tips or tricks to avoid clutch vibration and chatter. I plan on using the o.e. flywheel, but if the aluminum flywheel with the steel face is a worthy mod, and won't add to the chatter/vibration problem, I'll do that too. Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

Greg
:cool:
Old 11-07-2002, 10:56 AM
MattG
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In I, II, III, IV & V Veteran
CI-I & II Auto-X Champ

Default Re: What needs to be done to install a new clutch and not have vibration? (YELLOHHH)

I would definitely go with the RAM billet steel flywheel and not the OEM one.. I have read some stories of the RAM disks just ripping the OEM flywheels to heck.. I would also avoid the aluminum flywheels with steel inserts.. I have heard of nothing but trouble from them, and to be honest, their advantage would never be seen with street or dragracing.. A good strong CNC billet flywheel is your best choice, which is what RAM sells..

Old 11-07-2002, 11:36 AM
C5Noir
Safety Car

Default Re: What needs to be done to install a new clutch and not have vibration? (YELLOHHH)

Are you running your RAM with the stock flywheel?
If Yes, resurface the stock flywheel. If no, get the Ram Billet flywheel and have the RAM PP, disc and flywheel balanced to your factory PP, disc and flywheel. When removing the flywheel, scribe its location on the crank. You MUST reinstall the flywheel, old or new one, in the EXACT same position as it was removed from the car.
You'll also need an adjustable master cylinder of choice, whether it be Cartek, McLeod or if I had to do over again the one from APRacing (sold by moreperformance.com)
The only mod you have to do the the RAM clutch is to take a 15/64 drill bit and just drill out the three smaller pressure plate holes on the pressure plate so all of the 6 pressure plate bolts fit. Use red loctite on the flywheel and pressure plate bolts.

Replace your pilot bearing while you're in there, also.
Check out my post here for pics, etc: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=346262

The ZO6 slave can be had the cheapest from:
Chris Slack of TeamChevrolet
chriss@teamchev.com
Tell him Levi Procter referred you and he'll hook you up.

Have an installer that has done many C5 clutch installs before do it. If you are doing it yourself please contact me for the MUST DO's for ANY C5 clutch install so that it works correctly!

[Modified by C5Noir, 10:39 AM 11/7/2002]
Old 11-07-2002, 11:48 AM
CJS
Melting Slicks

Default Re: What needs to be done to install a new clutch and not have vibration? (C5Noir)

C5Noir, please post the clutch install tips here so we all can see it. I for one am having my dealer put in a 2002 Z06 clutch and I will be showing him these tips to make sure it goes in right.
Old 11-07-2002, 11:51 AM
YELLOHHH
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone have the part number for the RAM billet steel flywheel? I'll go ahead and order this too. Thanks,

Greg
:cool:

Get notified of new replies

To What needs to be done to install a new clutch and not have vibration?

Quick Reply: What needs to be done to install a new clutch and not have vibration?