C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TrackSpac Hood Vents with some tips

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 08:52 AM
Spaggs
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Default TrackSpec Hood Vents with some tips

This is probably the bravest thing I've ever done to this car. I'm a pretty good mechanic, the third time I do it. In this case, I have heard that old adage "cut once" so instead of measuring twice, my ADD/Dyslexic brain told me to measure six of seven times. I did. That's how many times it took for me to be comfortable, or somewhat comfortable when I used a hammer to make dents in the hood where my drill bit would make open wounds. (Another post suggested using a punch before you drill. It works).

Hats off to all the guys who have posted video and treads on their adventure into this project. Without those guys, I would not have attempted to do this. I found a couple of new ideas to help out, so I wrote this to help the next guy.

When I first got the box with the TrackSpec Vents in it, I put aside the box in case I chickened out and needed to return it or sell it. I later used all of the packing paper to stick on the surrounding areas when I sprayed the flat black paint to hide the white fiberglass. It really came in handy. I also used part of the box to use as a windshield to keep the paint from flying all over.

The only thing I really stressed about was the location of the passenger side vent. I didn't like the idea of exposing the fuse box/battery to rain water, so I relocated the side vents about an inch towards the front of the car. They actually lined up better with the center section.

Another tip: I went at it alone for several reasons. One: I could cuss without anyone listening. Second: the hood would be supported so it would remain steady. Third: you have to get behind it with another hand to hold the washer in place to secure the rivet. I thought it would be better for my back if I was standing up vs. tilting sideways via saw horses. Oh yea, start with the center section and then do the side ones unless your name is Kareem Abdul Jabbar and you can reach the other side of the hood when standing on the opposite side of the car. To make it clear: cut all sections out first so you have holes to stick your arms through. (I would have needed that last clarification).

Also, I went ahead and drilled out the rivet holes in the vents ahead of time, before installation on to the hood, to make it easier to line them up. It helped. Instead of holding the vent steady and trying to make two drill holes, one through the vent and one though the hood, I just had one to worry about.

I have seen these vents installed before and it appeared as if some of the edges were not flush with the hood. Some sides would raise up and a gap would appear between the vent and the hood. I was able to mostly correct this by creeping up the tension on the rivet gun, meaning squeeze a little bit, release, squeeze a little bit more and repeat until the rivet is snug to the hood then a final squeeze and pop. It worked pretty well. At least it did for me. I did have to redo a couple of rivets, but that was probably my inability to manipulate such a complicated machine. At least for me.

I wanted these things on my car because I've got a buddy who has them on his race car and says that they "really make the car stick to the road" at speeds. I also treated my fan shroud to the "Swiss Cheese" treatment and wanted the air to go somewhere other than inside my engine compartment. I have heard that the TrackSpec Vents release a lot of hot air and I am definitely looking for ways to cool down the beast. Last time out at Road Atlanta, I was recording 260 degree oil temps in early September with just a Setrab 925 oil cooler. I just added a DeWitts radiator, so we'll see what happens this September.

This is a shot before I put down an old U.S. Army issued blanket over the motor and other towels, paper, etc. to cover the motor/paint. I suggest taping anywhere your tape measure touches to prevent damage. Also, use string side to side to help with alignment. The directions suggest cutting toward the outside of the cutouts and I did. I could have gone ever further out in hindsight.

I didn't like the idea of water getting in my fuse box/battery well, so I shortened the distance to the front of the car with my side vents about an inch. I used the painters tape to help with the measurements. Lots of painters tape and Sharpie marks.

The directions say to use a 3/8" drill bit if you are using a jigsaw. I used the next size down and probably could have gone down another size. The smaller the hole, the less likely it will show up on the final product.

One of my alignment tools. Stretch it tight and anchor with painters tape.

After finding a couple of scratches on the hood, I realized that the tape measure had rivets. So, I taped up the bottom of the rivets and the problem disappeared.

Jigsaw blades for metal from Home Depot. Only used one blade and it worked better than I expected.

This is the gizzmo I invented to hold the washer in place so I could thread the rivet through. Painters tape on the washer and then painters tape, again, on top of the pliers.

Pesky boogers where fingers don't go, but gizzmo does.

In background is wife's 07' Mustang GT with 5-speed manual and 3.55 limited slip diff.
When she first saw the vents she says "the car looks newer." Gotta lover her!

Hope this helps the next guy.

Spaggs

Last edited by Spaggs; 06-23-2019 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Spelled TrackSpec wrong in title
The following 4 users liked this post by Spaggs:
ArmchairArchitect (06-24-2019), BRAVO1 (06-27-2019), lunaticfringe007 (06-27-2019), Pounder (06-24-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 11:56 AM
Brackets
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Nice job, looks good. I'm guessing you don't have any data on the results yet?
Old 06-23-2019, 05:28 PM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 664 Likes on 532 Posts

Great write up, great data, great photos of in process. Thanks very much.
That looks very good.

Last edited by redzg; 06-24-2019 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:06 AM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 386 Likes on 286 Posts

You know what would be cool - "attic fan vents" - lay flat when parked and open when needed (forced open by underhood air)...
Old 06-24-2019, 04:24 PM
Tenshots1
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

More pics!
Old 06-27-2019, 07:29 AM
Spaggs
Racer

Some more pics. I need to paint the rivets that I scratched with some flat black. Measurements of the side vents to follow:

Temps in high 80s yesterday in northern suburb of Atlanta. With around town driving: no difference in oil/water temps. Water temps vary between 187 and 194. Oil temps vary between 205 and 208. With steady 75 mph highway driving: Water temps solid at 187 and the same for oil temps at 201. When I stopped to get gas I placed my hand right above the center vent and it was hot, very hot. Not sure if I could cook a hot dog on it, but it was hot. I'll do a temp check with my pyrometer and report along with the before mentioned measurement.

Spaggs
The following users liked this post:
jjc508520 (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 01:58 AM
02torchred
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Have you noticed any better stability at higher speeds? If not, will you let us know?

Last edited by 02torchred; 06-28-2019 at 02:00 AM.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:30 AM
Spaggs
Racer

The car is rock solid at 95 mph, but the real test will be this coming September when I can hit speeds past 140 at Road Atlanta. I was kind of forced to put in the Trackspec vents because of all the air that is now flowing through the radiator, oil cooler and A/C condenser. It had no place to go except being stuck under the hood. Above is a photo of my "Swiss Cheese Mod." There is more freed up area for the air to escape out of the fan shroud.
It also allows me to blow out the dirt and debris from the rear towards the front. When I added the DeWitts radiator, it took up all of the wiggle room I needed to use a compressed air extension.

Spaggs

Get notified of new replies

To TrackSpac Hood Vents with some tips

Quick Reply: TrackSpac Hood Vents with some tips