C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator Shroud Swiss Cheese Mod

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 09:30 AM
Spaggs
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Radiator Shroud Swiss Cheese Mod

A couple of Forum members have asked me what my "Swiss Cheese Mod" is when it comes to the Radiator Shroud, so I figured I'd show a pic. I picked up a hole cutter kit from Ace Hardware with about five (5) different sizes. I did goof up on one cut, but fortunately it did not affect the rigidity of the Shroud structure. After making that cut, I flipped the shroud over so I could see the support ridges and then cut everywhere else other than on a support ridge. (I am definitely a slow learner). The idea was to try and keep the Radiator as clean as possible and since I added a DeWitts Radiator, I could no longer get my 90 degree air compressor spray nozzle in between the new/wider radiator and the shroud. So I came up with this idea. I figured with the 925 Setrab oil cooler and my newly installed Trackspec Hood Vents, there wouldn't be any problem with high water temps in traffic and that is the case. Also, notice my 1/4" Chicken Wire for keeping out the big stuff.

Just thought I'd share.

Spaggs

Old 07-14-2019, 12:22 PM
killian96ss
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 181 Posts

Cutting all those holes in the shroud will definitely increase airflow through the radiator, but it will also reduce the efficiency of the fans since they no longer have vacuum to pull air through at low speeds or when stopped. High speed cooling should improve while low speed cooling should suffer. How have your results been so far? I'm only asking because I've seen this mod done on cars that are tracked, but not cars that are street driven.

Steve
Old 07-14-2019, 03:28 PM
Spaggs
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

If I didn't do track days and most of my driving was commuting into Atlanta everyday, I wouldn't do a mod like this. Since I am semi-retired and live in the far north suburbs, there has been no difference in temps. I'm waiting for this September to see if the temps come down on the track.

Spaggs
Old 07-14-2019, 03:48 PM
killian96ss
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 181 Posts

Ya your track temps should be lower with increased air flow. I've also seen guys cut big holes in the shroud and then add rubber flaps to cover the holes. This allows low speed cooling as the flaps are closed, but when the air pressure increases when your driving it forces the flaps open to flow more air through the radiator. Some of the aftermarket shrouds have these flaps built in.

Steve

Get notified of new replies

To Radiator Shroud Swiss Cheese Mod

Quick Reply: Radiator Shroud Swiss Cheese Mod