C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 manual transmission linkage

Old 07-17-2019, 08:58 AM
num1racer
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default C5 manual transmission linkage

I am building a 1937 chevy truck using c5 drive train and suspension. I extended the torque tube 8.75 inches to match my wheel base and am looking to mount the shifter and extend the linkage back to the transmission. I was wondering if I made the linkage straight and took out the bend so that I could mount the shifter in the center of the torque tube and higher, if that would affect the shifting? It looks like as long as the pin on the transmission moves forward and backward and twists with the shifter movement, it should work. I don't know about reverse though. Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:30 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

As long as the two shafts (output from the shift box & input from the trans) line up vertically and horizontally , you should be good.

I would still use the swivels. As long as you are making your own shift rod, you can purchase a more robust swivel and weld it on the rod. Look for the steering shaft swivels that people use for custom steering shaft builds.

TMOD CUSTOMS
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ter-boxes.html

There is a forum member on this site that sells Remanufactured and IMPROVED shift boxes. Ide look into his shift boxes. He also sells reconditioned shift rods with the improved swivel ends.

Good luck on your project! It didn't happen without pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 07-17-2019 at 10:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
VFR RC46 (07-18-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 10:43 AM
num1racer
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
As long as the two shafts (output from the shift box & input from the trans) line up vertically and horizontally , you should be good.

I would still use the swivels. As long as you are making your own shift rod, you can purchase a more robust swivel and weld it on the rod. Look for the steering shaft swivels that people use for custom steering shaft builds.

TMOD CUSTOMS
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ter-boxes.html

There is a forum member on this site that sells Remanufactured and IMPROVED shift boxes. Ide look into his shift boxes. He also sells reconditioned shift rods with the improved swivel ends.

Good luck on your project! It didn't happen without pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill

Thanks Bill

chopped 3 inches, stretched 3 inches in the door and in way over my head!

The following 2 users liked this post by num1racer:
TastyBacon (07-17-2019), VFR RC46 (07-18-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 07:45 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Very cool!!

Get notified of new replies

To C5 manual transmission linkage

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C5 manual transmission linkage