C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing a faulty airbag - is it easy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2002, 01:34 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

Default Replacing a faulty airbag - is it easy?

My friend needs to replace a passenger side airbag on his 98 due to an intermittent failure.
The airbag lights comes on goes on the dash seems like the source is internal to the airbag itself.

So he just purchased a new airbag 98 on ebay for like $400 and he is wondering if can install it at his garage? he is pretty good with cars - installed an aftermarket clutch in his garage, etc.
How involved is the airbag installation process? Is it just plug and chug or is it more complex?
Old 11-14-2002, 01:43 PM
Mean Green
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI III & IV Vote Ho
CI II, III, IV & V Vet
CI IV Bracket Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default Re: Replacing a faulty airbag - is it easy? (PeterK)

I haven't done the passenger side, but I have done the steering wheel one and it was a piece of cake....that said, I think to get at that one and the whole dash has to come out, if he's not afraid of doing that.....have at it, just remember to disconnect the battery and wait a few hours to allow the capacitor to discharge, just in case :cheers:
Old 11-14-2002, 01:48 PM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

Default Re: Replacing a faulty airbag - is it easy? (Mean Green 2000)

Cool, I'll tell him that.
Is there any additional programming needed once it is installed?

I haven't done the passenger side, but I have done the steering wheel one and it was a piece of cake....that said, I think to get at that one and the whole dash has to come out, if he's not afraid of doing that.....have at it, just remember to disconnect the battery and wait a few hours to allow the capacitor to discharge, just in case :cheers:
Old 11-15-2002, 03:19 AM
larrysb
Race Director

Default Re: Replacing a faulty airbag - is it easy? (PeterK)

Be mighty careful of buying airbags from unknown sources. There's been a lot of them sold that have been stuffed with newspapers instead of airbags.
Old 11-15-2002, 10:47 AM
PeterK
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

Default Re: Replacing a faulty airbag - is it easy? (larrysb)

No he bought it from a close out of GM parts store. It came in the sealed GM box and everything. So I think it is the real deal.

Be mighty careful of buying airbags from unknown sources. There's been a lot of them sold that have been stuffed with newspapers instead of airbags.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing a faulty airbag - is it easy?

Quick Reply: Replacing a faulty airbag - is it easy?