C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zip cross-drilled & slotted rotors with Hawk pads combo package .. Opinions?

Old 02-05-2003, 11:23 AM
hypec5
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zip cross-drilled & slotted rotors with Hawk pads combo package .. Opinions?

Has anyone bought the Zip performance cross drilled & slotted rotors and the Hawk brake pads combination for $530 from the CorvetteForum mall? I'm curious as to the quality of the parts. Stock OEM rotors plus pads would cost me more, that's why I'm considering this Zip rotors/Hawk pads combo. I'm not necessarily looking for more stopping power, just for a good price on rotors and pads so I can do a good brake system refresher for my vette (which has 60,000 miles on it now). http://store.yahoo.com/corvetteforum/zip-db-551-gp.html Thoughts? Anyone buy this package? Satisfied? Complaints? Does anyone know if the Zip rotors are cast with the cross drilled holes or are they just stock rotors with drilled holes and slots? Are the tops of the cross-drilled holes beveled in slightly to avoid cracking between the holes?
Old 02-05-2003, 11:58 AM
Red Gump
Race Director

Default Re: Zip cross-drilled & slotted rotors with Hawk pads combo package .. Opinions? (hypec5)

looks like a pretty good deal to me, what is their warrantly like?
Old 02-05-2003, 12:08 PM
hypec5
Advanced

Default Re: Zip cross-drilled & slotted rotors with Hawk pads combo package .. Opinions? (Red Gump)

I don't know anything about their warranty. With it being brake system consumables, I doubt there's a long warranty of any sort. I just know its cheaper to replace all four rotors and pad sets with this Zip/Hawk combo than to buy all OEM replacement parts. Basically its cheaper, and if nothing else you get the "look" of a performance braking system.

I just really want to know if anyone has purchased anything from these guys before.
Old 02-05-2003, 12:15 PM
Snake Slayer
Melting Slicks

Received 511 Likes on 192 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Zip cross-drilled & slotted rotors with Hawk pads combo package .. Opinions? (hypec5)

I went with the DBA rotors's and Hawk Pads. The Hawks tend to dust alittle more, but I was looking for maximum stopping power.

Good Luck :cheers:
Old 02-05-2003, 12:33 PM
hypec5
Advanced

Default Re: Zip cross-drilled & slotted rotors with Hawk pads combo package .. Opinions? (Snake Slayer)

DBA's rotors?

What brand is that? Where can I find them?
Old 02-05-2003, 12:39 PM
OliverM5
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My opinion - those rotors are a waste of $$ and don't look that good anyway. Plus, you do not need the hawk pads for the street. Try and find a good price on Eradispeed rotors (around $600) and stay with the stock pads......

If you'd like, do some stainless lines and Motul racing fluid for an upgrade.....
Old 02-05-2003, 01:03 PM
hypec5
Advanced

Default Re: Zip cross-drilled & slotted rotors with Hawk pads combo package .. Opinions? (OliverM5)

So Hawk pads will be consumed to quickly on the street? What styles are these Eraispeed rotors offered in? Slotted? Cross-drilled and slotted?
Old 02-05-2003, 01:06 PM
OliverM5
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So Hawk pads will be consumed to quickly on the street? What styles are these Eraispeed rotors offered in? Slotted? Cross-drilled and slotted?
Hawk pads dust too much for street use. The stock pads stop very well, I use them with great results and they dust very little. The eradispeeds are cross-drilled and slotted.......call Shawn at the LAPD - he may be able to get you a great price.....
Old 02-05-2003, 01:23 PM
hypec5
Advanced

Default Re: Zip cross-drilled & slotted rotors with Hawk pads combo package .. Opinions? (OliverM5)

On the cross drilled holes of the Eradispeeds, are those holes beveled at the top slightly to help avoid that cross cracking that occurs between the drill holes on some cross drilled applications? How long have you had yours?
Old 02-05-2003, 02:43 PM
TriBlakC5
Racer

Baer Eradispeed Plus Rotors with Hawk HP Pads work for me. Good Luck.

:cheers: :blueangel: :cheers:
Old 02-05-2003, 03:07 PM
Sam Lin
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: Zip cross-drilled & slotted rotors with Hawk pads combo package .. Opinions? (TriBlakC5)

I'm not sure how a stock rotor/stock pad replacement can cost more than that $530 price? Stock rotors are $55 apiece shipped, so that's $220, then you have $310 to spend on pads if you want. Get Raybestos QS Ceramic pads, they're cheaper than stock, don't dust, perform like stock, and have a lifetime replacement warranty (never buy pads again!), my set was about $120. My local Checker and Pep Boys both carry them. For $340 you'll have totally new brakes that perform as well as any other stock-diameter rotor/stock caliper combo out there. IM or e-mail me for the source for the rotors.

Sam
Old 02-05-2003, 03:32 PM
hypec5
Advanced

Default Re: Zip cross-drilled & slotted rotors with Hawk pads combo package .. Opinions? (Sam Lin)

Damn .. that's a good price on OEM rotors. $55 each? Where? I'll shoot you an email.
Old 02-05-2003, 04:05 PM
Beer:30
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 118 Posts

My opinion - those rotors are a waste of $$ and don't look that good anyway. Plus, you do not need the hawk pads for the street. Try and find a good price on Eradispeed rotors (around $600) and stay with the stock pads......

If you'd like, do some stainless lines and Motul racing fluid for an upgrade.....
Yup :iagree:
See this thread http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=486319
I did buy the GM drilled/slotted rotors....never took delivery. I paid a bit over $200 more and ended up with eradispeeds all around. :D
They are awesome looking. Supposed to perform as well or better than stock if you season them properly. I have not had a chance to test the performance of them as I am still doing the breakin procedures for a few hundred more miles.
Old 02-06-2003, 09:38 AM
WTaylor
Racer

Default Re: Zip cross-drilled & slotted rotors with Hawk pads combo package .. Opinions? (fdupny)

The rotors in that pad/rotor combo are not cast rotors; they are drilled and the edges of the holes are rounded. These rotors are manufactured by the DANA corporation, who also make the GM DuraStop rotors. Finding a set of rotors that are cast will be quite expensive.

There is a one year warranty on our items, with an exception. We don't warranty racing application (autocross, SCCA competition...) due to excessive brake wear and extreme conditions.

Also, they are not plated rotors. If you want to maintain good looks through the Corvette's open-wheel design, I would recommend either painting the center of the rotor or using our C5 Brake Rotor Hats. We've found that plating tends to hurt performance, and generally doesn't last long under normal conditions.

The pads included in the kit are the HP pads, and NOT the HP Plus. The HPs do not dust nearly as much as the HP Plus' do. The HP Plus are designed more for performance use than the HPs so they tend to dust more.

If performance is what you're looking for, then we can get you SSBC's Force 10 package if you would like. But for the price, the rotor/pad kit is hard to beat.

Here's a picture of the pads and rotors installed on our '99:

I hope that clears some things up!

-West, Zip Products Sales Representative-
Old 02-06-2003, 10:18 AM
TNT C5
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

:chevy I've got the Eradispeeds on mine and i don't think you can beat the look! :D
Old 02-06-2003, 10:42 AM
chuckster
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

That is a Great price Period. If you don't race your car then do it.. Drilled and slotted rotors look awesome but don't hold up to abuse of track use..

But forget the Rotor hats... for the same price or less you can have the rotors Zinc Plated at any plating shop...

I have the Durastops and they look great...

But you MUST get them plated or they will look like Shiite!!! after one rain or car wash..
Old 02-06-2003, 11:28 AM
johnnyC5
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Zip cross-drilled & slotted rotors with Hawk pads combo package .. Opinions? (WTaylor)

Also, they are not plated rotors. If you want to maintain good looks through the Corvette's open-wheel design, I would recommend either painting the center of the rotor or using our C5 Brake Rotor Hats. We've found that plating tends to hurt performance, and generally doesn't last long under normal conditions.
those rotor hats are a good idea, and they look great.... but, i think way overpriced...

how much do the Durastop Rotors cost? for a complete set?

Get notified of new replies

To Zip cross-drilled & slotted rotors with Hawk pads combo package .. Opinions?

Old 02-06-2003, 01:18 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

DBA Rotors, Are available from LG Motorsports. They are Cross drilled and slotted, and made by the same company who makes the Erradispeeds.

We have a Corvette forum special price of $499 for the full set.
We are now the importer of these from Australia, and They are the same rotors that we use on our G-Stop Wilwood 6 piston upgrade.

They are a stock replacement, for the front and rear. And I must say, they are very high quality and good looking. That is why we went to the trouble to import them

Contact us if you have any questions.
Lou Gigliotti

Old 02-06-2003, 02:16 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Re: Zip cross-drilled & slotted rotors with Hawk pads combo package .. Opinions? (johnnyC5)

[QUOTE]those rotor hats are a good idea, and they look great.... but, i think way overpriced...QUOTE]

:iagree:

Come on, those little things should cost no more than $25 a piece, heck, I'd even pay $125 for a set, but what they are asking is ridiculous.

Lou, I'm came so close to buying your rotors, but, I had some buget problems :)

[Modified by CPT Z06, 9:24 PM 2/6/2003]
Old 02-06-2003, 08:34 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default Re: Zip cross-drilled & slotted rotors with Hawk pads combo package .. Opinions? (CPT Z06)

CPTZ06,
We have a lay-a-way plan. For real.

We can hold a set for you at this price, with just a 20% deposit.

Thanks,

Lou G

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Zip cross-drilled & slotted rotors with Hawk pads combo package .. Opinions?