C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happens if you accidentally pour in Coolant instead of Oil into motor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2003, 09:09 AM
kromberg
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: What happens if you accidentally pour in Coolant instead of Oil into motor? (wallstAL)

I knew a girl that once put oil in the radiator! :yesnod: :yesnod: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol:

At least her made the effort :D

Keith

Old 02-15-2003, 01:16 PM
Vette Virgin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What happens if you accidentally pour in Coolant instead of Oil into motor? (vetterdstr)

This is like saying " I drank a little bleach the other day". Do you think it will bother me. Change it now!!!! don't start it :smash: :smash:
Old 02-17-2003, 05:17 PM
zznotop
Intermediate

Default Re: What happens if you accidentally pour in Coolant instead of Oil into motor? (Hirohawa)

I know you want a: Yes,right! Everything is OKAY. Maybe!! HYPOTHETICALLY, of course....drain & refill (with cheap 20 weight oil), drain and refill again with 5w-20 or 30, start engine briefly, and finally drain and refill with Mobil 1. The water/coolant will always sink to the bottom of the pan. However, since (hypothetically) the engine has already been started, the damage (if any) has already been done (needle bearings in rockers, crank main bearings, cam bearings). So, hypothetically, change the oil, trade in the car, change your email screen name, buy a new car, and DON'T store premix in oil containers. Please advise as to hypothetical dealer taking car in trade and provide VIN #.

OR, after oil changes, drive it for awhile and see what happens!! Oh, get AAA and never work on your car after a night out drinking. Actually, don't even drive it after a night out drinking.
Old 02-17-2003, 06:04 PM
aces
Melting Slicks

Default Re: What happens if you accidentally pour in Coolant instead of Oil into motor? (Hirohawa)

I'm not saying that I did this.
:bs :bs
Old 02-17-2003, 06:53 PM
speedjohnson
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just drive it, then drain it... use the froth that ensues for whip on your latte'.
Old 02-17-2003, 09:14 PM
MC TORCH RED
Le Mans Master

Default Re: What happens if you accidentally pour in Coolant instead of Oil into motor? (speedjohnson)

tow it to some one a little smarter than you ,,,, :banghead: and then pray.. :blueangel:
Old 02-18-2003, 08:05 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,435 Likes on 779 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Re: What happens if you accidentally pour in Coolant instead of Oil into motor? (MC TORCH RED)

It sounds like you've been given some good advice. I believe most of us at some time have done something they'd rather not admit. You came to the right place and I hope no damage was done. For future reference, if you connect the battery backwards the following will happen:

1. The horn will suck.
2. The lights will cast a shadow.
3. The radio will listen.

:flag :seeya
Old 02-18-2003, 09:04 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Default Re: What happens if you accidentally pour in Coolant instead of Oil into motor? (aces)

I'm not saying that I did this.
Of course you didn't!! :bb :bb :rolleyes: :D :D :thumbs: :D
Old 02-18-2003, 10:31 PM
msuc5vette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: What happens if you accidentally pour in Coolant instead of Oil into motor? (3XBlack)

For future reference, if you connect the battery backwards the following will happen:

1. The horn will suck.
2. The lights will cast a shadow.
3. The radio will listen.

:flag :seeya
REALLY?!?! :smash:

These posts are hillarious, good luck with the engine. I hope you didn't destroy it. But... If you did, take a couple basic auto mechanics classes, and mod the hell out of your new motor.
Old 02-18-2003, 11:18 PM
DSTAUBIN
Intermediate

Default Re: What happens if you accidentally pour in Coolant instead of Oil into motor? (msuc5vette)

Come on guys. Quit pullin this guys chain. Antifreeze will not harm your engine if you drive around with it full of antifreeze. Hell, my automatic trans cooling lines go right into my radiator and that mixture doesn't harm my tranny at all!!!

Don't start flamin me. Just kidding, Just kidding. :bs :bs
Old 02-19-2003, 12:38 AM
Monster231
Safety Car

Default Re: What happens if you accidentally pour in Coolant instead of Oil into motor? (Racer1x)

I had a freind that did the same thing. Dont start you motor. Let it sit, Change the oil, and the filter if you started it. Run your motor for a few mins, and change the oil and filter agian
Old 02-19-2003, 09:55 AM
6SPD98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18- '19

Default Re: What happens if you accidentally pour in Coolant instead of Oil into motor? (3XBlack)

3XBLACK.....You live in Niceville Fl. ??
I guess if you play Country Music backward in Niceville you get back your wife, the pick-up truck, and your dog.
:flag :steering: :flag
Old 02-19-2003, 10:11 AM
MRWHOOPPEE
Safety Car

Default Re: What happens if you accidentally pour in Coolant instead of Oil into motor? (DSTAUBIN)

Come on guys. Quit pullin this guys chain. Antifreeze will not harm your engine if you drive around with it full of antifreeze. Hell, my automatic trans cooling lines go right into my radiator and that mixture doesn't harm my tranny at all!!!
:lolg: :lolg: :lolg:
Old 02-19-2003, 10:58 AM
arkindared
Racer

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Default Re: What happens if you accidentally pour in Coolant instead of Oil into motor? (Lancer033)

Drain it, leave the drain plug out get the car level and pour a couple quarts back in and let it drain out. It should be fine. :flag
Old 02-19-2003, 12:35 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Default Re: What happens if you accidentally pour in Coolant instead of Oil into motor? (arkindared)

After you have drained/flushed/exorcised your oil & filter a few times in quck succession, and think that everything is OK:
Drive it for a thousand miles and then send in an oil sample for analasys (sp?). I've used Blackstone Labs in Indiana, albeit for less embarassing reasons.
That will tell you if you have abnormal wear going on.
Old 02-20-2003, 05:11 AM
TexCorvette
Drifting

St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: What happens if you accidentally pour in Coolant instead of Oil into motor? (Gearhead Jim)

Don't worry half as much, though most of these post would seem to assume doom. If you mixed a few ounces, started the car and changed your oil after driving it normally and not in a high RPM situation or extended period of time, you will be perfectly fine, I'd almost bet on it. I’m not saying its impossible something negative could happen, but in reality the chances of a short term problem or swift and progressive ware due to this accident are not as high as what seems to be suggested here.

Crap, I've seen many blown head gaskets leak much more coolant then what you likely did on LS1 type engines, driving all the way home 40 plus miles and then changing the oil with no problems 6 months to 2 years later. Even an incident where a coolant throttle body bypass was botched up, running the car for at least 15 minutes pumping all the coolant in the engine before noticing and turning the oil milky brown, car is still fine much later.

Maybe this is due to some of the properties of the full synthetic mobil1 oil, however I have not seen many issues where this mixing of coolant caused a problem where it was not a extended period of time or under heavy use. I’ve seen my share of this accident cause by a verity of reason. I even talked to a tech at MTI last year about this and he agreed.

Just change your oil and filter (I'm going to assume you already started your car and drove it a little) ASP. Then in about 100 miles, do a second oil and filter change again. I’d want a few miles between changes to trap more of the containments for the next change and have some of the fresh oil start lubricating your parts, but not several days or weeks. Between these two changes, you might want to open the oil filler cap and let it vent and short and mild drives. You will notice moisture on the underside of the cap. Wipe it off, and do this after the car has been run a few times. This seems to help it dry out faster.

Again, after your initial post accident oil and filter change, do a second one very soon, and a 3rd one ahead schedule at about 2000 miles later, then back to your 3000 mile maintenance schedule. From past experiences, If you do this, I think you will be fine IMO. Worse case scenario is a rebuild for more power :D

[Modified by TexCorvette, 5:14 AM 2/20/2003]
Old 02-20-2003, 08:35 AM
J-Rod
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: What happens if you accidentally pour in Coolant instead of Oil into motor? (TexCorvette)

Water is much more damaging to an engine the antifreeze. I have plenty of motors with blown headgaskets twith plenty of "water" in the oil. I alos discussed it with my buddy who owns the machine shop. As long as you have plenty of antifreeze in the mix to keep corrosion from settling in, you should be fine. In fact, a couple of ounces of water should not be a big issue. Water gets in your oil anyway from condensation forming as the motor cools. In most cases when it gets up to temperature it flashes off. Depending on how much you got in there my advice would range anywhere from not to worrying about it, to changing my oil and not worrying about it... If you ever fill a motor with water (totally waste a head gasket) my advice is to put 5 gallons of diesel into the motor to displace the water, drain it, and fix your head gasket. In this case, I don't think you have any issue.

Quick Reply: What happens if you accidentally pour in Coolant instead of Oil into motor?