C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slam a C5?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 01:33 AM
TIKTGTR
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Slam a C5?

I've lowered mine with stock bolts but want to go much lower.I've read some posts where they removed the front bolts all together.Any trouble with alignment by doing this?Rubbing? I also have longer bolts for the rear. :flag
Old 02-19-2003, 01:49 AM
RWE 427
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Slam a C5? (TIKTGTR)

Sorry can't help you. I'm sure someone will chime in so TTT. By the way I love that sig picture! It makes me want to paint my Vette and buy some zo6 chromies. :cheers:
Old 02-19-2003, 02:50 AM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 280 Likes on 213 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Slam a C5? (RobsC5)

I would cut 2/3's of the bushings off the front bolts before I would take them out. I got mine very low in the front that way. But it is more work b/c you have to pull the spindle and sway bar apart to get to it...
Old 02-19-2003, 03:53 AM
intel55
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Used coil overs to slam.... went a TAD to far :D :D :D and raised it back up ...opsss it really sucked until I raised it back up.

Old 02-19-2003, 03:59 AM
JackAttack
Drifting

Default Re: Slam a C5? (intel55)

And Zora Arkus-Duntov cringed...
Old 02-19-2003, 09:27 AM
UtahVince
Pro

Default Re: Slam a C5? (intel55)

Used coil overs to slam.... went a TAD to far :D :D :D and raised it back up ...opsss it really sucked until I raised it back up.

Man, that is low! Do you have a skid pad under that thing :D
Old 02-19-2003, 09:34 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't do it. That said, you should be able to just remove the lower shock bolts and get enough room to take the front adjusters out. In fact, you'll probably have to replace the shocks anyway with some that won't bottom out. Bilstein Sports work well on a friend of mine that lowered his lower than stock.

But, the problem that I see with removing the adjuster complete is that you'll have all of the load on the front being concentrated on the very end of the leaf spring, on it's corner. I'd think that corner would start crushing after some period of time, or it might do some wear damage to the lower control arm.

I'd cut the front rubber bushings on the adjuster bolts down first. See how you like it after a few hundred miles. You can always take the bolts out later.

Hope this helps,
Mike

[Modified by VetteDrmr, 8:36 AM 2/19/2003]
Old 02-19-2003, 09:44 AM
ICULUKN-C5
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Slam a C5? (UtahVince)

Man, that is low! Do you have a skid pad under that thing :D
WOW!!! :eek:
Old 02-19-2003, 10:36 AM
00c5coupe
Pro

cut 2/3 of front bushing and longer bolt on the back. It will drop very low and looks perfect to me.
Old 02-19-2003, 06:31 PM
kwik8racr
Drifting

I took the front adjusters out of mine, and added longer bolts in the back. I added the Bilstien Sports also, a must if you are going to go this low! :yesnod: All the old timers will tell you not to do it, but mine has been like this for 2 years and never had one problem! :cheers:

Old 02-19-2003, 11:44 PM
TIKTGTR
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Slam a C5? (kwik8racr)

Will the new Bilstien shocks keep it from riding like a brick truck or what? :steering: kwik8racr,any trouble aligning the front without the bolts or are those just for adjusting ride height?Any rubbing at all.Car looks great and thanks for the input guys!! :reddevil
Old 02-19-2003, 11:52 PM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

Default Re: Slam a C5? (kwik8racr)

One thing to keep in mind, bilstein sport shocks are about 13" compressed to their bump stops in the front. That measurement equates to about 13 1/4" from the spindle centerline to the wheel well lip. It will squeeze down a bit more, but the ride really suffers at that point.

If you find a shorter shock, it might be good to know that the lower A arm hits the frame at 12" spindle center line to wheel well opening. so even if you get the car down to 13", your ride is going to really suffer.

If you are committed to go low, you should absolutely run rocker panel skid strips to keep from tearing up the bottom of your car going over speed bumps and driveways.

I used to run at about 13" in front and 13 3/4" in the rear, I was tearing the car apart on driveways so I am now up to 14 1/4" in front and 15" in the rear and am happy with the ride and ground clearance. Most people still think that the car looks low and cool, so I can live with that.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:12 AM
kwik8racr
Drifting

Will the new Bilstien shocks keep it from riding like a brick truck or what? :steering: kwik8racr,any trouble aligning the front without the bolts or are those just for adjusting ride height?Any rubbing at all.Car looks great and thanks for the input guys!! :reddevil
No problems aligning, except for finding some one to do it, had a hard time finding a shop that we could get it in. No rubbing at all, anywhere. With the Bilstiens the ride is not bad at all, the only time you notice it is if there is a big bump in the road, but hell I drive a dump truck for a living, so anything rides better than that to me! :D It's just the price you pay if you want to look cool!! :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To Slam a C5?

Quick Reply: Slam a C5?