C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crankshaft Reluctor Wheel what happens If

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 09:24 PM
97Redflame
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crankshaft Reluctor Wheel what happens If

I was wondering if anyone has ever had any problems with there crankshaft reluctor wheel on a new motor. I was wondering what would happen if these were to move would they through a code and put your motor into a reduce power state and throw the timeing off and if so does anyone no what code it might throw. Looking for some help Thanks
Old 03-09-2003, 09:32 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

Default Re: Crankshaft Reluctor Wheel what happens If (97Redflame)

I was wondering if anyone has ever had any problems with there crankshaft reluctor wheel on a new motor.
I have been on this board for 4 years now, and I have never heard of what it is that you are talking about. The word in Websters dictionary "reluctor" didnt know what you are talking about either. Can you please explain what Reluctor is? :confused:

Is it like a piston return spring? :smash:

vetterdstr :cheers:
Old 03-09-2003, 10:23 PM
Redline Motorsports
Melting Slicks

Received 124 Likes on 84 Posts

Default Re: Crankshaft Reluctor Wheel what happens If (vetterdstr)

The reluctor wheel is located on the back of the crankshaft. On the side of the block is the crank sensor. As the crank spins the wheel passes by the sensor providing the exact location of the crankshaft. The PCM uses this and the cam sensor, among other sensors, to accurately determine spark and fuel calibration. If the reluctor wheel is moved it WILL effect the performance of the engine. Why are you questioning the wheel?
Old 03-09-2003, 10:52 PM
97Redflame
Instructor

Default Re: Crankshaft Reluctor Wheel what happens If (9D9LS1)

I had a motor built and I have a code coming up 10-pcm P1336 and cant figure out why and the car has no power and was wonder if anyone new anymore about this code and if the reluctor wheel was mis alind if this would cause this code to appear and cause the motor to loose power. Thanks for responding to my post. If you know anything else about this please respond. I know this code has something to do with the crankshaft sensor and reading the crankshaft reluctor wheel.
Old 03-09-2003, 10:57 PM
lost
Drifting

Can't happen on an LS1, it is not a separate part, but is integral part of the crankshaft casting....
Old 03-09-2003, 11:00 PM
97Redflame
Instructor

Also I think this code is called a crankshaft learn code. Those are some great looking cars. I grew up in Rome NY. and raced a few bikes at Watkins track. It is a great track way out in the middle of sticks. Thanks again
Old 03-09-2003, 11:34 PM
66ImpalaLT1
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Crankshaft Reluctor Wheel what happens If (97Redflame)

Talk to Pro Stock John, one of the owners of ls1tech.com. He is the only person I've ever heard of thats had a reluctor wheel problem.

This was on a built motor.

Eric
Old 03-09-2003, 11:43 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

Default Re: Crankshaft Reluctor Wheel what happens If (66ImpalaLT1)

Thanks guys for the explanation... I learn something new here every day! :)

vetterdstr :cheers:
Old 03-10-2003, 07:25 AM
Redline Motorsports
Melting Slicks

Received 124 Likes on 84 Posts

Default Re: Crankshaft Reluctor Wheel what happens If (vetterdstr)

lost,

It is not an intregal part of the crank. Lunati, for example, buys them from GM and presses them on there new cranks. If you heat it with a torch, it will fall right off. I have taken them off before to balance the crank on some balancing machines. If you properly mark it prior to removal your OK!
Old 03-10-2003, 08:49 AM
J-Rod
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I was about to mention Pro Stock John. Goo look for his posts on LS1tech. He chased problems for months. The car would launch hard, then fall on its face. It was the reluctor wheel...
Old 03-10-2003, 09:14 AM
Chris@East Coast Supercharging
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Crankshaft Reluctor Wheel what happens If (J-Rod)

I was about to mention Pro Stock John. Goo look for his posts on LS1tech. He chased problems for months. The car would launch hard, then fall on its face. It was the reluctor wheel...
Those are the problems that make ya :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Old 03-10-2003, 09:35 AM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Default Re: Crankshaft Reluctor Wheel what happens If (CHRIS NJ C5)

I'm not 100% sure thats was causing the problem with John's car, since it was never properly tested its still just a guess. He had a lot of endplay on his crank and thats what they think was the problem, on a hard launch the wheel would move out of sensor range (sounds like star trek eh). Its unlikely that the PCM would lose the signal from the CPS and never set a code but anything is possible..

Has anyone actually had one of those wheels off? I'm just wondering if they are keyed or indexed somehow. I have never had a crank out of one of these yet..
Old 03-10-2003, 10:10 AM
'97 C5
Pro

Default Re: Crankshaft Reluctor Wheel what happens If (kp)

If they have more than .010 runout or the crank has excessive endplay (not sure on that spec - but it is tight <.008) you are in for issues.

Have a GM tech do a crank position learn with a tech II and check the crank position sensor (it's located on the pass side of the block in the back)
Old 03-10-2003, 10:15 AM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 437 Likes on 234 Posts

Default Re: Crankshaft Reluctor Wheel what happens If ('97 C5)

What exactly did they do to your motor when it was rebuilt. With some pistons the #8 has to be notched for the reluctor ring. If this was not done the piston can hit the ring and break. When mine was rebuilt no clearance was necessary because my pistons hardly have a skirt. Has the shop that built your motor, built an LS1 before??? That is the first question I would ask.
Old 03-10-2003, 12:41 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Default Re: Crankshaft Reluctor Wheel what happens If ('97 C5)

.010 isnt much room for error. I thing John had ~010-015 endplay (or maybe more) which is a lot for an LS1. I forget what the spec is but .008 sounds about right - it isnt much. I would have hooked a DSO to that sensor and recorded it, a problem would have been pretty obvious. But if the spec was .010 and the sensor ring was on too far forward I can see a problem..

I was curious about how it was indexed since i have seen a couple times where the timing doesnt make sense. Some cars with 11:1 are showing 30 degres with no detonation and a similar compression/cam on another cant go over 22. I realize there are a lot of variables involved, vaccum leaks, injectors. carbon etc. Just curious..
Old 01-30-2019, 03:33 PM
07_ss_sc
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 97Redflame
I was wondering if anyone has ever had any problems with there crankshaft reluctor wheel on a new motor. I was wondering what would happen if these were to move would they through a code and put your motor into a reduce power state and throw the timeing off and if so does anyone no what code it might throw. Looking for some help Thanks
I know this was posted a long time ago but my cobalt SS LSJ had the same problem and from what I gathered if the wrong crank sensor is put in it will cause improper contact between the wheel and sensor causing the wheel to break off.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:00 PM
ASRoff
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

reluctor wheel change how to....

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...your-ls-crank/

Get notified of new replies

To Crankshaft Reluctor Wheel what happens If

Quick Reply: Crankshaft Reluctor Wheel what happens If