C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SFI Approved Underdrive Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 08:47 PM
0Mike@NorrisMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Default SFI Approved Underdrive Pulley

I am just gauging what interest there would be in an SFI approved 10% underdrive pulley with a key way cut into it already and timing marks. This would be a 6 rib design for now and run $295 with 2 belts and a crank bolt. Compared to the ATI SFI unit it is about $150-200 less. Not knocking the ATI quality at all as it is excellent. Just another SFI approved option. I have been using an F-body model of this balancer for a while and is working out great so far. I should also not have the back order problems that ASP usually runs into where they are not available for months at a time and around the same price.

Let me know here and I will see what I can get done. Those wanting to order can post here also as well as call or e-mail me.

Later and thanks in advance :cheers:

Mike
Old 03-12-2003, 09:16 PM
scool93535
Drifting

Default Re: SFI Approved Underdrive Pulley (Vette Doc)

I could be interested. I'll keep my ear to the ground to see if this comes to be.

Instead of a key way, I saw in Vette magazine that the Magnison SC kit for the C5 comes with a template for drilling the pulley and shaft. I'd be more inclined to go that way since it gets both the crank and pulley at the same time. I don't know how I'd get the crank cut to handle a keyed pulley?

:cheers:

Steve :lurk:

[Modified by scool93535, 6:19 PM 3/12/2003]
Old 03-13-2003, 07:48 AM
0Mike@NorrisMotorsports
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11

Default Re: SFI Approved Underdrive Pulley (scool93535)

If it goes it will be very soon, most likely by the end of the month. The reason it has a keyway already is since it is SFI certified and has timing marks it is more designed for racing applications and done properly. It can still be "broached" as you described if need be as I have done this before.

Later,

Mike
Old 03-13-2003, 01:35 PM
TLewis4095
Le Mans Master

Sounds good Mike! I would be interested!! And I bet several more of the Corvette Challenge participants would also. :cheers:
Old 03-14-2003, 12:19 PM
johnnyC5
Burning Brakes

what kinda gains can u realize with this 10% U/D pulley vs. the 25% U/D pulley from ASP?

what is it made of? steel , aluminum ....?

i would be interested also.

Would be cool to offer an initial GP / introductory type sale on it to the forum for the "launch" of this product.
Old 03-14-2003, 01:08 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

As long as it was some sort of damper and not a solid hub that would be a good deal. Also if it was lighter then stock it would be a real good deal :)

I have an ATI and its a nice unit but even the 10%UD aluminum one I have is still heavier then a stock damper. Plus I dont like the bolts that stick out of the front, they are way too close the rack. At the dragstip on a good hook they are hitting the rack which is not a good thing. I just ground them down but I still dont like it..
Old 03-15-2003, 09:03 AM
0Mike@NorrisMotorsports
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11

Default Re: SFI Approved Underdrive Pulley (johnnyC5)

Tracy,

Sounds good.

johnnyC5,

It is made of steel and should be worth 3-5RWHP. I will get in a test hopefully shortly after I get them. Actually looks like 2 weekd out right now.

kp,

It is going to be about 2lbs lighter than stock, but again I need to get one here and weigh them to be sure. There is no extra bolts hanging out like the ATI so pulley to rack clearance will be like stock. It is a 2 piece design with a rubber insert similar to the stock design.

Later,

Mike
Old 03-15-2003, 10:51 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Thanks, I'm sure if you make them avaialble at that price (key word avaiable) they will sell. If it weighs the same as stock thats ok too - its that little sticker that is nice to have :)

I weighed the three I had here a while back if you want to compare your numbers when you weigh a stock one:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=447015

I havent had the scale calibrated in years but its fairly accurate..
Old 03-25-2003, 07:22 AM
0Mike@NorrisMotorsports
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11

Default Re: SFI Approved Underdrive Pulley (kp)

Thanks kp,

That helps for sure and I will check it afainst the new balancer/pulley when they arrive.

Mike
Old 03-25-2003, 10:11 AM
2000^C5
Race Director

Mike,
Off-topic, how is the car doing? :D
Old 03-25-2003, 12:25 PM
Operations
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 231 Likes on 132 Posts

I think I would be intrested, BTW can the crank be keyed in the car?

And another question, seeing how our cars are presently unkeyed, how do we put this on so that the timing marks are correct?

Possibly move the #1 pistion to TDC and eyeball-it (putting the pulley on)?

Just curious :smash:
Old 03-25-2003, 02:29 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Default Re: SFI Approved Underdrive Pulley (Operations)

ATI sells a kit to drill the crank in the car using a round dowell for a machined balancer keyway. They put a couple short dowels that are on a 90 degree angle from the crank snout - kinda hard to describe. You could make your own fixture also. ATI (the blower ATI not the ATI balancer company) sells a kit that drills through the balancer and crank from the front. An OK system unless you have to try to get the stupid thing lined back up if you pull off the damper :)

All you have to do is find a way to stop the #1 piston and make sure it stops the same distance from TDC when it stops in both directions. Eyeballing TDC will be within 3-5 degrees, depends how accurate you want to be. :cheers:

[Modified by kp, 2:30 PM 3/25/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To SFI Approved Underdrive Pulley

Quick Reply: SFI Approved Underdrive Pulley