C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which run flats are best?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 01:59 PM
stanpeek
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which run flats are best?

I want to stick with run flats. When I look at Firestone Firehawks, they look a little small. The Michelin Sport A/S look OK, but I really don't need a snow tire. Any thoughts?
Old 04-14-2003, 04:11 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Default Re: Which run flats are best? (stanpeek)

Which run flats are best?
what's your criteria:

* smooth ride
* straight line traction
* rain
* mileage
* lowest noise

???????

throw us a bone here. :)

[Modified by Mike Mercury, 4:12 PM 4/14/2003]
Old 04-14-2003, 04:14 PM
Mitch Alsup
Racer

I want to stick with run flats. <anip> Any thoughts?
Reconsider the first statement.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:14 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Wait, it is a trick question!
Old 04-14-2003, 05:56 PM
stanpeek
Advanced

Default Re: Which run flats are best? (Mitch Alsup)

Low noise and smooth ride are most important. I want a tire that rides nice and doesn't follow ruts. Needs to be OK dry and wet performance, but I don't race or drive real hard. Does that help?
Old 04-14-2003, 06:42 PM
Red Gump
Race Director

Low noise and smooth ride are most important. I want a tire that rides nice and doesn't follow ruts. Needs to be OK dry and wet performance, but I don't race or drive real hard. Does that help?
firestone runflats may be your best bet then. prior to my firestones I had the oems, I noticed a great difference in ride (better), noise (much less), the grip seems to be the same, maybe better, and the longevity is much better. oem's had to be replaced at 25k but the firestones are still doing well at 30k (just changed the rears but fronts have a lot of life in 'em still). they are a little smaller, not sure if that matters to you.
Old 04-14-2003, 08:54 PM
AF-Vette
Instructor

Default Re: Which run flats are best? (Red Gump)

The Yokahama AVS Sport now comes in a run-flat version. They are MUCH quieter than the Goodyears and they are also stickier. I have been running them for about 3 months now and I will not go back! The only down side is maybe tread life. Since they are softer than the GY's I think they may wear faster.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:26 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Default Re: Which run flats are best? (AF-Vette)

I'm in the same boat as you. My rear OEM tires only have 12,000 miles on them and they are toast, but I smok'um regularly. :thumbs: Like you, I insist on runflats. I refuse to take a trip w/ the prospect of being stranded by a flat tire. My research can be summarized as follows:
There are only 4 makes of RF tires: Goodyear, Firestone, Michelin, and Yokahama. Speaking of rear tires only, the stones are approx $275, the other 3 run $317 to $337 . I decided I didn't want the OEM's. I can't help but think the other 3 are better based on the fact that they were developed later and based on positive feedback here. I ruled out the Michelins because they are now only offered in an all season (as you mentioned) and, based on my correspondence w/ Luke at tire rack, A/S tires compromise dry and wet performance in order to do well in the snow. We don't get too much snow in the Houston area. I didn't want the stones because they aren't as wide. They are probably very good tires (based on positive feedback here) and I probably couldn't even tell the difference in width w/o a ruler but I protest the fact that Firestone made them narrower.....I voted w/ my wallet. Therefore, I ordered 2 Yoko's for the rear today. Yes, I am going to mix and match w/ the OEM's on the front.... :eek: they still look like new. I am concerned about the treadwear of the Yoko's but based on the above reasons, I'm going Yoko. Sully posted in my thread (see my thread in C5 general about Yoko's and treadwear) saying that he has 10,000 on his Yoko RF's and they still look new and his C5 has a 427 ! , so maybe there's hope for me on the treadwear. If Michelin still made a RF that wasn't A/S , I probably would have bought those....if I could get over the French thing :flag

[Modified by need-for-speed, 9:31 PM 4/14/2003]
Old 04-15-2003, 03:12 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Re: Which run flats are best? (need-for-speed)

There are also the BFG KD-SSS tires, which are the stickiest of all mentioned. They are a HUGE improvement over the EMTs and are quieter.

These are made by Michelin and are a max. grip tire. Probably not so good in the rain, but I wouldn't know :D :D

[Modified by TTRotary, 3:55 PM 4/16/2003]
Old 04-15-2003, 04:55 PM
Busted Knuckle
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Which run flats are best? (TTRotary)

Just bought the second set of "Made in USA" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZP's and they change the entire driving experience of the C5. Low noise, great feel for the road. No more skipping around corners. As for the snow tire thing, I don't think any body would confuse these with snow tires if you saw them on the car. :D :cheers: :flag
Old 04-15-2003, 09:07 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I have to recommend the Michelin tires. I just put a set on my 01 about a thousand miles ago, and am totally satisfied. They are much quieter than the GY, have as much dry traction and are a lot better in the wet. The wear index is over 400 so good mileage should not be a problem. They are All Season tires but you would never confuse the agressive tread pattern for snow tires. :D

Get notified of new replies

To Which run flats are best?

Quick Reply: Which run flats are best?