C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any ideas what this squeak could be from?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 02:07 PM
blackvette1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any ideas what this squeak could be from?

My car recently started making a squeaking noise from the front end whenever I go over bumps such as speed bumps or also if the highway is really bumpy/wavy I can here it. Any ideas on what this could be, is it the shocks? The car just hit 60k miles. :confused:
Old 04-21-2003, 06:47 PM
TexasRedZ06
Drifting

Default Re: Any ideas what this squeak could be from? (blackvette1)

My car recently started making a squeaking noise from the front end whenever I go over bumps such as speed bumps or also if the highway is really bumpy/wavy I can here it. Any ideas on what this could be, is it the shocks? The car just hit 60k miles. :confused:

The usual culprits for front end squeeking is...............

1) Front Sway Bar bushings. More noticeable at lower speeds and especially during slow parking lot corners where you are putting heavy load on just one side of the car. The sound is more like a creak than a squeek. Solution is to remove the 2 bushings and use a heavy grade grease...... like the stuff used for wheel bearings.

2) Hood bumpers. The hood has 4 rubber bumpers that can cause an audible squeek. More noticeable during slow driving like going up and down your driveway and speed bumps. Solution is to use armorall or lexal on the rubber bumpers to make them slippery. Car wax also works.

You could also have a bad shock or loose bushing in the front end. Bad shocks will normally leak fluid down the side.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:25 PM
SteveL2
Team Owner

Received 209 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Any ideas what this squeak could be from? (blackvette1)

Sorry if this sounds dopey, but I had one I couldn't find for the longest time, and it ended up being my seat belt retractor. It would squeak at bumps because the belt was pulling slightly at that time, causing just enough rotation of the retractor to squeak.

Eventually, it went away on its own. Good luck. :seeya
Old 04-22-2003, 08:24 AM
Waterfreak
Racer

Default Re: Any ideas what this squeak could be from? (SteveL2)

Sorry if this sounds dopey, but I had one I couldn't find for the longest time, and it ended up being my seat belt retractor. It would squeak at bumps because the belt was pulling slightly at that time, causing just enough rotation of the retractor to squeak.

Eventually, it went away on its own. Good luck. :seeya
Thanks for reminding me about that EXACT squeek. I'm going to go spray some silicone lube on the pivot point.

Get notified of new replies

To Any ideas what this squeak could be from?

Quick Reply: Any ideas what this squeak could be from?