C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[VIDEO] My First Track Times with my new LUNATI 382 Stroker..

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 12:43 AM
vstella
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default [VIDEO] My First Track Times with my new LUNATI 382 Stroker..

Well, I didn't really know what to expect the first time at the track with my new Lunati 382. I didn't know how to launch with the new H.P./TQ. and I could of picked a better day..The weather was absolutely offensive..It's been just miserable here in South Florida lately.. Africa Hot ..Brazil Humid and soggy for the last two weeks ...BUT... I just went for it anyway....Sometimes ..you just gotta say WTF.. :smash: So here's the GOOD..The BAD and The UGLY :rolleyes:

THE UGLY....My first pass was a disaster..Whatever success I 've had was to do a long burnout..get the Nitto's Hot and sticky and launch at about 1300 and nail the gas and FLASH the YANK SS3800...well..That didn't work :nono: I ended up just spinning thru 1st AND 2nd ..just a embarassing 13.10 @110... :bb :bb ..So that was NOT the way to launch..

THE BAD..I suppose that the Nitto DR's are a good tire for most of you..and frankly they have served me well in the past...BUT...this was starting to get really frustrating..Trying to launch this new beast with 490 RWT with 3.73's and a YANK SS3800 was going to take some creative technique..The bottom line was ..it was all I could do to just stick the throttle a little ..get on to the sticky part of the track and go from there..NOT FUN and NOT an easy chore..But I tried anyway..a different technique on every run. I ran a 11.77..11.53..11.46 all still spinning a little less every time but never using the full potential of this new car of mine...I'm getting there but what I really need is TRACTION....Basically E.T. Streets!!! :yesnod: I continue anyway..the trooper I am..

THE GOOD..I'm getting the launch under control..not great but better..still slipping.. but better. So.....I draw a 427 Chevelle who dials in a 11.00 and I dial in a 12.90 since I just didn't give a damn anymore ..totally frustrated but I figure I would just give it another go. This was just a test and tune night and I was in the dial in lane because ther are NO imports!! The run was my best of the evening..NOT GREAT..but not bad either..11.37@121 with a 1.63 60' and I'm feelin a little better now..just a little. BTW..No Nitrous..ALL MOTOR!

I think there is a CCW Wheel /Tire package in my future...Drag Radials are just NOT going to cut it anymore....This car has 10's in it...I'm SURE of it!!!

Here are a couple of tonite's videos....just to give you a peek at my first experience with my new stroker at the track..Enjoy! :D

But.... I'll be back..and in the 10's..YOU CAN BET ON IT!! :smash: Besides I like the 10 second club Avatar better than the 11.. :lol: :lol:

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/vst...oso1137wmv.wmv
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/vstella//1146wmv.wmv
Old 05-15-2003, 12:56 AM
BLU-BY-U
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: [VIDEO] My First Track Times with my new LUNATI 382 Stroker.. (vstella)

looking (and sounding) good! congrats! :cheers:
Old 05-15-2003, 02:23 AM
Face
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: [VIDEO] My First Track Times with my new LUNATI 382 Stroker.. (BLU-BY-U)

Would you order those CCW's already so we can see what she'll do! :cheers:
Still some impressive times on Nittos! :eek:
Old 05-15-2003, 06:26 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Default Re: [VIDEO] My First Track Times with my new LUNATI 382 Stroker.. (BLU-BY-U)

:cool:
Old 05-15-2003, 06:37 AM
quimbo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: [VIDEO] My First Track Times with my new LUNATI 382 Stroker.. (vstella)

Vince keep with it the 10's will come soon enough I am sure of that LOL

QUIMBO :seeya :seeya :steering: :party: :chevy SEEYAAAH

Old 05-15-2003, 08:39 AM
vstella
Le Mans Master

Default Re: [VIDEO] My First Track Times with my new LUNATI 382 Stroker.. (Face)

Would you order those CCW's already so we can see what she'll do! :cheers: Still some impressive times on Nittos!:eek: ....Face
I'm sure that's the way I'm heading. :yesnod: ...but I wonder does anyone feel it's safe to drive to the track (30 miles) with this drag setup on the car..How would it handle?... :rolleyes:
Old 05-15-2003, 09:02 AM

I am sure someone will chime in here, but I have heard of several people driving with the drage setup.

Congrats on the track times! I saw your car dyno this past Saturday, did the get it tuned properly for you?

Matt
Old 05-15-2003, 09:04 AM
MattG
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In I, II, III, IV & V Veteran
CI-I & II Auto-X Champ

Vince, you did awesome on your first night out with the new motor!! :cheers: :cheers:

A 1.6 with a set of Nittos and your car's power is definitely respectable as well. I do think with the CCW drag setup and a bit of suspension tweaking you will be into the 10s. :smash: :smash:

As far as driving home on the CCW Drag setup, dont worry about that at all. Just put some more air in them when you are done racing and make the 30 mile trip home, they will handle it fine. I know of people that drive two or three times as far to the track on them and have no problems whatsoever. They might not be the best in rain, but if you took your time you would make it no probs.

Again, CONGRATS!! :cheers: :smash: :smash:
Old 05-15-2003, 09:06 AM
2001 Red Coupe Bandit
Melting Slicks

Default Re: [VIDEO] My First Track Times with my new LUNATI 382 Stroker.. (nitrosuzie)

Enjoy the new ride. You definately need some new tires to hook that beast. Good Luck. My BFG's are perfect for me, and I can barely break them loose unkless I try really hard to, but for that set up you neet some M/T ET Streets :yesnod:

The Bandit..............

P.S. I might have a Thunder 224 Cam and an ASP Pully in by this weekend :D
Old 05-15-2003, 09:16 AM
Crushinator
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Re: [VIDEO] My First Track Times with my new LUNATI 382 Stroker.. (2001 Red Coupe Bandit)

Way to go! I'm sure it's got 10's in it! She's mean! :reddevil
Old 05-15-2003, 09:38 AM
NEPTUNEBILL
Melting Slicks

Default Re: [VIDEO] My First Track Times with my new LUNATI 382 Stroker.. (Face)

:iagree: ET's and 10's, this is a great setup and man your car sounds great, hard to believe its only 382ci it sounds hugh and runs like it congrads
Old 05-15-2003, 09:48 AM
RWhite
Melting Slicks

Default Re: [VIDEO] My First Track Times with my new LUNATI 382 Stroker.. (NEPTUNEBILL)

Vince, looks like you're back in the saddle again! :cheers:
Old 05-15-2003, 09:50 AM
IMQUIK
Le Mans Master

That is one bad biatch!
Go A4's!!
Old 05-15-2003, 10:25 AM
90 droptop
Melting Slicks

Default Re: [VIDEO] My First Track Times with my new LUNATI 382 Stroker.. (IMQUIK)

He Vince, congrats on getting that badboy hookin n lookin again. Tens on the motor = awesopme!!! Congrats :cheers:
Old 05-15-2003, 11:00 AM
vstella
Le Mans Master

Default Re: [VIDEO] My First Track Times with my new LUNATI 382 Stroker.. (MattG)

......As far as driving home on the CCW Drag setup, dont worry about that at all.:smash: MattG
Matt..You haven't steered me wrong yet..I'll look into it with John at CCW..It's just more money I don't have....Mod fever strikes again..I'm hopeless :lol: Now what his (CCW) website again...??
Old 05-15-2003, 11:09 AM
MattG
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In I, II, III, IV & V Veteran
CI-I & II Auto-X Champ

Now what his (CCW) website again...??
http://www.ccwheel.com

[Modified by MattG, 11:09 AM 5/15/2003]
Old 05-15-2003, 11:14 AM
WALLstAL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05

Congrats, that is one bad motor! :cheers:

The only draw back with M/T ET Streets is WET STREETS :yesnod:

Complete Custom Wheels
(386) 258-0083

Get notified of new replies

To [VIDEO] My First Track Times with my new LUNATI 382 Stroker..

Old 05-15-2003, 11:16 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Vince, my dad always said, if you don't get it right the first time, try, try and try again. :)

Now get out there and smoke the competition. :smash:
Old 05-15-2003, 11:29 AM
JR-CRUZN-C5
Burning Brakes

I had NO luck with nittos - once they broke loose the run was OVER!!!!!
ET Streets - different story I can launch with NO tire spin or I can play with air pressure (up to 19 lbs) and launch with some spin. The tires will HOOK quickly after breaking loose (if they do). The fact they wrinkle is a huge factor in getting and keeping traction. Do NOT mix tires, if you go to ET Streets then match them with a bias ply front tire. My set of ET Streets and skinnies are 82 lbs. LIGHTER then my 315 Grand Sport setup and about 123 lbs. lighter then my stock run flat setup which is also an important factor in 1/4 times!!

JR :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 05-15-2003, 11:35 AM
Austrian Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Congrats Vince!! :cheers:

That´s good times all motor with your tire setup!! :smash:

Sure 10`s soon!!!

Michael

Quick Reply: [VIDEO] My First Track Times with my new LUNATI 382 Stroker..