C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING/SERVICE TRACTION SYSTEM LIGHT ON - HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 04:27 PM
NxtLevl007
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING/SERVICE TRACTION SYSTEM LIGHT ON - HELP!!!

so, I'm sitting in traffic on the way home from work today and I hear a chime and SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING/SERVICE TRACTION SYSTEM message come up. Oh great I thought!!!!

well, i have a 2000, but only 32.5K miles, but no warranty since it expired in Jan 2003.

have any of you got this message and is it expensive to fix??? thanx.
Old 07-03-2003, 04:48 PM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING/SERVICE TRACTION SYSTEM LIGHT ON - HELP!!! (NxtLevl007)

My 01 Z06 does it every once in a while. When I took it in for the last of the warranty work they said that they reprogrammed the computer. It still does it every month or two. When I restart the car the next time, the message is gone. :confused:
Old 07-03-2003, 04:49 PM
NxtLevl007
Racer

Default Re: SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING/SERVICE TRACTION SYSTEM LIGHT ON - HELP!!! (gmblack3)

so does you active handling work when it goes away?
Old 07-03-2003, 04:51 PM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING/SERVICE TRACTION SYSTEM LIGHT ON - HELP!!! (gmblack3)

I used to have it once every few weeks, especially after an odd bump. The car should act fine tomorrow. Haven't had it for a year now.
Old 07-03-2003, 05:04 PM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Default Re: SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING/SERVICE TRACTION SYSTEM LIGHT ON - HELP!!! (NxtLevl007)

When the warning comes on, you can hit reset on the DIC. The yellow light that AH is off will be on, its located on the tach or somewhere around there. It looks like the back of a C% going on a twisty road. You now do not have AH.

When I get gas or whatever and restart the car everything is back to normal.

so does you active handling work when it goes away?
Old 07-03-2003, 05:44 PM
2k4vette
Racer

Mine did the same thing after the first time I went to "Competitive mode". Lit the tires up out of the driveway and when I got to the traffic light there it was. :banghead: But after I got to my destination and came back out all was fine with the world. Just one of those things that happens when you have that many computers in a car. Sometimes I swear Microsoft wrote the programming!!! :confused:
Old 07-04-2003, 05:46 PM
88sk
Burning Brakes

Default Re: SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING/SERVICE TRACTION SYSTEM LIGHT ON - HELP!!! (2k4vette)

mine comes on sometimes when I get on the gas ,I have a 2000 also,I hit reset but it keeps comin back,but when I hit reset& shutdown then up it goes away,I wish I knew what causes this :mad
Old 07-04-2003, 06:33 PM
JR_VETTE
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Mid-TN Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default Re: SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING/SERVICE TRACTION SYSTEM LIGHT ON - HELP!!! (88sk)

If you pull the codes, you'll find exactly what's causing it. For me it's a faulty steering sensor.
Old 07-04-2003, 07:03 PM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING/SERVICE TRACTION SYSTEM LIGHT ON - HELP!!! (JR_VETTE)

:iagree:

Pull the codes..they will be prefaced with TCH C XXXX H. ( C for current, H if there is a history of that code) I had 3 codes that took 3 visits to 2 different dealers to finaly get it fixed. However, on one visit they also scratched my car..just can't win.
Old 07-04-2003, 08:23 PM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING/SERVICE TRACTION SYSTEM LIGHT ON - HELP!!! (Dicecal)

Correct above post..the traction control system codes are TCS..C XXXX H
Old 07-04-2003, 11:57 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

I'm guessing that when you pull the codes, you'll get one or both of the following:
C1286 Steering Sensor Bias Malfunction
C1287 Steering Sensor rate malfunction

I'm working through the same problem on my 18,000 mile 2000 HT -- I get the SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING message every time I drive the car (started two days ago). I get both above codes.

So far, the manual suggests replacing the steering input sensor ($150 part; and no fun to install -- its at the bottom end of the steering column -- can't be replaced without pulling the column :( ). The other possibility is the lateral acceleration sensor (much easier -- under the passenger seat).

Anyone gone through this already?

[Modified by Kent1999, 12:35 AM 7/8/2003]
Old 07-05-2003, 12:49 AM
magnetized
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09

I got the same message on the 01. It started out as a flash on the DIC "ACTIVE HANDLING" even though I was doing the limit on a straight road. It would kick off cruise on the interstate, got so bad I couldn't even use cruise w/o shutting AH off :mad Then the SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING message apperared and the dealer said it was a loose sensor (which one I am uncertain) They fixed it and it works fine now. Hope this helps :cheers:

:thumbs: Ride On :chevy
Old 08-21-2011, 10:50 PM
JMAC71
Navigator

Default Service Active handling

Originally Posted by JR_VETTE
If you pull the codes, you'll find exactly what's causing it. For me it's a faulty steering sensor.
Hey JR-Vette,
I have a 2008 C6 convertible...with 6500 miles. Today I had my Service Active handling message come up as well? Plus the lil yellow traction light (car doing skids) won't go out as well. I can reset it and the message goes away however the yellow traction light doesn't. The message stays gone until I push the traction control button again or when I turn the car off and restart it then message shows up again. is this what yours' was doing? Is yours' an 08 as well? What did your dealer charge you to fix....thanks for any help.

JMAC
Old 09-08-2011, 09:33 PM
HTWHLS
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JMAC71
Hey JR-Vette,
I have a 2008 C6 convertible...with 6500 miles. Today I had my Service Active handling message come up as well? Plus the lil yellow traction light (car doing skids) won't go out as well. I can reset it and the message goes away however the yellow traction light doesn't. The message stays gone until I push the traction control button again or when I turn the car off and restart it then message shows up again. is this what yours' was doing? Is yours' an 08 as well? What did your dealer charge you to fix....thanks for any help.

JMAC
Any update on this? I had this pop up occasionally and whenever I shut off the car and restarted it, it was gone. Then two weeks ago, it came on and won't go off. It's all three: Service Active Handle, Service Antilock Brakes, Service Traction Control. Could use some advise before the dealer gets it. Thanks!!
Old 09-08-2011, 10:30 PM
bluedevil99
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k4vette
Sometimes I swear Microsoft wrote the programming!!!
Nah, if Microsoft wrote the programming it would just lock up all your brakes until a service pack was released or you reinstalled your engine.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:32 PM
toddk
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Nothing like dredging up an 8 year old thread from the dead. It should be RIP.

I have a 2008 C6 convertible...with 6500 miles.
C6 tech questions are best asked in the C6 forums?

Any update on this?
You might want to pull your own fault codes as expressed in this 2003 thread, then use the "search" function of this forum. There have been numerous threads on TCS/ABS/AH failures just in the past few weeks. Use the Pxxxx codes you get to find existing discussions & solutions with your exact problem code.

Todd
Old 09-09-2011, 12:10 AM
JMAC71
Navigator

Originally Posted by toddk
Nothing like dredging up an 8 year old thread from the dead. It should be RIP.

C6 tech questions are best asked in the C6 forums?

You might want to pull your own fault codes as expressed in this 2003 thread, then use the "search" function of this forum. There have been numerous threads on TCS/ABS/AH failures just in the past few weeks. Use the Pxxxx codes you get to find existing discussions & solutions with your exact problem code.

Todd
I had mine serviced at the dealer. The code showed that mine had a bad brake module and pump. Dealer replaced both of them @ $1200 price tag. Since car had just ran out of warranty and only had 6000 miles on it dealer split the difference with me and I had to pay $600. So far the problem has been solved and no more issues. HOpe this helps you as well.
JMAC

Get notified of new replies

To SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING/SERVICE TRACTION SYSTEM LIGHT ON - HELP!!!

Old 09-09-2011, 12:13 AM
JMAC71
Navigator

Originally Posted by HTWHLS
Any update on this? I had this pop up occasionally and whenever I shut off the car and restarted it, it was gone. Then two weeks ago, it came on and won't go off. It's all three: Service Active Handle, Service Antilock Brakes, Service Traction Control. Could use some advise before the dealer gets it. Thanks!!
Carried mine to dealer for service. Code showed it had a bad brake module and pump?? $1200 repair but since car had just ran out of warranty and had only 6000 miles on it, the dealer split the difference with me so I had to pay $600. So far the problem is solved and had no more issues. Hope this helps you as well.

JMAC
Old 09-09-2011, 08:10 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by HTWHLS
As stated in 03 and yesterday use the C5's DIC to check the codes. The ones you are interested in start in C. Hopefully, you don't have the C1214 code. If you do there are several things that can cause it. 1. a poor ground at G101 driver's side front frame rail; 2. poor connection to that ground point; 3. a short from the BPMV motor windings to its case (have to remove BPMV from car to check this as motor circuit is grounded to G101 and you can get a false reading since case is also grounded to the frame); 4. poor voltage connection from the EBCM to the electrical center (there are two of them, one powers the EBCM and the other powers the BPMV) 5. bad relay in the EBCM which is used to switch on the motor in the BPMV.

Relay can be repaired by places such as ABSFixer, rest of EBCM is non repairable as is the BPMV. If the BPMV motor circuit is shorted to the case then the EBCM should be replaced as well or the relay inside the EBCM should be replaced. This can get expensive.

Bill
Old 09-09-2011, 08:41 PM
siberian.mist
Advanced

i was getting this a couple times a week. cleaning the grounds on all the engine bay electrical connections and cleaning any corrosion inside the connectors made it never happen again. not saying this is the case for everyone but it seemed to solve it for me.

Quick Reply: SERVICE ACTIVE HANDLING/SERVICE TRACTION SYSTEM LIGHT ON - HELP!!!