C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing a leaking seal plate (rear axle pinion seal)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 04:37 PM
Flatbroke
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing a leaking seal plate (rear axle pinion seal)

How long does it take a Chevy dealer to replace a C5 leaking seal plate (rear axle pinion seal)? My service rep said they could do it in one day. I really don’t see how they can drop the rear axle, lower the tranny, disconnect the exhaust, etc and have it all back together in 8 hours.

Flat Broke in Flat Rock :) :)
Old 07-21-2003, 06:04 PM
1 BAD C5
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Replacing a leaking seal plate (Flatbroke)

Are you referring to the drivers side differential seal? If so mine was done a couple of weeks ago and took them about 2.5 hours. They didn't have to pull the transmission.
Old 07-21-2003, 06:49 PM
Flatbroke
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Replacing a leaking seal plate (1 BAD C5)

Are you referring to the drivers side differential seal? They didn't have to pull the transmission.
I wish it was only one of the side axle seals/0-rings. The seal plate or pinion seal is between the tranny and differential, which requires major surgery to get to, not something I enjoy having to have done to a 2-month old car.

The car is beautiful, engine performance is exceptional, shifting is precise, handling is superb, but as for it’s reliability so far, I would have to put it somewhere above my 1961 Chevy pick-up, but well below my 1976 Triumph Spitfire.

Thanks,
Flat Broke in Flat Rock, Al :) :)
Old 07-21-2003, 07:00 PM
1SGRET
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Actually, an experienced shop can do it in about 6 hours. When I changed my 2.73 rear end for a 3.42 rear end and also dropped the tranny to change torque converters to a Yank SY3500 it took me about ten working hours and I did it by myself and I am not a mester mechanic. Good Luck!
Old 07-21-2003, 07:53 PM
VETFVER
Burning Brakes

My question is can the fix be permanent? Perhaps the better question is how long before it fails again? Does anyone know how many miles these fixes will last?

This would be the greatest car on earth if it just didn't leak oil. Can you name one car that was really a dog that didn't leak oil?

:smash:
Old 07-21-2003, 08:05 PM
jsingh
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Replacing a leaking seal plate (VETFVER)

mines leaking too,going to dealer tommorow
Old 07-31-2014, 07:48 PM
jpkoller
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by 1SGRET
Actually, an experienced shop can do it in about 6 hours. When I changed my 2.73 rear end for a 3.42 rear end and also dropped the tranny to change torque converters to a Yank SY3500 it took me about ten working hours and I did it by myself and I am not a mester mechanic. Good Luck!
Did the seal plate frome the 273 go right in the 342s? I'm about to do the swap and see the 342s do not have the seal plate on the diff I got. Hoping I can use one on the existing diff

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing a leaking seal plate (rear axle pinion seal)

Quick Reply: Replacing a leaking seal plate (rear axle pinion seal)