C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gutting cats (for track use) is it worth it, pros and cons??

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 11:07 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Gutting cats (for track use) is it worth it, pros and cons??

I'm thinking of gutting my cats, besides messing up emmisions is there any other negative reasons not to do this.

What (if any) gains could I expect to see on an otherwise stock '99 set-up? Thanks.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:10 AM
OliverM5
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Gutting cats (for track use) is it worth it, pros and cons?? (Miaugi)

Upside: 5-10 rwhp/rwtq :yesnod:

Downside: Smells like shiat, headaches, clothes smell like gas after driving.

I took them off and ended up putting them back on from the nasty smell....not wot\rth it on a daily driver IMO.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:18 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Re: Gutting cats (for track use) is it worth it, pros and cons?? (Miaugi)

Don't gut them, cut them off and make a system like FLP to switch between a pipe and the cats.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:08 PM
2001 Red Coupe Bandit
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Gutting cats (CPT Z06)

Cut em don't gut em. Cut them in a way that allows you to weld them back on if ou ever wanted. That was you can always go back to the cats if you want and all it takes is getting someone to weld them back, which isn't fun, but is pretty easily done.

:D
Old 07-22-2003, 12:14 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: Gutting cats (OliverM5)

Upside: 5-10 rwhp/rwtq :yesnod:

Downside: Smells like shiat, headaches, clothes smell like gas after driving.

I took them off and ended up putting them back on from the nasty smell....not wot\rth it on a daily driver IMO.
Amen!!
I am putting mine back on becasue of the smell... It's a weird smell too.. It sticks to your clothes.. Just one walk behind the car and then I smell like that for hours.. I hate it...
Old 07-22-2003, 01:06 PM
2001 Red Coupe Bandit
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Gutting cats (chuckster)

Chuckster, is your cr tuned??? Mine smells some, but not too bad. only is I stand still or start it in the garage.

My folks live by Jensen beach,,Hutchenson Island :cheers:

The Bandit................ :D
Old 07-22-2003, 02:05 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Default Re: Gutting cats (2001 Red Coupe Bandit)

Chuckster, is your cr tuned??? Mine smells some, but not too bad. only is I stand still or start it in the garage.

My folks live by Jensen beach,,Hutchenson Island :cheers:

The Bandit................ :D
Yep my car is tuned...I just hate that smell that lingers in your clothes..

Hutchinson Island is right next to me.. If you get out here look me up.. ;)
We can get a beer or 2 ..
Old 07-22-2003, 03:01 PM
aaaa
Instructor

Look out-here come the tree huggers! :rolleyes:
The following users liked this post:
Bmoore23 (04-23-2021)
Old 07-22-2003, 04:33 PM
CLpower
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Gutting cats (aaaa)

just get test pipes made to replace the cats that way you can always put them back on.
Old 07-22-2003, 04:55 PM
ls1c5guy
Intermediate

i have the cat eliminator from bassani and i never really had a smell problem unless i was parked with the hatch open. i dont see how this kit would make a difference from just cutting them off, but y car never smelt bad. my car has california emissions so maybe it runs cleaner then out of state cars. who knows
Old 07-22-2003, 05:36 PM
Special K
Safety Car

Default Re: Gutting cats (aaaa)

Yep, you're right. To he-l with the environment. Let's squeeze that extra 2 HP and don't worry about anyone else. While you're at it, go ahead and throw that trash out the window as you're driving down the highway. Who cares?

Bob
:flag
Old 07-22-2003, 05:53 PM
BLU-BY-U
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: Gutting cats (Korreck)

just having cats doesn't guaranty a smog legal vehicle.

I seriously doubt my 591/112 cam would pass here in non-tree hugger, Pas-a-get-down-dena refinery land TEXAS, and thats with 3" carsound cats in the midpipe. :lol:
Old 07-22-2003, 06:21 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Yep, you're right. To he-l with the environment. Let's squeeze that extra 2 HP and don't worry about anyone else. While you're at it, go ahead and throw that trash out the window as you're driving down the highway. Who cares?

Bob
I am all for saving the environment.. but what we do makes so little difference... It's hardly worth anything except to "Feel good" :grouphug:

Here is my take..

Consider the 1000's of Airliners in the air every day...

OK let's start here

Boeing 747 - Fuel Capacity 57,285 gallons
Corvette C5 - Fuel Capacity 19.1

Assuming my catless polluter generates the same amount of crap per gallon as a 747(which is a stretch to say the least)

At 25mpg I'd have to drive my car 1,432,022.5 miles to dump the same amount of crap into the air as one 747 in ONE Flight...

57,285 / 19.1 = 2999 tanks of gas
19.1 * 25mpg = 477.5 miles per tank

2999 (Tanks) *477.5 (Miles per Tank) = 1,432,022.5 miles

So it would seem to me that just the taxi down the runway, the plane would pollute more than my car would in a lifetime....

Now add in, Every heavy construction equipmnent, every ship on the seas, every NASCAR, IRL, heck and race that uses a motor...

You can clearly see we don't show up as a blip on the radar screen.. Depressing but true...
Old 07-22-2003, 06:30 PM
vstella
Le Mans Master

I pulled all 4 cats over 2 years ago and never looked back. The result was a more responsive throttle ,I gained 7 RWHP and the sound is nasty..:yesnod:

If you really feel guilty then go with the Random cats and the 2 3/4 x-pipe and mid section hook up to the exhausts.. But by all means get rid of the stock cats..just dead weight IMO!! ..Just my .02:D
Old 07-22-2003, 06:45 PM
larrysb
Race Director

If you just have to do it - remove the system and install an off-road X-pipe. Not that expensive, off-the-shelf item from several suppliers, better than gutting cats flow-wise. Also order a set of rear O2 sims to go with your off-road pipe. Schedule a dyno tune, or just might *lose* power. Better yet, go whole hog and do a full long-tube header and no-muffler exhaust system for your race car.

Also it preserves the cats for when you come to your senses and decide to re-install them.

If you drive on the street, then just leave them alone. It's really the same as tossing your trash out the window. Without cats, you pollute as much as 30-100 cars with cats. No, I'm not kidding. Yes, I checked the facts against grams/mile output of HC, it really is 20-100x. You can attack the performance from other angles and still keep the smog output in check.

I'm also a gun-toting, native-born Texan, voted for Reagan and both Bushes and I eat red meat all the time. Please no tree-hugger aspersions.

Old 07-24-2003, 06:17 PM
aaaaa
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Gutting cats (chuckster)

:iagree: :iagree: Thank you chuckster! Some people feel so guilty they aren't happy unless they make others feel guilty I guess.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:14 PM
03QuicksilverZ06
Burning Brakes

Bob
Dude, You are Driving a Corvette , not one of the most eco. correct rides on this planet... and your complaining about cutting off some factory cats .. get a grip :troll

Name any cause that you can think of , and they will come in flocks :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :rant:

[Modified by 03QuicksilverZ06, 6:15 PM 7/24/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Gutting cats (for track use) is it worth it, pros and cons??

Old 07-24-2003, 08:00 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks to all that replied. I guess that gutting them doesn't make sense so I'll look into removing them in a way that they can be put back if needed, although it seems the performance gains are negligible. :auto:
Old 07-24-2003, 08:11 PM
boxerlover79
Instructor

Default Re: Gutting cats (Miaugi)

Now what happens to the Oxygen sensors? I saw an add for dumby oxygen sensors to put in place after you vut the cats. Do you really need these?

thanks
Old 07-24-2003, 08:14 PM
vstella
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Gutting cats (boxerlover79)

Now what happens to the Oxygen sensors? I saw an add for dumby oxygen sensors to put in place after you vut the cats. Do you really need these? thanks
You will need O2 simulators. Several of the CF vendors sell them.. :yesnod:

Quick Reply: Gutting cats (for track use) is it worth it, pros and cons??