C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No fuel pressure, car won't run

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 12:05 PM
sffish
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No fuel pressure, car won't run

Okay this is continued from the following thread: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=609116

To summarize my car will crank, but won't run. I put a fuel pressure guage on the fuel rail last night and was seeing 12 psi with the key in and engine not running. So I think there is something wrong with my fuel system that's causing the car not to run. I will change the fuel filter tonight (I was going to do it anyways as preventive maintenance, just hadn't gotten to it). It's my understanding that the other things that can go wrong in the fuel system are the fuel pump (hopefully not) and the fuel pressure regulator. Any tips on checking these parts? Also if it is the fuel pump I'm going to have to drop the fuel tank to get to it aren't I? Is there a write up of how to do this? I will let you guys know more as this continues.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:12 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

Default Re: No fuel pressure, car won't run (sffish)

If you have a 99 or newer, the regulator is built into the filter.

vetterdstr :cheers:
Old 07-23-2003, 11:06 AM
sffish
Advanced

Default Re: No fuel pressure, car won't run (vetterdstr)

Just changed the fuel filter. I saw 60 psi at the fuel rail and she started and ran. I shut her off, lowered the front end then tried to start her again. Once again the same problem, the car would crank but not run. I checked the fuel pressure and it was at 12 psi again. So I think there's something blocking the fuel flow. I'm assuming that it would be downstream from the fuel filter, from the fuel filter back to the tank (assuming the the fuel filter will catch any large particles). So maybe the fuel pick up around the fuel pump is getting clogged.
How do I remove the in tank fuel pump? I have to drop the fuel tank right? How do the drain the fuel that's currently in the tank (it's about 3/4 full)? Help!

Old 07-23-2003, 12:32 PM
Sack Rat TT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE] How do I remove the in tank fuel pump? I have to drop the fuel tank right? How do the drain the fuel that's currently in the tank (it's about 3/4 full)? Help!

sffish- You do NOT have to drop the tank. Remove the left rear tire, inner liner, and metal cover plate. You now have access to the screws to remove pump etc. To drain your tank use your existing pump and add a hose near your fuel rail in the eng. compartment or near the fuel filter and hopefully your pump will drain your tank for you. Good luck

:smash: :smash:
Old 07-23-2003, 06:08 PM
luvinc5
Melting Slicks

Default Re: No fuel pressure, car won't run (Sack Rat TT)

You may want to check the ground wire connection between your fuel rail and the back of the head on the motor (driver's side). I would guess you have a bad connection.

I had a similar situation and it turned out to be a broken ground wire connecting the fuel rail to the motor. Best of luck.
Old 07-23-2003, 06:45 PM
sffish
Advanced

Default Re: No fuel pressure, car won't run (luvinc5)

Where is the ground wire for the fuel rail located exactly? Can I get to it from underneath the car or from the top of the car? Thanks.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:25 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I would bet you have an electrical problem and not a blockage.

BC
Old 07-24-2003, 12:31 PM
luvinc5
Melting Slicks

Where is the ground wire for the fuel rail located exactly? Can I get to it from underneath the car or from the top of the car? Thanks.
I would imagine its towards the firewall. Grab a good light and you feel it from the topside of the motor. Use a small mirror to see it.
Old 08-05-2003, 05:28 PM
Rookiedyn
Pro

Default Re: No fuel pressure, car won't run

sffish did you ever get this sorted out? I'm still trying to find my somewhat similar gremlin. Let me know if you can.. thanks
Old 08-05-2003, 05:35 PM
sffish
Advanced

Default Re: No fuel pressure, car won't run (Rookiedyn)

The car still isn't running, mainly because I have to wait for parts. I changed the fuel pump and still the car won't start. So I think it's the fuel pressure regulator. I have a '98 so it's in the engine bay. I removed the regulator and when I turn the key in the ignition I get fuel coming out where the fuel pressure regulator is so I think the pump is working. I've been waiting since friday for the new fuel pressure regulator. I'll let you guys know when I finally get the part. It's pissing me off that no one has these things locally.
Old 08-05-2003, 05:52 PM
sffish
Advanced

Rookiedyn, I think your problem is a fuel pressure regulator as well (assuming I'm right and that's my problem, we'll only know when I get the part). In any case, 2 days before my car died I was cruising on the highway and I would get a slight hesitation for a few seconds. This happened maybe 3-6 times on a 20 mile highway cruise. The next day when it died, it started hesitating about 3-4 times on the highway and then when I got into Washington DC she just up and died.

Get notified of new replies

To No fuel pressure, car won't run

Quick Reply: No fuel pressure, car won't run