C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to C5s, what are these mods and what does it mean for performance?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 12:07 PM
SouthernC3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[Modified by SouthernC3, 6:37 PM 8/10/2003]
Old 07-27-2003, 12:12 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: New to C5s, what are these mods and what does it mean for performance? (SouthernC3)

$27K is much too much for a 98 Vette with 25,000 miles. I just payed slightly more for a 2000 Vette with 8500 miles. I would keep looking.

Mark
Old 07-27-2003, 12:20 PM
ICULUKN-C5
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: New to C5s, what are these mods and what does it mean for performance? (SouthernC3)

Breathless ram air
This is a cold air intake. Retail is about $250.00. Good for about 15 RWHP
Cross over tube
This is the throttle body coolant bypass. Will not gain any HP, but still a good mod to do.
Relocated mass air temp sensor
Moving the sensor closer to the throttle body allows the computer to read colder air. This is a good mod to have on a 98. 2-5 RWHP
B&B exhaust
IMO all C5's sound a little weak from the factory. A cat back exhaust will make it sound more throaty. This is good for about 8 RWHP
Hoskis links to sway bars
This is suspension. Retail is around 200.00 for this mod.

Car assisted in design by Jake Drennon
Car appraised by Bob Kroupa of Corvette Fever Magazine for $29,500, asking price $27,000....Is this a fair price for a 98 (25,000 miles and car is flawless!)

Thanks gents! :cheers:
I think 27k is a little much for a 98 coupe. I would ask if he has the extended warranty. There are many undocumented enhancements (bugs) with the c5 that we seem to think is okay.

1. oil consumption. Many of us consume a qt. or more between changes. GM calls this normal.
2. Rocking driver seat. Since the seat in a C5 slides back on a daily basis to let the driver out, the track gets warn. Check the seat to see if it rocks.
3. Leaking rear diff. This also has been the topic of recent discussion. Do a seach for some threads.
4. Column lock. Ask is he has issue with the column lock, and if he installed the column lock bypass.

Good luck....
Old 07-28-2003, 12:14 AM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

Default Re: New to C5s, what are these mods and what does it mean for performance? (ICULUKN-C5)

A good response above...though I thought that maybe the cross-over tube might refer to a x-pipe in the exhaust. The throttle body bypass, in my opinion, is just a bunch of hype. I have one and didn't even put it in after realizing that if the car is moving say round 800 cfm of air through the throttle body, how can the throttle body possibly have an effect on any air moving that fast. Like many mods, they are hyped to death with little real benefit. If you took the advertised horsepower values of all the bolt-on mods available, you'd probably have a 3000 horsepower car. Overall, the exhaust and intake are probably the only real benefit of the mods on the car and shouldn't increase the price much over one without them.
Old 07-28-2003, 01:09 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

what are these mods and what does it mean for performance?
-----------------

Any mods to the transmission?

The stock automatics have decreased torque relative to the manual transmission cars. The PCMs limit power to avoid problems with the automatic. Seems to me that when adding more HP to an A4 car, you should also beef up the transmission, before you start breaking $$$ things.

On the other hand, if you are not going to "use" the additional HP, why pay for the mods?
Old 07-30-2003, 02:14 AM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Here are pictures of my C3 that is For Sale!
http://www.photohost.org/gallery/sho...r=1562&cat=500
Man, that is one very sweet machine. :yesnod: :yesnod: :cool:

350/270 = 1971??? Doesn't say the year? What are you asking for it??

[Modified by binksZ06, 2:16 AM 7/30/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To New to C5s, what are these mods and what does it mean for performance?

Quick Reply: New to C5s, what are these mods and what does it mean for performance?