C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No cats = big smell?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 06:06 PM
dahoof
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: No cats = big smell? (03QuicksilverZ06)

Damn!!! This thread got crazy!!! :eek:

By the way I am not running cats!!! :leaving:

:lol:
Old 08-07-2003, 06:53 PM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 280 Likes on 213 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: No cats = big smell? (03QuicksilverZ06)

Save a tree, praise the lord , hug a hippie .............blah, blah , blah

Http://forums.corvetteforum.com <<<<<<<corvette topics :smash:

http://www.hipforums.com/forumdisplay.php3?FID=48 <<<tree huggers :lolg:

:leaving:
:eek: :eek: :lolg: :lolg:
Old 08-07-2003, 07:29 PM
aaaa
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: No cats = big smell? (C5-VERT)

Is that site for real? How can people be so screwed up?
OMG the alps are melting! :crazy:
Old 08-07-2003, 07:43 PM
larrysb
Race Director

Default Re: No cats = big smell? (msuc5vette)

I looked up your sig:

1999 White Coupe MN6 OEM Y2K High Polish
Self Installed
TPIS Headers, Straight/H Pipes, Electonic Cut-outs, LGM G5X2 Cam, LS6 Intake, Black Wing
389 RWHP Cutouts Closed, 398 RWHP Cutouts Open, both on Mustang Dyn

You got headers, straight pipes, cutouts and a cam.

Do you have the cam card? What kind of LSA or overlap is specified? I looked up the LGM website and there are no specifics there.

It just might not be the best choice of cam for your particular application.

I don't know about drilling a hole in the throttle plate. Seems a bit hackish to me. Maybe your tuner has done it before and knows it will work or something.

You might find that a cam more suited to your setup will cure the issue with smell and idle surging, let you get your PCM parameters back in line and maybe install a hi-flow catalyst for normal street duty.

It's 2003 y'all. This hot-rod stuff is fun, but we have a responsibility to do our part as best we can to keep the smog down too.

larrysb

Thanks for answering my question, I was a little confused by the suggestion to drill the hole, figuring the computer should compensate by opening the throttle a little. He did say that he had to raise one of the parameters to the limit, I wish I could remember what that was, but he said since he had it raised to the highest value I would probably still benefit from drilling the hole since the PCM may not be able to compensate.

I have a feeling that the hole would help somewhat, I think at idle, or below 1,500 the PCM is fluctuating between closed and partially open throttle automatically because closed the engine doesn't get enough air anymore, but partially open it gets too much.

It does surge slightly when I'm in a taller gear below 1,500 RPM off throttle.

I didn't list all mods to the car because they are in my profile.

Any other thoughts on drilling the hole?

I'd appreciate it if thoughs who want to debate environmental issues start another thread, this has gotten way off my topic.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:57 PM
hogurt
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: No cats = big smell? (Y2Kvert4me)

One car may not make a difference, same as throwing out one gum wrapper. Now everybody throw out a gum wrapper and you'll SEE the difference. It all adds up.

Bob
:flag
I enjoyed chuckster's comparison, but to throw out an even better one:

If I sell my C5 and get a '69 big block instead...everyone, even the tree huggers, will congratulate me on my new classic car purchase and wave to me as I pass them on the road while I'm getting 10mpg.

If I drive the '69 as much as I do my '01 (w/o cats), which will be the bigger polluter?

I would really hope you people also go into the other forums and tell all the pre '74 Vette owners to junk their cars and quit polluting our enviroment.

:cheers:
:lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :cheers: :cheers: :thumbs:

Tree huggin', Ozone savin' . . . :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :auto: :auto: :auto:

Old 08-07-2003, 11:06 PM
msuc5vette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: No cats = big smell? (larrysb)

There is no doubt in my mind that I got the right cam for my application, it is awesome. I am just wondering if there is any merrit to what the tuner suggested and if it will help.

I guess even if no one is sure if it will help the smell or the low RPM, off throttle blips, does anyone know if it will hurt?
Old 08-07-2003, 11:59 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

The hole in the throttle plate allows the correct amount of "bypass" which then allows the PCM to do its job within the original parameters that it was designed for. On an Fbody, you can just open the plate up a little, and that solves it, but on a C5 the Fly by wire and the "idle air" has limitations that are exceeded with modifications.

The Tuner should also be able to do more for you with regard to the mixture at the low end, part throtle, and at idle. This will cure most of the smell.

I should not get into the PC debate, but I love a good debate.

When I started in this business, there were asbestos brake pads, and cars that belched. Most of those who have had health problems from the asbestos issue were the CEOs of companies like Federal Mogal, Corning, and Bendix Corp who had TOO MUCH STRESS from the frivilous law suits. Federal Mogal bought Ferodo brakes, and a small company that used small amounts of asbestos in their products.
FMO had to file for bankruptcy, and is closing or selling most of their assets. The stock has fallen to pennies. The amount of human suffering that has come from lawsuits is enormus as well as Non Productive.

Life Causes Death! And this is no dress rehersal. We all have to understand that, and live till the end of our time, and accept it. I don't know of anything that we do or eat that reverses our march toward death.

LG :flag

[Modified by LG Motorsports, 11:33 PM 8/7/2003]
Old 08-08-2003, 01:25 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: No cats = big smell? (LG Motorsports)

When I started in this business, there were asbestos brake pads, and cars that belched. Most of those who have had health problems from the asbestos issue were the CEOs of companies like Federal Mogal, Corning, and Bendix Corp who had TOO MUCH STRESS from the frivilous law suits. Federal Mogal bought Ferodo brakes, and a small company that used small amounts of asbestos in their products.
FMO had to file for bankruptcy, and is closing or selling most of their assets. The stock has fallen to pennies. The amount of human suffering that has come from lawsuits is enormus as well as Non Productive.

Life Causes Death! And this is no dress rehersal. We all have to understand that, and live till the end of our time, and accept it. I don't know of anything that we do or eat that reverses our march toward death.

AND these are FACTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :thumbs:

[Modified by binksZ06, 1:26 PM 8/8/2003]
Old 08-08-2003, 02:36 PM
Special K
Safety Car

Default Re: No cats = big smell? (LG Motorsports)

LG :flag

[Modified by LG Motorsports, 11:33 PM 8/7/2003]
"live to the end of our time". And I might add we have a responsibility to leave this world in as good a condition as we can so that our children and their's will also be able to live to the end of their time.

Bob

[Modified by Korreck, 1:39 PM 8/8/2003]
Old 08-08-2003, 03:29 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: No cats = big smell? (Korreck)

"live to the end of our time". And I might add we have a responsibility to leave this world in as good a condition as we can so that our children and their's will also be able to live to the end of their time.

Bob

[Modified by Korreck, 1:39 PM 8/8/2003]
:grouphug: :nopity :nopity :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ..... :banghead: :banghead: !!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-08-2003, 03:31 PM
extremecorvette
Drifting

Default Re: No cats = big smell? (Korreck)

:iagree: with LG it's all in the set up of your car
Old 08-08-2003, 03:34 PM
aaaa
Instructor

Default Re: No cats = big smell? (binksZ06)

:iagree: :grouphug: I feel all warm and fuzzy
Old 08-09-2003, 01:06 AM
DaveP
Burning Brakes

Hey man whats up??? Good fun beating on the cars and Duggan's the other nite... Drill the hole and see. It can always be plugged with a bit of epoxy if you need to. I'll find out very soon if I need the hole as well :yesnod:

Quick Reply: No cats = big smell?