C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I run cat-less?

Old 08-13-2003, 02:53 AM
0Kaley@DragonRace
Supporting Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I run cat-less?

I am doing my instal right now on my heads/cam/headers. I can't decide if I should run w or w/o cats. How much power will I see? Thanks, Kaley
Old 08-13-2003, 03:23 AM
larrysb
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Should I run cat-less? (2C5only21)

I am doing my instal right now on my heads/cam/headers. I can't decide if I should run w or w/o cats. How much power will I see? Thanks, Kaley
Stick with the cats. No smell, less pollution, no hassles with the law or the smog inspectors. Not that much power in most cases. 10hp give or take, in the case of a car with major uprade, like yours.

If you just want to run catless, then do it right, purchase an off-road pipe set. It works better than gutting the cut with a screwdriver. Then when you change your mind, you can just reinstall the cats.

Before anyone whines about "politics", I'm a gun-toting, native born Texan, voted for Reagan and both Bushes and I had beef for dinner tonight.

I been there, done that a long time ago. In retrospect, it just wasn't worth the minor gains in return for the downsides and the undeniable contribution to the air pollution. Besides, today's cats are very good.
Old 08-13-2003, 04:23 AM
clancy
Instructor

Default Re: Should I run cat-less? (larrysb)

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
Old 08-13-2003, 06:08 AM
Radiant Heat
Instructor

"I'm a gun-toting, native born Texan, voted for Reagan and both Bushes and I had beef for dinner tonight"

LMAO. I think we need that on a T-Shirt...
Old 08-13-2003, 07:27 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

"I'm a gun-toting, native born Texan, voted for Reagan and both Bushes and I had beef for dinner tonight"
:cheers:

2C5only21, I don't think you should run catless as a rule. If you want to run ORP's while racing, that's one thing. But driving around with no cats on a daily basis really makes no sense. That's why some of these header manufacturers have come out with swappable cats/ORP systems and why I got my FLP's. If I ever decide to pull the cats, it won't be a major one-way permanent commitment.

Besides, the gains are only moderate at best. And if it's sound you're looking for, I'm running h/c, headers and Borla Stingers and I'm sure I'd get cited if it were any louder. :yesnod:

:cheers:
Old 08-13-2003, 08:07 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

This is a personal matter much like "should I drive home after a few beers". For an extra 10HP I wouldn't take that approach. But if 10HP means that much to you, it's your choice though I dis-agree with running cat-less.

Tom
USAF Retired
Old 08-13-2003, 08:34 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 294 Likes on 216 Posts

I dyno'd my heads/cam car with open headers and got 425rwhp. We then put on the full exhaust (x-pipe, stock cats, Corsa cat-back) and got 413 rwhp. So I saw a whopping 12 hp gain. With a full exhaust but no cats you wouldn't even see that much gain. IMHO it's not worth it for a street driven car. :seeya
Old 08-13-2003, 08:48 AM
RWhite
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Should I run cat-less? (6Speeder)

I just replaced my stock cats/Bassani x-pipe with a Random Technology cat/x-pipe system. I did not feel any difference over the setup I had w/o cats. In fact, the system I have now is slightly louder at WOT than w/o cats. I only ran the car w/o cats for a few weeks, but I am positive I have lost almost nothing (SOTP feel) over the no cats setup. To me, this means the torque is basically the same. Go with a quality cat system and you will not be disappointed.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:48 PM
kingFranswa
Racer

Sorry, i dont agree. I took off my cats, and sware i lost power, sounded like crap, and the smell. Put them back on and much better now. :nono:
Old 08-13-2003, 08:57 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I burnt my cats up a couple weeks ago. Running LGM Long tubes->ORP ->corsa X-pipe -> Borla Stingers. I like aggresive sounding cars, obviously-see cam, but in suburbia it's too darn loud. I'll be putting cats back on soon. :yesnod: FWIW.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:26 PM
see5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried it and it "stinks".
Old 08-14-2003, 12:48 AM
aaaaa
Burning Brakes

Hey skippy, the only whiner here is you. Sure am tired of your tree huggin. The man asked for advise regarding performance, not politics. Take it somewhere else.
Old 08-14-2003, 01:34 AM
Cary
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Should I run cat-less? (binksZ06)

I burnt my cats up a couple weeks ago. Running LGM Long tubes->ORP ->corsa X-pipe -> Borla Stingers. I like aggresive sounding cars, obviously-see cam, but in suburbia it's too darn loud. I'll be putting cats back on soon. :yesnod: FWIW.
:lolg: I guess at 42 years old I'm going deaf & can no longer detect foul odors. I'm running the Pro LG/Borla LT Header system (w/o Cats) in combo w/Borla Stinger & its not too loud nor stinky for me :lol: However, I do not have performance cam, yet :reddevil
Old 08-14-2003, 01:38 AM
Cary
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Should I run cat-less? (kingFranswa)

Sorry, i dont agree. I took off my cats, and sware i lost power, sounded like crap, and the smell. Put them back on and much better now. :nono:
Please don't swear (sware?) :lol: . Seriously, do you have an Xpipe & did you have an LS1 Edit tuning along w/dyno pulls when you removed the Cats?

Just curious :crazy:

Old 08-14-2003, 04:20 AM
larrysb
Race Director

Default Re: Should I run cat-less? (aaaaa)

Hey skippy, the only whiner here is you. Sure am tired of your tree huggin. The man asked for advise regarding performance, not politics. Take it somewhere else.

What's the matter cowboy? Miss a dose this morning?

[Modified by larrysb, 1:30 AM 8/14/2003]
Old 08-14-2003, 09:13 AM
Special K
Safety Car

What's the matter cowboy? Miss a dose this morning?

[Modified by larrysb, 1:30 AM 8/14/2003][/QUOTE]

Hey Larry,

I didn't see you whining. He probably throws his trash out the window too.

Bob
:flag
Old 08-14-2003, 09:43 AM
wwashing
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Should I run cat-less? (AFVETTE)

This is a personal matter much like "should I drive home after a few beers".
A personal matter? Until the driver involves someone else! :eek:

Get notified of new replies

To Should I run cat-less?

Old 08-14-2003, 02:41 PM
aaaa
Instructor

:lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lurk:
Old 08-14-2003, 03:06 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: Should I run cat-less? (aaaaa)

How did you get whiner and tree huggin out of that post, I must have missed that with the Hooked on Phonics course.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:33 PM
2001 Red Coupe Bandit
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Should I run cat-less? (jimman)

Taking the cats off with proper tuning will pick up hp and a good amount of torque. It isn't for everyone, but I don't see how (performance wise) you could do anything but GAIN more hp/tq with the cats off. There isso much less restriction with the cats off and if you have an 01 liek me, there are 4 of them.

I have the ability to put mine back on if I need to and have an extra center cats section if needed. The smell isn't bad, but when I am at idle with the top off, I do smell it, regular driving I never notice it. Mine is tuned perfectly though on the dyno and about 10 hours of tweaking with a GM Tech 2 tool.

To each his own :cheers:

Oh ya. I live in Texas :D

[Modified by 2001 Red Coupe Bandit, 6:34 PM 8/14/2003]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I run cat-less?