C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Secondary Air Injection system problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 03:02 PM
weidspeed
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Secondary Air Injection system problem

I bought my 6-spd '00 coupe new ... it is box stock with only 7500 miles on it. My check engine light came on. Error code indicated secondary air injection system problem. It's at the Chevy dealer now; they asked if I recently went through a large puddle. The only time this car is wet is when I wash it ... and then I'm using a low-pressure hose. Anyone knowledgeable on what's the problem or cure? This car is out of warranty ... so if it's an easy fix I'll retrieve it before they get going on it. Thanks.
Old 08-16-2003, 03:23 PM
SFVetteman
Drifting

Default Re: Secondary Air Injection system problem (weidspeed)

What was the number of the code? Depending on the code the fix could be quick and easy, easy but not quick, or neither easy or quick.
Old 08-16-2003, 05:31 PM
weidspeed
Intermediate

Default Re: Secondary Air Injection system problem (SFVetteman)

I did not know until this morning that I could get on-board diagnostic codes without an OBDII tool. When an error message didn't show up on my screen and the check engine light stayed on I immediately brought it in to the dealer. Based on what the dealer told me about a "secondary air injection system" problem, my guess would be a DJC P0410 problem. The dealer is closed until Monday ... I'll try to get the code from the service writer. Any idea what my range of problems could be (beyond not checking Corvetteforum prior to surrendering to my dealer)? Thanks.
Old 08-16-2003, 11:17 PM
SFVetteman
Drifting

If you have only P0410 then it’s probably a bad fuse or a bad air pump. If P0412 or P0418 are set also then you have a problem in the AIR solenoid relay circuit (P0412) or the AIR Pump relay circuit (P0418).

If P1415 is set then a bad drivers side check valve is usually the culprit—easy to change. If P1416 is set then a bad passenger side check valve is usually the cause—requires removal of the intake manifold to get to—not especially difficult but it takes a few hours. :cheers:
Old 08-17-2003, 08:46 AM
0vetteshop
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Most common air pump fault is caused by a break in the vacuum line that goes to the air pump control valve.This vaccum line routes under the battery and is commonly destroyed by battery acid....This will cause a P0410 code :yesnod:
Old 08-20-2003, 11:30 PM
weidspeed
Intermediate

Default Re: Secondary Air Injection system problem (C-5 TECH)

That was exactly it ... a shot vacuum line under the battery. Even with ultra low mileage, sufficient battery acid had worked its way to it to do the damage. Thank you for the help!

Most common air pump fault is caused by a break in the vacuum line that goes to the air pump control valve.This vaccum line routes under the battery and is commonly destroyed by battery acid....This will cause a P0410 code :yesnod:
Old 08-21-2003, 11:04 AM
0vetteshop
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

:thumbs: :cheers: C :cool: :cool: L

[Modified by C-5 TECH, 11:05 AM 8/21/2003]
Old 04-27-2012, 01:35 PM
fireman164
4th Gear

Originally Posted by vetteshop
Most common air pump fault is caused by a break in the vacuum line that goes to the air pump control valve.This vaccum line routes under the battery and is commonly destroyed by battery acid....This will cause a P0410 code
Hello, thanks for this post , I have had this code set for about two years now, and ran across your post, remembering I had some battery problems a while back I took the battery out and sure enough acid had eaten the plasic vacuum line in two, I spliced in a section of rubber vacuum line and it worked perfect , no more check engine light ! thanks a ton !
Old 05-25-2012, 01:38 PM
Tulsa Vette Guy
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pulled the battery out including the tray, did not see a vac. line,, any ideas??
Old 05-26-2012, 11:41 AM
fireman164
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Tulsa Vette Guy
I pulled the battery out including the tray, did not see a vac. line,, any ideas??
There is a plastic wire loom under the battery to the front side of the compartment , it's inside that loom with several wires , mine was corroded into pieces , I trimed it back to where the good area was and spliced in a rubber line that worked perfect , cost me .57 cents , no more light or code !

Get notified of new replies

To Secondary Air Injection system problem

Quick Reply: Secondary Air Injection system problem