C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARGH!!! AC Delco AGM Battery Model 75P-7YR Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 01:29 AM
kedvesh
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Default ARGH!!! AC Delco AGM Battery Model 75P-7YR Problems

I would have posted this as a reply to the many other past posts on this item, but all are currently listed as archived and/or as "read only".

My MY02 coupe is now 2 years old (Born Aug 01; delivered Oct 01) and has just turned 36K miles on the odo. It "HAD" the AC Delco AGM 75P-7YR Battery in it until a few hours ago.

Hey it was fine (or seemed to be) until I got into my machine to go out after coming home from work: no lights, no nuthin'! (The 'Vette is a daily driver and my only car.) A fellow car club member came over and we went over a few items before pulling it and going to a local auto parts store for testing.

The battery was bulging at the sides, but fortunately was not leaking (as has happened to other people I've read and heard about.) The Advance Auto Parts store tech hooked the thing up to their testing machine and found only 22 of the spec. 500 CCA left. WTH! It really was dead as a doornail.

I have no idea how it got this way. Although over the last three months I had three instances of a "charge system fault" come up on my driver info readout. Anyone have any idea if my dead battery might cause this or is there some other reason? FYI, I took my 'Vette to my local dealer twice over the same period and had them look into a reason for the fault, but they said they couldn't find one. (Nice timing...my warranty expired last week! :cry )

The friend from my 'Vette club also recently replaced his stock battery, but with an AC Delco 78P-7YR Professional Platinum model. He looked into Optimas, but said he found that there are various issues about using this brand in a C5, not the very least of which is that manufacturer didn't have a battery recommendation for the C5 (space constraints? two post design? I know no nuthin' about this.) Seems like a lot of Forum members have Optima Red Tops. Any opinions out there on Optima vs. the new AC Delco?

My friend also mentioned that a GM Service Bulletin is out on the 75P and talks about battery leakage, etc. I've haven't found a copy of the bulletin on various Forum postings. Anyone have a copy you can e-mail?

I appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks! :thumbs:

Regards,
Chris
Kathleen, GA
Old 10-22-2003, 06:53 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,299 Likes on 13,972 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Default Re: ARGH!!! AC Delco AGM Battery Model 75P-7YR Problems (kedvesh)

I've got an Optima Red Top in mine and there are no problems. Fits just fine. Contact Shawn at LAPD and he can fix you up.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:29 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

FYI, I took my 'Vette to my local dealer twice over the same period and had them look into a reason for the fault, but they said they couldn't find one. (Nice timing...my warranty expired last week! :cry )
If you have any documentation on paper (or even in the dealers computer) that list the charging system fault as a complaint/symptom, and it's dated PRIOR to your warranty expiring, them your dealer SHOULD have to replace the battery under warranty.

There are many threads on this forum and others that say how someone was getting the 'charging system fault' message off and on right before their battery crapped out. If your dealer can't figure that out, find a new dealer. If they give you a hard time just accuse them of knowing what the problem was, but intentionally not fixing it because they knew that your warranty was about to expire. Good luck.
:cheers:
Old 10-22-2003, 08:30 AM
Ron Cleaver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an almost identical experience last Friday. After work, I couldn't start the car. I got a jump start and drove home. When I tried to take out the battery, the positive terminal just detached from the battery.

I posted a message about using the Delco Platinum AGM battery. One guy said he used it and it failed after 7 months. I went to the Optima Web site and found a battery recommendation:
http://www.optimabatteries.com/usingOptima/auto.asp

I selected this one with 800 CCA - part number DT34/78. It fits in my 2000 C5 battery tray with no problem.

But the battery hold down doesn't work. I found this on the same web site:
http://www.optimabatteries.com/usingOptima/height.asp

OPTIMA® GROUP 34/78
The optional puck adapter is required for most GM installations where the side terminals are used.Position the puck against the center cylindar of the battery and bolt to the battery tray as shown.

I couldn't find the puck locally so I sent a message. They asked for my name and address so they could mail me the "puck."

That's good customer service to me.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:28 AM
kedvesh
Burning Brakes

Thanks to all who've chimed in thus far on this topic.

Just finished talking with my dealer's service dept. and they've given me the cold shoulder. (I didn't buy my car from them...only moved into the area last summer.) Even though I have service invoices (not charged for the visits) that mention the previous "charge system fault" D.I.C. readouts I had and the dealer not being able to duplicate the problem or find a reason for them popping up, they will not retroactively replace my defunct battery under warranty. I've only used them because they're 5 minutes from the AF base I'm assigned to and they have a pass to drive on the base, which is great for people needing trans. to and from work during service appts. I don't think I'll EVER use them again, unless it's a real emergency. I'll use the one up the road about 15 miles (40 minutes w/ lights, traffic, etc.) even though they can't get on base (only to the gate).

As for Optima Batteries, I linked-up to the Optima site as provided above by Ron Cleaver. Optima has replacement 750/800/720 CCA Red-top batteries for 1997-2000 MY 'Vettes, but does not have any models listed/geared for the 2001 and up MYs (and I have a MY 2002).

Looks like an AC Delco 78P-7YR Professional Platinum (@ a whopping $101.00) is in my 'Vette's future.

Later!

[Modified by kedvesh, 10:36 AM 10/22/2003]
Old 10-22-2003, 10:50 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Default Re: ARGH!!! AC Delco AGM Battery Model 75P-7YR Problems (Ron Cleaver)

Just for insurance, I installed an Optima red top in my 2001 coupe two weeks ago. I was reading some of the discussions about installations, and the "puck" was mentioned.

I e-mailed Optima about the puck, and they replied that I didn't need it. After installing the battery, it sure looks like I should have it. Some customer assistance.....
Old 10-22-2003, 10:53 AM
Ron Cleaver
Instructor

As for Optima Batteries, I linked-up to the Optima site as provided above by Ron Cleaver. Optima has replacement 750/800/720 CCA Red-top batteries for 1997-2000 MY 'Vettes, but does not have any models listed/geared for the 2001 and up MYs (and I have a MY 2002).
I think you could use the 34/78 battery (800 CCA) as long as it fits in the tray and you get the Optima hold-down, since it's slightly smaller than the stock battery. But if you want to post you battery dimensions (all 3), I'll compare them to mine.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:14 AM
kedvesh
Burning Brakes

Default Re: ARGH!!! AC Delco AGM Battery Model 75P-7YR Problems (Ron Cleaver)

Thanks Ron! I'll take it into consideration. The CF always tends to be a good place to find valuable feedback and arguements about all things Corvette. :thumbs:
Old 10-22-2003, 12:21 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

The Delco AGM battery was bulged-out because it was being overcharged. That why you got the "Charge System Fault" messages. Whatever new battery you install will suffer the same fate if you don't fix the overcharge problem.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:24 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,215 Likes on 3,458 Posts

How does a three year warantee run out after 2 years? :confused: I thought, apart from the tire, everything else was three years, "bumper to bumper," especially since you are on-record having tried to fix a possibly/probably related problem.

Old 10-22-2003, 08:23 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Default Re: ARGH!!! AC Delco AGM Battery Model 75P-7YR Problems (Avanti)

How does a three year warantee run out after 2 years? :confused: I thought, apart from the tire, everything else was three years, "bumper to bumper," especially since you are on-record having tried to fix a possibly/probably related problem.
3/36, whichever comes FIRST. He just hit 36K miles.
:cheers:
Old 10-22-2003, 09:03 PM
RSVETTE
Pro

I have never heard of a gel battery leaking.
I replaced the standard in my 99 with a agm,
seams to work fine. Is there any one out there
who has had a agm leak?

:confused:
Old 10-22-2003, 09:17 PM
TIKTGTR
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kedvesh, I feel your pain! My car hasn't been firing up like it should so i suspected a bad battery :rolleyes: Car is totaly dead in the garage so I start to remove my battery and the positive post detatches itself from the side!WTH? I remove the battery and tray and there is battery acid ash all over the PCM :eek: I am flipping out here!! So needless to say the whole area is covered in baking soda now. Hope there isn't any damage other than cosmetic. Going with the red top battery tomorrow!!
Old 10-22-2003, 09:27 PM
Old Timer
Pro

I just purchased my red top Optima from Auto Zone about three weeks ago & they had a stack of pucks right next to the batteries. If you don't see them it might pay to ask. My guess is that if one store has them, they most likely all do. (or did)
Old 10-22-2003, 09:59 PM
SFVetteman
Drifting

Default Re: ARGH!!! AC Delco AGM Battery Model 75P-7YR Problems (ersatz928)

The Delco AGM battery was bulged-out because it was being overcharged. That why you got the "Charge System Fault" messages. Whatever new battery you install will suffer the same fate if you don't fix the overcharge problem.
:iagree:
Old 10-22-2003, 10:09 PM
Shortimer
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Oh boy, I think I'm joining the ranks of Delco crap batteries. Just got my 2001 last week and already ran into a dead battery. No idea why it went dead. A fast (15 amp) charge for 20 minutes got the car going. I've since let it charge (2 amp) overnight. I get a voltage reading of 11.6 volts when I check the volts before starting. I still have at least nine months of warranty on the car. I suppose GM will pro-rate the battery and charge me something. Not sure I want another Delco Glass Mat battery. :-(
Old 10-22-2003, 10:34 PM
1964VETTE
Intermediate

It's my understanding that GM will not be offering the AGM once existing supplies are depleted. The reason I was given was "reliability". The 04's will have traditional flooded batteries with top posts.

The AGM is an "Absorbed Glass Mat" battery where the electrolyte is contained in the mat that is sandwiched between the plates. There is no possibility of electrolyte leakage even if you knock a hole in the case. It also is not a "Gel" battery where the case would be full of a thick gelatinous electrolyte.

I also have a 2002 with the AGM 75P-7YR. When it needs to be replaced, if what Ive heard is true, I will change out my cables to the top post style and use the Delco flooded style battery.

Goodluck,

LEC

Get notified of new replies

To ARGH!!! AC Delco AGM Battery Model 75P-7YR Problems

Old 10-22-2003, 10:41 PM
Shortimer
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: ARGH!!! AC Delco AGM Battery Model 75P-7YR Problems (1964VETTE)

Thanks, I feel a little better knowing leakage is not a problem with the Glass Mat batteries. I'm gonna keep an eye on it in any case. :)
Old 10-22-2003, 10:43 PM
Steve02C5
Safety Car

I was in the same boat with my Vette (age) recently and made the decision to buy an Optima Red Top as a replacement from AutoZone for $109 -- before the Delco started leaking.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:27 PM
kedvesh
Burning Brakes

Default Re: ARGH!!! AC Delco AGM Battery Model 75P-7YR Problems (Avanti)

I purchased the car in Oct 01, so technically, I had until Oct 04. HOWEVER, since my 'Vette is a daily driver, I've already exceeded the "other" side of that warranty statement, the 36,000 miles. The local dealer (not the one I purchased from) was the one I used to diagnose my three prior, intermitent "charge system fault" readouts from this past summer. (They only appeared/lasted about 5 seconds each and then everything rtn'd to normal each time.) They couldn't find/determine a reason for the fault readings. I don't know if they ever tested the battery, just that they couldn't determine any reason(s). Now that the battery has officially failed AFTER my warranty expired (again, milage is the factor), they've pretty much told me, "Tough luck kiddo! Guess you gotta pay for one."

Thanks for playing devil's advocate on this thread. I appreciate all the feedback and discussion. (BTW, I now have an AC Delco 78P-7YR Professional Platinum in the car.)

Quick Reply: ARGH!!! AC Delco AGM Battery Model 75P-7YR Problems