C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Son of "Bad Bogging Burnouts" - now what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 01:39 AM
gary brown
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Son of "Bad Bogging Burnouts" - now what?

In a thread I posted last month, I was having problems with getting consistent burnouts. Someone had suggested that I place the shifter in Drive while at a stop, and then turn off the traction control.

I tried that and it didn't work. There was ample water in the water boxes so that wasn't the issue either. I stomped on it HARD (as usual) when attempting the burnouts and 50% of the time it worked, and the other half I had the same bogging issue.

Question: what would it take to safely disable the traction control system on my '01 C5 A4? My hope is that this would eliminate the problem.

What do you guys think? Pros and cons? I want to get this particular issue resolved before the 2004 racing season. I need HELP! :cry

Gary
Old 10-28-2003, 04:10 AM
'97 C5
Pro

Default Re: Son of "Bad Bogging Burnouts" - now what? (gary brown)

Gary, have someone with LS1 edit capability mod the abuse mode for you.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:52 AM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Son of "Bad Bogging Burnouts" - now what? ('97 C5)

With a Yank TC and traction control off.......you will light em up all done the track let alone in the burnout box. Got a Sy-3500 for sale if ya interested.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:44 AM
gary brown
Drifting

Default Re: Son of "Bad Bogging Burnouts" - now what? ('97 C5)

Roxanna - interesting idea. Would this mean just eliminating the abuse mode capability? That just might do the trick. I'll look into this immediately.

Killr - actually I have the YANK PT 4200 stall and 3.73's so that shouldn't be the cause because, you are right, too weak converter could have been the culprit with my E.T. streets.

Gary

Old 10-28-2003, 12:06 PM
RWhite
Melting Slicks

2nd gear burn_outs work great for me. And I turn my traction control off once I am stopped and in the water, then spin the tires for a sec, roll forward and light those puppy's up (in 2nd) for 5-10 sec's.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:27 AM
gary brown
Drifting

Default Re: Son of "Bad Bogging Burnouts" - now what? (RWhite)

Alrighty then. First I'll try switching t/c off in the burnout box and then see what happens at the next race.

If that doesn't do the trick, then I'll have someone "abuse" the abuse mode with some LS1 edit.

Keep your fingers crossed and many thanks for these suggestions. :flag

Gary
Old 10-30-2003, 02:00 AM
LittleBoyBlu99
Le Mans Master

Keep working with it and it will get better. :auto: :steering: :cheers:
Old 10-30-2003, 03:07 PM
gary brown
Drifting

Default Re: Son of "Bad Bogging Burnouts" - now what? (LittleBoyBlu99)

Thanks Cedric. I need the encouragement. I have had this problem forever, but really hadn't decided to really tackle it until recently. I will persevere until it is resolved. :yesnod:
Old 11-02-2003, 12:42 AM
gary brown
Drifting

Default Re: Son of "Bad Bogging Burnouts" - now what? (RWhite)

2nd gear burn_outs work great for me. And I turn my traction control off once I am stopped and in the water, then spin the tires for a sec, roll forward and light those puppy's up (in 2nd) for 5-10 sec's.
Roger - this may have done the trick! I went out to Carlsbad today and made a couple of passes using the technique you described here - except I didn't spin the tires in the water. I went into the water box. Stopped. Put it in second gear, idled out of the water box, engaged the line loc, locked up the front tires and stomped on it - best couple of burnouts I have ever had! :hurray:

I didn't stay around as the track was WAY to oily due to the rains bringing up so much gunk and the car was ALL over the lane - worst 60's that I've had in over a year and the car was way out of control to the point where I just ran the right lane once, left lane once, and just rolled back into the pits, aired up and went home.

Anyway, if this technique works up at LACR in a couple of weeks, I will be one happy racer! I'll keep folks posted. Many thanks!

Gary

[Modified by gary brown, 9:44 PM 11/1/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Son of "Bad Bogging Burnouts" - now what?

Quick Reply: Son of "Bad Bogging Burnouts" - now what?