C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the off-white creamy paste in my oil cap?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 12:36 PM
Inelpaso
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the off-white creamy paste in my oil cap?

I have a 2001 Vette, 382 all-bore, MTI stage 3 heads, T1 cam. I have oil consumption problems as normal for this model/year. I've only had the car about a month so not sure if having the creamy stuff inside my oil filler cap is OK or signs of something serious. I clean it and it comes right back. The oil on the dip stick looks fine and the car runs good although it starts a little rough. Can anyone relate? :grouphug:
Old 11-16-2003, 12:45 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Re: What's the off-white creamy paste in my oil cap? (Inelpaso)

Coolant/moisture condensate? :confused: Hope not. :)
Old 11-16-2003, 12:50 PM
My2Dogs
Burning Brakes

I have a 2001 Vette, 382 all-bore, MTI stage 3 heads, T1 cam. I have oil consumption problems as normal for this model/year. I've only had the car about a month so not sure if having the creamy stuff inside my oil filler cap is OK or signs of something serious. I clean it and it comes right back. The oil on the dip stick looks fine and the car runs good although it starts a little rough. Can anyone relate? :grouphug:

:eek: Sounds like you have a coolant leak. Check dip stick to see if any on the end of it and I would suggest you drain the oil in a pan NOW !!!
Do not run car.

Water and oil do not get along with each other and your engine will go "Poof" very quickly.
May be head gasket leak, Intake leak , etc.
Old 11-16-2003, 01:03 PM
Inelpaso
Instructor

Default Re: What's the off-white creamy paste in my oil cap? (My2Dogs)

I checked the dip stick just now and it looks normal, dark brown,a little thin but I'm at 10% for oil change. I'll have it changed today if I can find a place open. I am losing a little coolant though :eek:
Old 11-16-2003, 01:25 PM
ronnie948
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: What's the off-white creamy paste in my oil cap? (My2Dogs)

Sounds as though you have water in the OIL !!!!! I would get this checked out as soon as possible if I were you. :confused: :nopity :banghead: :nonod:
Old 11-16-2003, 03:16 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

If you have a 382 all-bore, you've removed the factory problem, bad oil rings, when you put in new pistons, so your oil consumption problem is probably related to your coolant leak. Best get it fixed, quick
Old 11-16-2003, 03:35 PM
rhoeven
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like others stated, maybe moisture or coolant in the oil but before jumping to premature conclusions, have an oil analysis done. If they find Dexcool, you have a gasket problem but if they just find water, you could have a pcv problem.
Hope this helps

Roger
:cheers:
Old 11-16-2003, 03:35 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My guess would be the intake gasket, but that is just a guess.

Good luck finding the problem, let us know what was the culprit.
Old 11-16-2003, 04:01 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Default Re: What's the off-white creamy paste in my oil cap? (Miaugi)

Most likely it is nothing to worry about. I've seen it before. Condensation forms inside that cap when the car is sitting, then it gets some oil up there and mixes with the water from the condensation, forming the goo you are seeing. As long as the oil down in the pan is clean, you should be fine. Wouldn't hurt to have your oil analyzed to be sure.

Good luck.
Old 11-16-2003, 05:28 PM
Inelpaso
Instructor

Default Re: What's the off-white creamy paste in my oil cap? (jschindler)

Thanks all. I just returned from Pep Boys, State inspection and they looked at te oil filler cap and told me I had probably needed a head gasket. I'm going to get the oil analyzed first as has been recommended. :cheers:
Old 11-16-2003, 05:42 PM
Major Spray
Drifting

Most likely it is nothing to worry about. I've seen it before. Condensation forms inside that cap when the car is sitting, then it gets some oil up there and mixes with the water from the condensation, forming the goo you are seeing. As long as the oil down in the pan is clean, you should be fine. Wouldn't hurt to have your oil analyzed to be sure.

Good luck.
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

If the oil on the dip stick is clean you are fine. It is most likely just condensation.
Old 11-16-2003, 06:03 PM
Sack Rat TT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: What's the off-white creamy paste in my oil cap? (Major Spray)

Another easy check: oil floats on water(coolent) if not emulsified or if left undisturbed for awhile. Loosen the oil pan plug and catch the first few ounces of fluid to see if water has settled at the bottom of the pan. Once again, engine must set awhile. This may not answer the cause but aid in determining if oil is contaminated.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Old 11-16-2003, 06:12 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Default Re: What's the off-white creamy paste in my oil cap? (Sack Rat TT)

:iagree: with the above suggestions. Thinking about how the paste got there, it's not just going to be on the oil cap if it's a systemic problem so a second, slightly more invasive procedure would be to pull off the valve cover and see how the top of the head looks in the spring rocker area. If it's a serious problem, there should be some fairly obvious signs there because that substance is not going to be isolated to the oil cap unless it's as a post above suggests and it's just condensate mixing with oil in the cap.
Old 11-16-2003, 06:38 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

PLEASE - don't have any head work done until you analize the oil. Think about it. If it's a head gasket - or any other problem causing water/antifreeze to get into the oil, it's not just going to effect the oil in the cap of the filler. It would be in ALL the oil. Why isn't the oil on the dipstick the same color? I thought about this some more today. Where I used to see it was in boats that sat for several weeks at a time. Is your car a daily driver?
Old 11-16-2003, 08:59 PM
Old Rotor Head
Melting Slicks

Default Re: What's the off-white creamy paste in my oil cap? (ronnie948)

Sounds as though you have water in the OIL !!!!! I would get this checked out as soon as possible if I were you. :confused: :nopity :banghead: :nonod:
:iagree:
Old 11-16-2003, 09:13 PM
WRK CAR
Pro

Default Re: What's the off-white creamy paste in my oil cap? (Major Spray)

Good luck.
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

If the oil on the dip stick is clean you are fine. It is most likely just condensation.
:iagree:
Old 11-16-2003, 09:57 PM
z0sense
Drifting

Default Re: What's the off-white creamy paste in my oil cap? (WRK CAR)

First off......there is no intake gasket guys;)

I don't believe it is condensation. He said that he cleans it off and then it comes right back!!!! That would indicate steam. It may not be leaking into the oil, rather out the exhaust. When the coolant hits the exhaust it will steam, and may never see the engine oil otherwise. Leaving it to the top end of the motor!

So let me outline the steps I would take:
1. Check oil cap for creamy residue(which you did). Start the car and let it warm up. If steam (with water content) comes from the cap, you have a problem.

2. Start the car and let it run, to get up to operating temperature. Check the exhaust to see if steam (with water content) is coming out. You may want top hold a plastic bag about 4 - 5 inches away to see if any water vapor appears on the bag. The problem with it being cold is that the car's exhaust will cause colder things to condensate so this won't be completely accurate, but a good indication.

3. Pull the coolant cap and make sure it is full to the top, then start the enigne and see if it begins to bubble (almost like a rolling boil). The bubbles would be air, and indicative to the coolant being pressurized. You may have to wait for it to heat up etc!

4. One of the easiest ways to check for serious problems...pull off the valve cover. Takes about 10 minutes. Pull off both of them. If one has the creamy residue and the other doesn't then it is not condensation and the side that has the residue has a blown gasket. If both sides have it then it could be 2 bad gaskets or condensation.

If they used copper gaskets this is a common problem. Getting copper to seal is difficult, but can be accomplished if done right!

Get notified of new replies

To What's the off-white creamy paste in my oil cap?

Old 11-16-2003, 11:14 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,208 Likes on 3,454 Posts

If a leaky head gasket, there is a kit you can get at any parts store to test for combustion products in the coolant.

Good luck! :yesnod:
Old 11-17-2003, 01:04 PM
xtream1
Drifting

Location: Stealth So Cal GOCC ...comming to invade your neighborhood soon

Default Re: What's the off-white creamy paste in my oil cap? (Avanti)

Once the motor is cold, you can also check the radiator for oil in the water system. Another sign of a possible head gasket leak.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:07 PM
chefer_fenix
1st Gear

Default I agree

Originally Posted by jschindler
PLEASE - don't have any head work done until you analize the oil. Think about it. If it's a head gasket - or any other problem causing water/antifreeze to get into the oil, it's not just going to effect the oil in the cap of the filler. It would be in ALL the oil. Why isn't the oil on the dipstick the same color? I thought about this some more today. Where I used to see it was in boats that sat for several weeks at a time. Is your car a daily driver?
i totally agree with you dude! its common sense, dipstick should be milky too, so head gasket is not the problem. I got the same issue in my 1998 C5, and im trying to get my problem fixed before taking my car to the mechanic.

Quick Reply: What's the off-white creamy paste in my oil cap?