C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is best bolt-in xpipe for C5

Old 11-21-2003, 05:09 PM
tohigh4you
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is best bolt-in xpipe for C5

After speaking with local LS1edit tuner here in Dallas, he tells me xpipe can make a sizeable difference. What is best boltin kit available. I realize I will be removing cats and we will change tune to solve that problem. I dont want to modify or weld anything. I just want to unbolt factory hpipe/cats...and then boltin new xpipe section. There is a local selling one he had made, but if there are ones I can buy already fab'd which will let me keep my stock cats/pipe to bolt back in when i sell....this is what id like to do.....
Thanks!

:conehead
Old 11-21-2003, 05:42 PM
vettewreck
Burning Brakes

Default Re: What is best bolt-in xpipe for C5 (tohigh4you)

Kooks from More Performance in NC. I have there whole entire system and it sounds GREAT!!!
Old 11-21-2003, 07:51 PM
tohigh4you
Advanced

Default Re: What is best bolt-in xpipe for C5 (vettewreck)

so this system bolted right up to factory headers and rear exhaust....i havent seen the exhaust yet on underside but im guessing the cats are located on hpipe so when you drop this section cats come out and are then replaced by new boltin section.....
Old 11-21-2003, 08:14 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Most of the common X-pipes don't involve removng the cats...you cut the stock H-pipe behind the cats and fit the X-pipe.

If you definitely do want to remove the cats, you need an "off-road" X-pipe, but I'm unsure if these actually bolt to the stock manifold flange, or if they just require cutting and clamping on the pipes ahead of the cats. I think the latter, but again, I'm unsure.

I would suggest looking into the many header systems that include the X-pipe and cats/no cats (your preference) if you want to keep your stock H-pipe intact and uncut. If you're looking for a performance gain, you'll want headers anyways. Kits from FLP, LG, SW have complete bolton systems that will keep your stock exhaust stuff unmodified.

:cheers:
Old 11-21-2003, 09:17 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Re: What is best bolt-in xpipe for C5 (Y2Kvert4me)

If you're looking for just the x-pipe I would go with either the Magnaflow or Bassani (~$260).

However, I agree with Y2vert4me - if you ever plan to upgrade to headers, then save your money since most good header systems include a better flowing x-pipe as part of their package.

I will be selling my three month old Magnaflow x-pipe for $225 plus shipping once I install my LGM Long Tube headers.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:18 PM
tohigh4you
Advanced

Default Re: What is best bolt-in xpipe for C5 (AlohaC5)

well, i didnt plan on messing with xpipe but today when i was talking with guy whos gonna do ls1edit for me....he suggested airbox with tune and offroad xpipe would probably net 40rwhp......so now im thinking about going that route....
Old 11-22-2003, 08:09 AM
V8_Club
Burning Brakes

Corsa makes a great X-pipe ( $ 269 ) so does Bassani ( a little more expensive ). You don't need to gut your cats to install either. If your looking for a deal the MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust system is a great deal you get the exhasut + x-pipe which is good for around 20 rwhp ( depending on mods ) for under $ 1000.

:seeya
Old 11-22-2003, 09:56 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After speaking with local LS1edit tuner here in Dallas, he tells me xpipe can make a sizeable difference. What is best boltin kit available. I realize I will be removing cats and we will change tune to solve that problem. I dont want to modify or weld anything. I just want to unbolt factory hpipe/cats...and then boltin new xpipe section. There is a local selling one he had made, but if there are ones I can buy already fab'd which will let me keep my stock cats/pipe to bolt back in when i sell....this is what id like to do.....
Thanks!

I think you are going to be very disappointed if you are expecting a noticeable SOTP improvement by adding an X-Pipe. I went with the Magnaflow X-Pipe ($200). No complaints.

Mark

Old 11-23-2003, 08:01 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: What is best bolt-in xpipe for C5 (mdhmi)

Thanks!

I think you are going to be very disappointed if you are expecting a noticeable SOTP improvement by adding an X-Pipe. I went with the Magnaflow X-Pipe ($200). No complaints.

Mark
:iagree: I would not bother just putting an x pipe wait and do a whole system or spend the money else where JMHO
Old 11-23-2003, 09:00 PM
Terry Burger
Burning Brakes

So does anyone make a piece that bolts to the stock manifolds, and to the mufflers?
Old 11-23-2003, 09:32 PM
Killrwheels
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

well, i didnt plan on messing with xpipe but today when i was talking with guy whos gonna do ls1edit for me....he suggested airbox with tune and offroad xpipe would probably net 40rwhp......so now im thinking about going that route....
you wont see 40hp, even at the motor. :skep:
Old 11-25-2003, 12:27 AM
tohigh4you
Advanced

Default Re: What is best bolt-in xpipe for C5 (Killrwheels)

the 40rwhp was including airbox and tune w/ls1edit.....i was surprised myself but the tuner comes highly recommended so i didnt question him.....i do appeciate everyones input though.....
Old 11-25-2003, 01:02 AM
Face
Le Mans Master

Default Re: What is best bolt-in xpipe for C5 (Terry Burger)

Breathless does, but it's garbage. Just save up and get yourself some long tubes, and a x-pipe to go along with your airbox and tuning. Then you might see a 40 hp gain.
Old 11-25-2003, 03:40 PM
Terry Burger
Burning Brakes

Default Re: What is best bolt-in xpipe for C5 (Face)

Ahh well I'm running shorty headers for smog and resale reasons (not to mention long tubes are kinda expensive, got the used shorties for cheap), but wouldn't mind a bolt in "test pipe" with no cats and nice smooth 2.5"+ mandral bends. It would have to be in the $300 shipped range though to make sense for me. Is that what Breathless offers?

Old 11-25-2003, 05:26 PM
jedicowboy
Melting Slicks

Default Re: What is best bolt-in xpipe for C5 (V8_Club)

Corsa makes a great X-pipe ( $ 269 ) ...
10-4 to that
Old 11-25-2003, 10:48 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Default Re: What is best bolt-in xpipe for C5 (Terry Burger)

.... It would have to be in the $300 shipped range though to make sense for me. ....
Expect to spend at least five times that if you want a complete LT system.

Mark
Old 11-25-2003, 10:59 PM
Terry Burger
Burning Brakes

Default Re: What is best bolt-in xpipe for C5 (mdhmi)

Expect to spend at least five times that if you want a complete LT system.
Exactly! They are a bit of a ripoff.. :) I had TPIS headers / H pipe on my '00 and liked them, but I'd rather put the money in a direct port juice system on the '99. :) Does anyone make a "bolt in" h/x pipe for $300?
Old 11-26-2003, 07:38 AM
blktie8
Drifting

I have the magnaflow x pipe with zo6 cats B&B Prt's ,I want a stainless off road 3" with their Cat back also 3 "
Might as well get the LG SYSTEM OR STAINLESS WORKS you will end up there anyway.
John

Get notified of new replies

To What is best bolt-in xpipe for C5

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is best bolt-in xpipe for C5