C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires for Dummies - Drag Radials vs. ET Streets vs. ?

Old 12-09-2003, 05:19 PM
Tenderfoot
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tires for Dummies - Drag Radials vs. ET Streets vs. ?

OK, so what is the difference between drag radials and ET streets vs. 'regular' tires. What are some examples of drag radials and ET streets? Which ones to get for street use. I have an A4 with 3.15 axle ratio and stock GY runflats. I will shortly upgrade to 3.73 gears and Yank SS3600 TC. Need to know what tires to go with. Don't take the car to any kind of track but I imagine I will need stickier tires to handle the new gears and TC once I burn off the runflats. Need your tire advice along with an explanation of the terms drag radial and ET street. BTW, I have an Anniversary Edition coupe and would like to hold on to the champagne colored 5 spoke factory wheels as I want to maintain the AE look (i.e., not considering changing wheel size at this time.) Thanks for all the input. I posted this in drag racing forum, thinking I was in C5 Tech/Performance.
Old 12-09-2003, 06:32 PM
Face
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Tires for Dummies - Drag Radials vs. ET Streets vs. ? (Tenderfoot)

What are some examples of drag radials and ET streets? Which ones to get for street use.
What you're looking for are drag radials. You can mount BFG Drag radials on your stock 18's. Or you can pick up a extra pair of 17's and use either BFG or Nitto drag radials. E.T. streets really aren't street friendly, and will be unstable at high speeds without skinnies up front.
Here are a couple links to BFG's drag radials, http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgap...dragradial.jsp and http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/asset...rag_radial.pdf.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:15 PM
Chris@East Coast Supercharging
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Tires for Dummies - Drag Radials vs. ET Streets vs. ? (Tenderfoot)

I can explain the differences if you want to give me a buzz.. Your converter will be here by the 18th by the way :seeya :seeya
Old 12-09-2003, 08:27 PM
Fastguy
Team Owner

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05

Default Re: Tires for Dummies - Drag Radials vs. ET Streets vs. ? (CHRIS NJ C5)

I drive my car with Nitto 17" DR's all the time and aside from a little bit of rumble at highway speeds, they are fine.

[Modified by Fastguy, 8:28 PM 12/9/2003]
Old 12-09-2003, 08:49 PM
JAvery20
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Tires for Dummies - Drag Radials vs. ET Streets vs. ? (Fastguy)

kind of off topic, but is there a reason to use 17's on the back instead of 18's?

I was looking into buying a 18" rear set of rims and mounting DR's to swap on and off for track meets.

Get notified of new replies

To Tires for Dummies - Drag Radials vs. ET Streets vs. ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tires for Dummies - Drag Radials vs. ET Streets vs. ?