C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP Please!!!...P0300 code engine misfire detected at the track! ..what's it mean?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 10:32 PM
vstella
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default HELP Please!!!...P0300 code engine misfire detected at the track! ..what's it mean?

Well...I was at the track tonite and for the first couple of runs the car ran like a bull :smash:..but the third run something happened. The power was lost and the idle was very rough and I lost 8 tenths in my e.t. The DIC displayed a P0300 code. :yesnod: I looked up the code and it's a misfire detected:confused: WTF..???:eek:

I tried to clear it and it kept coming back..I could still drive the car home but there was a definate roughness to the acceleration and a loss of power..What is it? ...spark plug foul?...fuel injector failure...? I really need to get this fixed..I was sooooo close to the 10's.. :yesnod:

All the temps and pressures were OK on the DIC.. it's like running on 7 cylinders..no spark or no fuel..Anyone?..Please :sad:

[Modified by vstella, 10:34 PM 12/12/2003]
Old 12-12-2003, 10:49 PM
66ImpalaLT1
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: HELP Please!!!...P0300 code engine misfire detected at the track! ..what's it mean? (vstella)

Start simple, pull the wires and plugs, inspect them and check wire resistance. If thats all good then you need to get a scan tool out and start looking at what cylinders have rising misfire counts.

Eric
Old 12-12-2003, 10:53 PM
steveNY
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: HELP Please!!!...P0300 code engine misfire detected at the track!

I had this happen also, it was a bad set a sparkplug wires. I put a new set of wires on, reset the code, then all was good!
Old 12-12-2003, 11:01 PM
vstella
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: HELP Please!!!...P0300 code engine misfire detected at the track! (steveNY)

I had this happen also, it was a bad set a sparkplug wires. I put a new set of wires on, reset the code, then all was good! ...steveNY
If that's all it is..consider it done..I'm using the Taylor wires and they're sitting on the headers ..very possible they burend through..It was just too dark at the track..
Old 12-12-2003, 11:49 PM
molon labe
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: HELP Please!!!...P0300 code engine misfire detected at the track! (vstella)

check your injector wiring harnesses. that is one of the weakest links and has a documented history of causing problems. the wires connected to the harnesses are very small gauge and can easily get crimped, break, or come loose.

i had exactly the same code and symptoms you described and wound up making slight adjustments to my harnesses to correct the issue. :) :cheers:

[Modified by tattooed, 10:50 PM 12/12/2003]
Old 12-13-2003, 02:23 PM
BLUBYU2002C5
Burning Brakes

Default Re: HELP Please!!!...P0300 code engine misfire detected at the track! (tattooed)

Well its most likely a spark problem, Im guessing either a spark plug failed due to fouling or cracking, or your wires burned from the headers.

The best way to quickly find the problem:
*Find or borrow A-tap or a scanning device
*Select all cylinder misfire detection
*When you locate the cylinder or cylinders with high misfire rate (higher than normal)
*Pull the wire - Inspect for any burns, cracks openings (if nothing continue)
*Pull the plug - Check the plug, gapping, broken, ect... (if nothing continue)
*Then try switching wires with another cylinder - see if problem moves to that cylinder or stays with the existing one
*If all wires and plugs check out ok then try swapping the coil from the cylinder giving you a bad reading with another one that is good, if it moves there is your problem, if it doesnt time to check the injectors

Hope this helps but im sure you will find a bad plug wire as soon as you inspect it.

Mike
Old 12-13-2003, 05:15 PM
98GreenC5
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: HELP Please!!!...P0300 code engine misfire detected at the track! (BLUBYU2002C5)

I hope that it is one of the things suggested in the above replys....

But I had a similar experiance and it was a broken valve spring. :mad :mad

car felt exactly like you describe............

Hope your luck is better than mine..

Dick

Old 12-13-2003, 05:20 PM
LittleBoyBlu99
Le Mans Master

Default Re: HELP Please!!!...P0300 code engine misfire detected at the track! (steveNY)

Got me two times .
I had this happen also, it was a bad set a sparkplug wires. I put a new set of wires on, reset the code, then all was good!
:cheers: :thumbs: :iagree:
Old 12-13-2003, 05:24 PM
LittleBoyBlu99
Le Mans Master

(steveNY) welcome to the forum. :cheers: :cheers: :seeya :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To HELP Please!!!...P0300 code engine misfire detected at the track! ..what's it mean?

Quick Reply: HELP Please!!!...P0300 code engine misfire detected at the track! ..what's it mean?