C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZR6 or How to shoehorn a really big engine into a small engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 06:38 PM
Mikes99
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ZR6 or How to shoehorn a really big engine into a small engine bay

Alittle history then on to my question :chevy
I've been fascinated by Vettes all my life but fell in love when I was 20 and the 1993 40th Anniversary Edition RUBY RED! ZR-1 came out :hurray:
Test drove a regular ZR-1 loved the engine wasn't all too happy with the chassis. (plus my parents didnt think i should be driving a 400+HP car) :lol:
So now i have my own money (okay so its inheritance but its MINE!)
Now.. is it just me or does anyone else think the C5 should have come with a LT5 'type' engine standard??
Number two.. i bought a 60k mile pristine, mechanically & cosmetically perfect 1999 Torch red FRC for $25k cash in Dec 2002... good deal? (of course i would have paid anything for what i really wanted) :cool:
Real question, I bought the service manuals and am getting ready to make a one of a kind vette, gotta be unique! I just bought a 22k mile '90 LT5 engine/tranny/comp/harness, etc (everything)
And came here to draw on the many years of experience and knowledge:
Will it fit?! :confused: Does anyone know the dimensions of the LT5 in relation to the C5 engine bay? If they can fit a 4 cam Northstar in a XLR, why can't i fit the LT5 in my FRC!
Is the tranny mounting bolt pattern similar? yes i may need a custom input shaft.. but what about mounting the torque tube thingy up to the LT5?
And what about the 17 on board computers :crazy:
Would I have to get rid of the ETC or could it be modified to work with the LT5? TC? Interfacing to the rest of the car, dash, etc.
Will all this info and specs be in the service manuals for the car and engine?
And yes i know stock the LT5 engine only has 30 more hp and the same tq as a LS1... but I want a LT5 in my FRC ..just like i wanted a TR Hardtop! and who says im keeping the engine stock!
:cheers:
Thanks a million and i love the forum..been lurking for a month since i found it on google :seeya
Old 01-18-2004, 07:33 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: ZR6 or How to shoehorn a really big engine into a small engine bay (Mikes99)

With enough money anyone could do anything. You could spent thousands and thousands of dollars. The LT-5 is a much taller motor and the computer stuff would be :crazy: Someone did put a big block in a Vette in about 98 in was featured in one of the mags. You could spend some money on the C5 for less and have a very unique auto. It is a very expensive deal. Enjoy your money don't waste it. :D

[Modified by John Shiels, 7:34 PM 1/18/2004]
Old 01-18-2004, 07:42 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default Re: ZR6 or How to shoehorn a really big engine into a small engine bay (John Shiels)

The reason the c5 didn't come with an lt-5 type motor is becuase DOHC powerplants are heavy, large, and don't have a broad torque curve when compared to a pushrod motor. However, they do pull like a freight train in higher RPMS. Look at the new Ford Cobra (shelby cobra) concept with a 6.4 liter DOHC 40 valve V10! I makes 640 hp! All said I wouldn't waste my money on a lt-5 conversion. You can spend 8k on your FRC for intake, H/C, headers, and tuning and have 450+ horses to the wheel! Or you could go get a 427 c5-r motor and have 530ish to the wheels. Add a blower or twin turbos to the mix and the sky is the limit. Point is that you would have tons more power, a powertrain that WILL work with all the pc systems and simply bolt in. :cheers:
Old 01-18-2004, 08:00 PM
GTB/ZR-1
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Re: ZR6 or How to shoehorn a really big engine into a small engine bay (Mikes99)

Welcome Mike!
You asked the question in the right section, but buckle up & put on your flame suit wanting to place the LT5 in your C5--these guys aren't go to go for that business.

As a 9 year ZR-1 owner, most of the years modified--I can vouch that the LT5 is a monster, ESPECIALLY when modded, although they are admittedly heavy for an aluminum engine.
I have 2 C5s, including a Z06--I love them both and they're great cars. But, if I could have an LT5(especially a modded one) in a C5, give me that 4 cam, 32V, 7500 RPM wonder :reddevil

My advice though? Keep it simple, and build up that LS1, they're fantastic engines, are easy to mod and make great HP for a pushrod motor--they're very sophisticated; and, it'll save you untold thousands in a project that may not even be feasible...

Interesting first post--have fun on the forum :thumbs:
Old 01-18-2004, 08:52 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

If that is what you want, then I say yank out that LS1 engine and stuff that LT5 engine in there!! :smash: Spend whatever money you need to make it work... I say spare NO EXPENSE!! :flag Let us know how it goes!! :yesnod:

VR :cheers:

:leaving:
Old 01-18-2004, 09:02 PM
66ImpalaLT1
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: ZR6 or How to shoehorn a really big engine into a small engine bay (vetterdstr)

Be aware that the LT5 is probably longer than the LS1. It wont fit between the rack and bellhousing. This is the first problem I'd attack, then I'd look at the oil pan depth. LT5 pan would most likely scrape the ground. If you cant put a shorter pan or dry sump on it, you'll have to relocate the drivetrain upward. This would most certainly involve a mostly custom tunnel.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:55 PM
NEPTUNEBILL
Melting Slicks

Boy I thought I knew how to **** away money, sounds like a fun project--plan on a year of R&D and frustrating things nobody thought about--hell you can get 1200hp out of the motor thats in there so apparently its not about power--you may want to drive some of the built ls1 cars before you tackle this and maybe put the zr1 in an Fbody, build it up, put in a drive train and have a really unique car for street or strip--the c5 drive train will only handle so much anyway and then there's traction issues so it seems there is a point of deminishing return on these anyway--but if you proceed we would love to have the on-going info--great project and good luck keep us informed
Old 01-18-2004, 11:51 PM
Mikes99
Intermediate

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!
Yes, I knew i was opening myself up for flames. :mad
There are ZR-1 purists who would die before seeing The Heart of The Beast in a C5 ..let alone the C5 purist who would rather drive a Ford then see a LT5 put into a C5! :jester
But wouldn't any Vette lover want the best of all worlds... Look at the RetroVette! :boxing Not quite my style but still a lovely vette!
GTB/ZR-1: "But, if I could have an LT5(especially a modded one) in a C5, give me that 4 cam, 32V, 7500 RPM wonder :reddevil "
Now you're talking! you get it :rofl:
Corba4B: I just want a high revving reliable motor that puts out 500hp/450tq.. oh as far as all the mods, I prefer naturally aspirated. :yesnod:

I figured it would require alot of custom bits.. but thats the point! :D
But it i have to customize a WHOLE new front end .. that takes away part of the factory design of the C5 i like! :cry
A new engine cradle K member thingy is fine to hold the LT5 and reposition the rack as long as it doesnt change the factory suspension geometry! :banghead:
But most of the factory bits need to be upgraded anyway to accomodate the heavier & wider engine, etc.
I guess its time to find another daily driver and just put up the FRC and strip off the front end to 'try' out the LT5
:withstupid:
I know its a bit chessy but the next C5 im getting is a white vert with an auto ... but it has to be the Perfect car like my FRC ... then a Blue luxo-coupe (all options) :flag
So when i open the garage.. its Red. White. And Blue!
Unless I'm looking completely in the wrong places, I can't seem to find specs online for what I need. Hopefully the service manuals help some.

Time for some R&D and a :cheers:

ciao! :seeya
Old 01-19-2004, 12:05 AM
Mikes99
Intermediate

And of course you know it's about Bragging rights and being unique.
Blow away some of these kids in their rice rockets or some young guys i've seen driving Z06s, who nothing of real performance or the history of the Corvette.
I put one kid in his place when I first got my FRC, He had a little turbo 'import' (to put it PC) with NO2. He kept up with me half way thru second... then when i shifted into 3rd he lost alot of ground and then slowed way down for this sharp turn, which i took at 90 no problem :seeya
It 90% driver/ 10% vehicle :) not that this was on the street or that I advocate street racing :rofl:
I thought it was funny cuz i had a full tank of gas and me and my passenger were 200 pounds each.
I stopped and he asked what I had... I yelled "stock"
Now Ideally I would it would go like this ...
"what do u have unda da hood?"
I yell back "The Heart of the Beast" and speed off! :steering:
Now how many kids or "drivers of import cars" would know what I'm talking about!

:cheers:

[Modified by Mikes99, 6:18 AM 1/19/2004]
Old 01-19-2004, 01:40 AM
66ImpalaLT1
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I dont have anything against doing it, but I know that it will be a very difficult project. The LT5 is taller, wider, and longer than the LS1. It much bigger than a northstar.

I think the height of the engine will be the biggest problem you will have.

But, if you only want to rev to 7500 and make 500/450 you dont need DOHC. I'd probably just call up LG and have them start on a 385 with a 4.125" bore and 3.62" stroke. That 500/450 would be at the rear wheels.

For the cost of an LT5 swap, you could probably build a C5R motor (even with C5R heads.)

If you only want to blow away rice rockets and Z06's, you've set your goal too low. :D

Eric
Old 01-19-2004, 05:04 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can brag you paid 5,000 for a new bare head if you need one too.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:23 PM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I could understand this project if you wanted to rev past 7500 and make 600-700 hp. 500hp is nothing though. Take a stock LS1 with heads/cam and the bolt-ons and you'll put down 425-450rwhp EASILY (which is over 500hp). You won't even have to rev to 7000. Hell, the extra weight will slow you down and make you handle worse (especially since the engine is taller and will not be able to be mounted as low in the car).

Extra money to go slower, not a wise idea in my book :) For the amount of $$ it's gonna cost, a full on C5R block, C5R headed nightmare would make way more power (probably in the neighborhood of 700) and probably STILL cost way way less.

However, if you've just got too much money to spend...go for it. That would be an interesting project. I've seen an LT5 in a thirdgen Camaro, the guy said he had to do massive fabrication to the entire front subframe to fit it. It was sweet though. On a related note, a big block fits in a thirdgen camaro with NO issues (maybe some minor ones, I seem to remember wiper motors getting in the way or something). Just to give you an idea of how big the LT5 is.

Dope
Old 01-19-2004, 03:31 PM
korvetkeith
Melting Slicks

Default Re: ZR6 or How to shoehorn a really big engine into a small engine bay (Dope)

I think its a bad butt project that lots of us have actually dreamed of. But I would say that in order to shut up all of those naysayers, you need to go all out on the LT5. 600rwhp has been maid on a 415 LT5, on pump gas, no power adders. The owner of that car is confident that it will make 625rwhp soon. Most 400+ inch LSx motors couldn't touch that number with a 100rwhp stick.
Good Luck
Old 01-19-2004, 03:52 PM
jmX
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: ZR6 or How to shoehorn a really big engine into a small engine bay (korvetkeith)

No way in hell I'd recommend doing what you are doing. There are so many better options its not even funny, not the least of which would be putting a 427 C5-R in there which not only will fit, but is DESIGNED for the car.

An LT5 is neat and all, but working on that thing in the C5 engine bay is going to be absolute hell. I think once the car is done (after what is probably 10-20k worth of custom work) you are either going to have to be rich to pay somebody to maintain it, or you're going to hate working on it.

Sounds like you're buying a candy bar factory just so you can have a candy bar. There's much easier ways to meet your goals.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:28 PM
C5JONNY
Melting Slicks

Blown 427-DONE
Old 01-19-2004, 04:38 PM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

Default Re: ZR6 or How to shoehorn a really big engine into a small engine bay (Dope)

I could understand this project if you wanted to rev past 7500 and make 600-700 hp. 500hp is nothing though. Take a stock LS1 with heads/cam and the bolt-ons and you'll put down 425-450rwhp EASILY (which is over 500hp). You won't even have to rev to 7000. Hell, the extra weight will slow you down and make you handle worse (especially since the engine is taller and will not be able to be mounted as low in the car).

Extra money to go slower, not a wise idea in my book :) For the amount of $$ it's gonna cost, a full on C5R block, C5R headed nightmare would make way more power (probably in the neighborhood of 700) and probably STILL cost way way less.
:iagree:
Too much effort for the gains your talking about and unless you plan to design and machine the custom brackets that will be required then I wouldn't even attempt it. :crazy: :cheers: :crazy:
Old 01-19-2004, 05:09 PM
angryfly
Instructor

Default Re: ZR6 or How to shoehorn a really big engine into a small engine bay (jmX)

Sounds like you're buying a candy bar factory just so you can have a candy bar. There's much easier ways to meet your goals.
:iagree: 427 baby!
Old 01-19-2004, 10:44 PM
J-Rod
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: ZR6 or How to shoehorn a really big engine into a small engine bay (angryfly)

With the width of the LT5, I don't know if you could get it in the C5. Neat idea, just be ready for lots of fab work. You could just buy a new LT5 crate motor if you want to try it. Carol Smith the owner of Monument Chevrolet here in Houston bought 3 or 4 LT5 crate motors for half price from Chevrolet, as they were clearing out all the old stock of them. You might still be able to get one. Carol is putting one of them in a street rod pickup. A buddy of mine did the harness on it. It was strictly for the wow factor. The LT5 has lots of potential, but there is alot of one off stuff you will need to cook up. I'm just not real sure if the motor will even fit....
Old 01-19-2004, 11:43 PM
Jimwood
Racer

I just bought a 22k mile '90 LT5 engine/tranny/comp/harness, etc (everything)

Will it fit?!
:troll

Get notified of new replies

To ZR6 or How to shoehorn a really big engine into a small engine bay

Quick Reply: ZR6 or How to shoehorn a really big engine into a small engine bay