C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much lash is normal for a C5?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 09:25 PM
01vetter
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 21 Posts

Default How much lash is normal for a C5?

I bought a used '01 coupe several months ago. It is in pristine shape with just 17K miles. I don't think it was abused (equal wear on front and rear tires and both have tread wear commensurate with mileage). It has a 6 spd. manual.

Here is what I am encountering. Sometimes when I shift I hear a clunk when I engage the clutch. I can eliminate this is by applying the just right amount of gas when I engage the clutch. I also noticed the clunk if I accelerate slowly in 1st gear to about 2K RPM and then quickly remove my foot from the gas. It isn't a large clunk, but is noticeable and irritating. I know the car makes a lot of mechanical noise and I like this. I just want to know if this is normal or perhaps the car's U joints/gears have excessive wear. I have one month left on the dealer warrantee and want to flag this if it is a problem before it expires.

Thanks in advance for your suggestion!
Old 09-02-2004, 12:53 AM
Monster231
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

totally normal. Mine makes alot of noise as well
Old 09-02-2004, 01:45 AM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01vetter
I bought a used '01 coupe several months ago. It is in pristine shape with just 17K miles. I don't think it was abused (equal wear on front and rear tires and both have tread wear commensurate with mileage). It has a 6 spd. manual.

Here is what I am encountering. Sometimes when I shift I hear a clunk when I engage the clutch. I can eliminate this is by applying the just right amount of gas when I engage the clutch. I also noticed the clunk if I accelerate slowly in 1st gear to about 2K RPM and then quickly remove my foot from the gas. It isn't a large clunk, but is noticeable and irritating. I know the car makes a lot of mechanical noise and I like this. I just want to know if this is normal or perhaps the car's U joints/gears have excessive wear. I have one month left on the dealer warrantee and want to flag this if it is a problem before it expires.

Thanks in advance for your suggestion!
Leave your car in gear and grab a rear tire. Rock the tire hard back and forth and you may be able to duplicate the noise you are hearing on one or both tires. If you do it should sound like it is coming from the center of the hub. If it does you have a very common problem of the 34mm axle nut coming loose just enought to cause the splines to make a noise like the old days of a U joinf going south. The 34MM axle nut needs to be loosened, then spary some lubricant inside. Retorque to 125 ft. lbs.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:50 AM
01vetter
Burning Brakes

Default How much lash is normal for a C5?

Originally Posted by Richin Chicago
Leave your car in gear and grab a rear tire. Rock the tire hard back and forth and you may be able to duplicate the noise you are hearing on one or both tires. If you do it should sound like it is coming from the center of the hub. If it does you have a very common problem of the 34mm axle nut coming loose just enought to cause the splines to make a noise like the old days of a U joinf going south. The 34MM axle nut needs to be loosened, then spary some lubricant inside. Retorque to 125 ft. lbs.

Richin,

Do I jack the rear so that both rear tires are clear of the ground or just rock the tire when it is on the ground?
Old 09-02-2004, 10:26 AM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Richin,

Do I jack the rear so that both rear tires are clear of the ground or just rock the tire when it is on the ground?

On the ground will work just fine.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:39 AM
01vetter
Burning Brakes

I checked it out and I definitely have a loose axle nut. Makes quite a clunk from the hub!

I also noticed some lash in the gears when I rock the tires. I don't know how much of this is normal. It is hard for me to believe that the gears would be worn with just 17K miles. Any comments?

Thanks Richin for your advice!
Old 09-03-2004, 10:02 AM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

I checked it out and I definitely have a loose axle nut. Makes quite a clunk from the hub!

I also noticed some lash in the gears when I rock the tires. I don't know how much of this is normal. It is hard for me to believe that the gears would be worn with just 17K miles. Any comments?

Thanks Richin for your advice!
I am going to guess that the only problem is the axle nut needing to be retorqued. There will definitely be some other "give" but that is quite normal.

BTW I found a 34MM deep socket on EBay quite cheap. Also GM should cover this service if you are still under warranty.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:07 AM
HITMAN99
Drifting

34 MM!!!!!!!! :shocked:

You could loosen a manhole cover with that bad boy!!
Old 09-03-2004, 12:04 PM
Jackal
Drifting

Originally Posted by Richin Chicago

No locktite? Wont it come loose again?
Old 09-03-2004, 12:06 PM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jackal
No locktite? Wont it come loose again?
Mine haven't in 2+ years. But it is pretty easy to tighten. Not sure this would be a good application for loctite. Awfully large diameter and very exposed to the elements.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:06 PM
bletour2001
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn!! I'll have to check that tonight! I noticed the sound as well recently but never really had before! It reminded me of U-Joints right away as well. I hope thats it!

--Bill

Get notified of new replies

To How much lash is normal for a C5?

Quick Reply: How much lash is normal for a C5?