C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Me Myself and My Column Lock...

Old 12-02-2004, 11:57 AM
Vette-Dream
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Me Myself and My Column Lock...

Ok, here's the short version...

Recall notice came, took it in to the dealer, picked it up and left for a few weeks on work trips. About a month and 100 miles later the car is sitting in front of a store while I'm christmas shopping and when I get in to head home... "Pull key and wait 10 seconds" followed by the Column Lockup message.

Now the pin didn't kill the steering but the engine would die anytime I tried to move it. Called the dealer, out comes the flatbed and I ease the car up onto it.

Few days later they aren't able to reproduce it to troubleshoot it, so I picked it in the afternoon and drove a couple miles away for some lunch and when I leave the resturaunt the same thing happens. This time though, after about 30 minutes I go to start it up again (still waiting on the truck to arrive) and it's fine. Drove it back to the dealer and dropped it off.

So my question... what might cause this?
Old 12-02-2004, 12:26 PM
wwashing
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lack of a column lock bypass.

I'm going to guess that the laying on of hands to your lock mechanism left it in a state where it is no longer as free to unlock as before they messed with it.

They also changed the programming to make sure you can't drive it when the part is misbehaving. IMO the recall makes having the problem (lock-up) more of a hassle because of the programming change.

All the recall does for M6 owners is install a programming fix to make sure you can't drive the car if the lock malfunctions, and in some cases install a new part that supposedly reduces the likelihood that the lock pin will hang up. The recall does not guarantee that the lock will not fail in the future, just that you can't drive if it does misbehave.

If I were you I'd install the by-pass. I have one sitting in my office waiting for the trouble to start, then I guess I'll bite the bullet and install. sigh!
Old 12-02-2004, 12:47 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by wwashing
Lack of a column lock bypass.

I'm going to guess that the laying on of hands to your lock mechanism left it in a state where it is no longer as free to unlock as before they messed with it.

They also changed the programming to make sure you can't drive it when the part is misbehaving. IMO the recall makes having the problem (lock-up) more of a hassle because of the programming change.

All the recall does for M6 owners is install a programming fix to make sure you can't drive the car if the lock malfunctions, and in some cases install a new part that supposedly reduces the likelihood that the lock pin will hang up. The recall does not guarantee that the lock will not fail in the future, just that you can't drive if it does misbehave.

If I were you I'd install the by-pass. I have one sitting in my office waiting for the trouble to start, then I guess I'll bite the bullet and install. sigh!
Everyone needs a CLB! I threw out the recall notice.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:56 PM
hhntr111
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

me, too. I have a 2004 m6, got a bypass kit, and installed it in about 30 minutes...so far, no problems. And I'm not the hottest wrench in town...

hhntr111
Old 12-02-2004, 02:15 PM
blazeone
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hhntr111
me, too. I have a 2004 m6, got a bypass kit, and installed it in about 30 minutes...so far, no problems. And I'm not the hottest wrench in town...hhntr111
Old 12-02-2004, 03:56 PM
ProtoVette
Pro

What is this kit and where do you get one from?
Thank you.
Chris
Old 12-02-2004, 04:35 PM
hhntr111
Burning Brakes

There are kits in all the catalogs...I think I got mine from Zip. They cost about $20.00, and come with instructions.

hhntr111
Old 12-02-2004, 04:50 PM
ProtoVette
Pro

Thanks.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:39 PM
skip89
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the CLB installed, now I don't want the reprogramming done. It does not cure the problem. Like was said just shuts off the gas when it happens.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:51 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by ProtoVette
What is this kit and where do you get one from?
Thank you.
Chris
I got mine from ls1howto.com but I don't see the link to it on Jim's page anymore.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:07 AM
Utopia
Advanced

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...vid=7&pcid=156
This is the one I used easy to install.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:42 PM
DSimonini
Instructor

Also be aware that if you take your car back to a dealer and you've had any customized tuning done to your computer for performance, it will all be wiped out when you get it back. If you have a lot of mods, driving home on a stock program could be verrrry interesting
Old 12-07-2004, 05:15 AM
Vette-Dream
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

So just to confirm... if I've had the recall done and I install the CLB then I will or will not see the "Pull key and wait ten seconds" in the future ever. Also, if I add the CLB after having had the recall performed then it will or will not ever shut off the gas on me as it has twice now since having the recall performed.

From the printout of the recall that they left on the passenger seat of my car, it appears as others have said on this forum that for an A4 the recall removed the locking plate so the steering wheel can't be locked anymore at all and reprogram the computer. I guess I'm not too worried about the lack of a locking steering wheel when the key is out since it can't be taken out of Park, but it sounds like reprogramming the computer may have left a few gremlins in my car that have triggered the column lock mode twice since taking it back.

I had the car back to the dealer for another look after the second time it did this, but picked it up the next day when it was apparent that they didn't have the time to duplicate the issue. Truth be told since it was random in the first place, I couldn't blame them. So cross your fingers for me, have a CLB coming in the mail. Guess I'll keep it in the trunk with a pack of tools in case it happens again.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:19 AM
roscoe118
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette-Dream
So cross your fingers for me, have a CLB coming in the mail. Guess I'll keep it in the trunk with a pack of tools in case it happens again.
You need to ask the dealer if they installed the Harness K as part of the recall. I think that they are supposed to, with A4's. This is GM's version of the CLB, and I believe should prevent the problems that you are experiencing. The reason for asking is that, if I am not mistaken, there have been problems in the past when both the Harness K, and CLB, are installed. If the Harness K was not installed, and they tell you that it is not part of the recall, then install the CLB, don't leave it in the trunk .

Old 12-07-2004, 12:20 PM
JohnTheStigGalt
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hhntr111
There are kits in all the catalogs...I think I got mine from Zip. They cost about $20.00, and come with instructions.

hhntr111
The price musta gone up cuz now Zips and TR sell them for about $50...
Old 12-07-2004, 12:22 PM
JohnTheStigGalt
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
I got mine from ls1howto.com but I don't see the link to it on Jim's page anymore.
http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=24

Here are the instructions, but they link to Thunder Racing to purchase it.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:25 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by SeaLawyer
The price musta gone up cuz now Zips and TR sell them for about $50...
I don't think I ever saw them for $20 unless it was part of a beta program. I got mine @ $40 before the price increase. $50 is still the cheapest I have seen.

Originally Posted by vette-dream
So just to confirm... if I've had the recall done and I install the CLB then I will or will not see the "Pull key and wait ten seconds" in the future ever.
Correct. I was concerned about this too as sometimes I would get 'service column lock'and other times 'pull key...'. I have never seen either since installing the CLB.

Get notified of new replies

To Me Myself and My Column Lock...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Me Myself and My Column Lock...