C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update on my sticking LUK Pro Gold

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 05:50 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default Update on my sticking LUK Pro Gold

Called Carolina Clutch today and he said you must adjust the self adjuster all the way coutner clockwise before install... refered me to call the kind folks at MSI as they've had customers w/ the exact same problems I was having (high RPM shift slippage)

Mark at MSI was great and said that for some reason most of the LUKs don't come setup for their max capablity of clamping force, and that if you don't adjust them they'll have less than my stocker.

He asked me if my clutch pedal felt easy to push in and I said "Yeah is sure is." I noticed that up on picking the car up, I was expecting something stiffer. Well he said, "It's not supposed to be. We thought they were, until we started driving them hard. When properly adjsuted the pedal is quite firm b/c the pressure plate is supposed to have 18% more clamping force than a stock Z06er. Problem is most of my customers drive around to Napa Valley or down to the shop for burgers on the weekend."

I'm going to pull my headers and adjust the clutch through the inspection cover (should be able to do this) If this doesn't fix the damn cluth Tom at Carolina Clutch told me to give him a call about getting a new unit.

Clutch vendors need to tell people this **** before they go to all the trouble to install them. GM specs say the PP only needs to be re-adjusted when adding a new dist to an existing PP, the LUK should have come ready to go, but they're not!

Also, LUK's tech support people are morons. They've told me twice that the PRO GOLD is indeed OEM equipment for the 02-04 Z06 and the only addition is the lighter flywheel. I got worried b/c all the tuners are marketing these clutches as and upgrade. Tom at Carolina Clutch got pissed when I asked him about this, b/c it's flat out wrong... he's even called the president to tell him that the tech people are telling people this b/c it's happened before. Andy at A&A and the boys at Xtreme Motorsports are using this unit of very high power cars w/ no problems.

Anyway... I hope this crap works. It's getting costly, and nobody seems to want to pay for any of it.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:26 PM
Cruncher
Burning Brakes

What was wrong with getting an Exedy?
Old 11-22-2004, 08:32 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

so your pedal was sticking or the clutch was slipping??

Dave
Old 11-22-2004, 10:16 PM
ArKay99
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, the adjustment notice and procedure are in the documentation that comes with the clutch., at least it did on my friends.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:21 PM
97 SC Cobra
Burning Brakes

Received 110 Likes on 87 Posts

Sorry to hear your having issues Brian. I have the same set up but I haven't got it in the car yet. Your posts have probably saved me some aggravation. Thanks for sharing and good luck straightening everything out.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:14 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Slipping... I misstyped... I didn't get an excedy b/c the clutch was like $400 more for the single disk and that's a lot of money! The LUK says nothing in the box about adjusting it at all... only torque specs!
Old 11-22-2004, 11:51 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

so twisting this screw affected your pedal effort? How much harder then stock is it now??
Dave
Old 11-22-2004, 11:52 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

It's not twisting a screw... it's properly setting the pressure plate self adjuster so it provides to proper clamping force. Apparently they come in a state where they aren't clamping at their max capability.

Get notified of new replies

To Update on my sticking LUK Pro Gold

Quick Reply: Update on my sticking LUK Pro Gold