C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help me choose exhaust for c5

Old 12-24-2004, 01:23 AM
vette529
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me choose exhaust for c5

I need help in chossing exhaust for my c5. There are many different types of systems from borla, magnaflow, corsa, billyboat, etc. I want something loud and something that sounds really good, including x pipe, h-pipe. Another question I have is what is the best air intake for the horsepower?
Thanks
need exhaust!
Old 12-24-2004, 01:28 AM
blackbelt
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Stingers are popular. Bullets sound good as well. Both are Loud with Bullets being a little louder and deeper.

Intake - Vararam.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:35 AM
vette529
Heel & Toe

who makes the bullet?
Old 12-24-2004, 01:36 AM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Before you decide on a system, listen to a few different types. Vette clubs or a shop that does a lot of work on corvettes. There is a different tone and volume level in the various choices. Each owner has his or her favorite, so...... check them out and let us know what you went with...Good luck......
Old 12-24-2004, 02:14 AM
USA-VET
Le Mans Master

I have a small video if you want it pm me your email, I also have a good place to buy them for $540 shipped
Old 12-24-2004, 02:50 AM
kedvesh
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

LG Long Tube Headers w/ the cats and a set of GHL Bullets!
Old 12-24-2004, 03:33 AM
OutlawDon
Drifting

Halltech Stinger

B&B Bullets

Old 12-24-2004, 05:23 AM
yelloyello
Melting Slicks

CI 6-7, 9-10 Veteran

If you are looking for loud, go with the B&B's. They are a little too loud for my liking, but they do sound sweet! Good luck
Old 12-24-2004, 07:30 AM
whitelite
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Corsa touring for in cabin quiet, but sweet at WOT....Randy

Oh yea, the Lg's with free flow cats for a little louder and a couple more ponies

Last edited by whitelite; 12-24-2004 at 07:32 AM.
Old 12-24-2004, 07:39 AM
Icemanskis
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

If you go with the B&B bullets and eventually also install aftermarket headers (Dynatech, kooks, LGMs, etc) your system will be quite loud....probably borderline too loud if you dont use cats as well. I feel that the borla stringers are a milder choice.
Old 12-24-2004, 08:13 AM
ooh yeah
Drifting

I just switched from Magnaflows to quad round tip Borla's and love them. They are loud enough that I still can hear the tunes. Each car will sound a little different depending on your setup, so compare apples to apples when you listen to other systems .
Old 12-24-2004, 10:17 AM
phear_this_mind
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First things first:

Daddy has the sounds that you need ...

http://www.thx2.net/exhaust.htm
http://www.grumby.com/videos.html

(Grumby is currently down at the time of this posting - I do not know if it will be back up. It was operational less than a week ago)

Remember, hearing it over your computer is going to have a lot to do with the quality of your soundcard and your speakers. It is also going to have a lot to do with the environment and the quality of the recording equipment. So, in other words, you really need to hear it for yourself. But in an imperfect world, these links should help help you get at least some sort of idea.

Personally I have the GHL bullets 3.5 inch round tips. I would highly recommend them. The construction is amazing, the service is awesome, IMHO they are the best combination of exotic/muscle car sound, and there is no resonance.

Note: B&B and GHL both make a "bullet" series.

Note: Linginfelter says Borla outflows any other system, but uses GHL on all of their Twin Turbo packages claiming there is up to a 30HP difference over SOME competitors.

Here is a BASIC list I have compiled through personal experience, second hand information, and sound clips. Please know that I am extremely **** when researching so this is pretty thorough. : )

Going from "quietest" to "loudest" (in most opinions)

Corsa Datona/Touring: Mild decibles, no resonance, exotic sound, very good looks, multiple tip options

Magnaflow: Mild decibles, no resonance, muscle car sound, built in exhaust plate, good X pipe combo (magnaflow x pipe is the best independent X pipe)

Tri Flow Route 66: Mild decibles, no resonance, mucle car sound

Corda Indy Pace Car: Mediocre decibles, no resonance, exotic sound, generally considered the best looking exhaust, multiple tip options, considered a GM performance part.
Go to: www.westcoastcorvette.com to listen to clips

GHL Bullets: Moderate decibles, no resonance, exotic/muscle car sound, used on all of lingenfelters twin turbo packages, multiple tip options, straight cut design with no resonance, has been said to outflow some competitors by as much as 30 HP on HIGHLY modified engines

Borla Stingers: Moderate decibles, mild resonance, deep muscle sound/ very smooth sound, Lingenfeler quoted as saying that these outflow all other exhaust, multiple tip options, very smooth idle

GHL Magnums: Moderately high decibles, mild resonance, deep muscle sound, straight cut design, muscle car sound, cheap

B&B Bullets: High decibles, deep muscle car sound, notable resonance, these things scream, loudest exhaust that is somewhat tolerable for a daily driver (with headers and x pipe these may become too loud, with no cats they are almost certainly too loud for a daily driver)

SLP Loudmouths: Absolutely beautiful sound at WOT, "meanest" exhaust around, extremely loud and not recommeded for daily driving, cheap

It is very possible that I left out an exhaust or two, but these are certainly the more popular options.

Hope that helps!
Old 12-24-2004, 10:46 AM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Get GHL Magnums they are the best!
Old 12-24-2004, 11:11 AM
Roofless
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

I have B&B Bullets with SW headers and an Xpipe and love it, you want loud and throthy you got it. I have had severalof the otheres but these are the best I have ever had.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:41 AM
L.A.P.D.
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06

Originally Posted by vette529
I need help in chossing exhaust for my c5. There are many different types of systems from borla, magnaflow, corsa, billyboat, etc. I want something loud and something that sounds really good, including x pipe, h-pipe. Another question I have is what is the best air intake for the horsepower?
Thanks
need exhaust!
Gotta throw my 2 cents in here...

GHL has the sound you are looking for and as for air intakes, I highly recommend the VaraRam.

Take a look in the tech section and you'll see where we gained 31 RWHP and 18 RWT on an otherwise stock Z!

Give me a call on Tuesday or email me and I will hook you up.

Happy Holidays,

Shawn
Old 12-24-2004, 02:05 PM
vettemaster1
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

b&b prt's with lt's, xpipe and high flow cats sounds GREAT!!
Old 12-24-2004, 05:37 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Dave1 has some excellent advice! The best system to one person can be undesireable to you! Ride in a few cars and if you like the sound, COPY IT EXACTLY!

I have a complete Stainless Works system and love it! LT SS headers, 3" mid section, Random Tech CATS and 3" stainless works mufflers.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To help me choose exhaust for c5

Old 12-24-2004, 06:48 PM
1FUNVTT
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My quick thoughts on this matter: Ask 50 corvette owners about their aftermarket exhaust system.... and you're going to get 70 different thoughts & opinions.

My best advise: Find your local NICE vette owners (with the different exhaust system) and ask to hear their ride. Or go to a corvette event AND go listen to the exhaust sound from both the inside & outside of the car. Let your own ears be the judge.

Now, as for myself... I've bought the Borla Stingers - 4 quad. Sold the Borla - Loved the sound at idle, hated the interior RESONANCE at cruisen speed.

So.... I looked & found a (very) NICE vette owner (locally) with the Corsa. Heard them from both the inside and out; from idle to WOT. Now... I have the Corsa Touring and am very happy with them. The Touring sounds deeper at idle, than the Indy. But still have the great muscle sound at WOT. Plus at cruising, you're still able to hold & hear a conversation with your passenger at a normal volume. Also, I've planned on installing headers; so I think the Corsa Touring will work well with that combo.

Good luck deciding and happy motoring.
Old 12-24-2004, 07:33 PM
dkdonkim
Burning Brakes

i feel your pain....i had same dilemma....i went with borla since it just sounds owesome....thought about corsa, but it was not my taste....borla has some serious resonance, i got longtube headers, but somehow, i am used to it....a lot of people like ghl as well since it has the best fit & finish....overall, i recommend borla if you can stand resonance....
Old 12-25-2004, 10:12 AM
buddha
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bassani, bassani, bassani

I've had Ferrari owners pull up after getting spanked and tell me how awesome my exhaust sounds at full honk. More than once. Imho it's the perfect combination of a relatively quite idle, no resonance at any cruising rpm and a wot exhaust tone to die for. Plus those nice big oval tips are just better looking than just about anything else out there. I wouldn't trade my Bassani for any other system I've seen or heard so far.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: help me choose exhaust for c5