C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N vs Fram Air Hog?? Which one.?

Old 12-30-2004, 10:35 AM
Rizzo1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default K&N vs Fram Air Hog?? Which one.?

I'm going to get one of these and was wondering which one is better? Anybody had any expierience with the Air Hog. The air Hog is slightly cheaper ( $7.00) so not a big deal either way. Can you use the K&N filter oil on the Air hog? I have a huge can of the stuff as I use the KN's in my bike.

Thanks.

Rizzo
Old 12-30-2004, 11:02 AM
TopCat
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From their FAQ on their web site:

"Can I use another brand of cleaner and oil? We recommend the use of the AirHog™ cleaning products only. These products have been specifically formulated and tested to provide the best performance on our products. Use of other manufacturers' products may degrade or limit the performance of your AirHog™ filter."

You might want to check out the air filter test info located on the oil test website: www.bobistheoilguy.com
Old 12-30-2004, 11:17 AM
Lemans Blue
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought a K/N filter for mine, I installed it then removed it because the clamps came loose, it turns out that you have to put in a cheap foam gasket as a space filler to get the clamps to work correctly, looks like K/N took the cheap way out and use an exitsing filter and added a foam gasket instead of designing the filter correctly to fit the C5. So save your money on the K/N its a turd!! If you try the other one please post how it fit. If the Air Hog is a cotton filter the K/N oil can be used.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:59 PM
kg54trains
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Air Hog .....fit

I have the air hog air filter but you must get the supplemental filter box that is free from fram. The oem box will not hold a air hog and fram did not include it at the introduction of this line. I called fram and they shipped a box that will hold the filter when you slide the piece into the air intake. This box from fram creates a perfect fit and both latches will be tight.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:41 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I examined the Fram air hog filter and it looks like it is much better quality than the K&N! I would get the Fram Air Hog over K&N!

BE CAREFUL!!!! I had to open 3 Fram Air Hog boxes before I found a box that contained the REAL Air Hog filter Seems like some A$$ holes are swapping out the air hogs for the regular Fram filters and purchasing the Air Hogs for $7.00. !!! I talked to the store manager at Pepboys and he said that has been a REAL headache!! The counter people are suppose to check the boxes before they ring them up!

It would be BAD News if you got home and there was a regular filter in the Air Hog Box!!!!!
Old 12-30-2004, 03:17 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I stuck with the regular paper filters. There is some evidence (oil analysis) that the cotton filters do NOT filter as well as the paper. Also several people have shown no gains on Dyno. Third point, Chevy have issued a warning, they will NOT replace the Airflow sensor IF you have an oiled cotton filter (they say excess oil causes them to malfunction).

Just figured you should know all the facts.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:33 PM
TopCat
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldvetter
I stuck with the regular paper filters. There is some evidence (oil analysis) that the cotton filters do NOT filter as well as the paper. Also several people have shown no gains on Dyno. Third point, Chevy have issued a warning, they will NOT replace the Airflow sensor IF you have an oiled cotton filter (they say excess oil causes them to malfunction).

Just figured you should know all the facts.

The added grit sucked into the engine and the associated wear and tear isn't worth the small (if any) gain in performance (note the test I mentioned above). I use a Blackwing and hope the proprietary filter material used by Donaldson is near as good as paper. The proven gains are worth the extra crud, especially since I change the oil frequently.

Old 12-30-2004, 04:55 PM
OOBlackconvert
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used K&N type for years and have allways had great luck. I allways put the paper filter back in while I service the K&N style. You really have to be careful not to over oil them. I use the aerosol oil and it sprays a more even lighter coat of oil. I reccomend you let the oil soak in over night with the filter sitting on newspaper or papertowls.

I put an Air Hog in the wifes Yukon a few weeks ago. The Air Hog quality does appear to be better that the K&N filters I have used. I heard through the grapevein they are made by a company called S&B. The cool thing is you can buy the filters and cleaning kits @ Wal-Mart.

Get notified of new replies

To K&N vs Fram Air Hog?? Which one.?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: K&N vs Fram Air Hog?? Which one.?