C5 Vendor for Sale Exclusive forum for vendors to list C5 products, services and promotions.

Interest in urethane front lip

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 12:38 PM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
To be blunt we need orders. If we make it we need to cover our costs, which on a urethane bumper will be a lot. Just throwing these numbers out there, but a mold for a bumper can cost me $5-6k if not more. If we price the bumpers at $599 we need to sell 20-30 just to break even. We experienced this with the diffuser. EVERYONE wanted one and waited forever for one to be made. We got it built and we barely covered our cost on them. Sales have been disappointing to say the least. I know that's the way it works so I'm not stressing out, but I won't keep building stuff for the C5 if people simply aren't interested anymore.
I appreciate you being blunt and totally honest with us. But allow me to be a little blunt as well. The reason you aren't seeing the sales of the diffuser you hoped (in my opinion) are two fold. First you really lost momentum with how long the process took from start to finish. I completely understand the vast majority of it was not your fault, but that still doesn't change that it happened.

Second is cost. These pieces are simply too expensive. Not compared to other companies but in general. Your cheapest side skirts for C5s comes to $440 shipped to my house. Quite honestly, that's a great price compared to others. But the problem is we now live in a world where DIY is much easier. Everyone on this forum could make a set of side skirts with some average home tools and a weekend's worth of time for $20-$50. Combine that with the ebay front splitter for $90 and I could have both a splitter and side skirts for less than $150 and a weekends worth of work. As much as I'd like to buy your far superior product, I can't justify the price difference for my application. Especially when they will look virtually identical when done correctly.

Please don't take this as criticism or bashing you. From what I've seen, you've done more for the C5 community over the last couple of years than any other company. And I am grateful for people like you continuing support for an aging car. It's all in business strategy. As the C5 gets older and more affordable, more people with less disposable income are buying them and modifying them. You say you need to sell 20-30 to break even. But you're at a price that won't result in an "impulse buy." Cut your price by a third and sales will obviously increase. Will they go to 60-90? Don't know. But I'm sure there is a sweet spot out there.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:52 PM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by tdogg21
I appreciate you being blunt and totally honest with us. But allow me to be a little blunt as well. The reason you aren't seeing the sales of the diffuser you hoped (in my opinion) are two fold. First you really lost momentum with how long the process took from start to finish. I completely understand the vast majority of it was not your fault, but that still doesn't change that it happened.

Second is cost. These pieces are simply too expensive. Not compared to other companies but in general. Your cheapest side skirts for C5s comes to $440 shipped to my house. Quite honestly, that's a great price compared to others. But the problem is we now live in a world where DIY is much easier. Everyone on this forum could make a set of side skirts with some average home tools and a weekend's worth of time for $20-$50. Combine that with the ebay front splitter for $90 and I could have both a splitter and side skirts for less than $150 and a weekends worth of work. As much as I'd like to buy your far superior product, I can't justify the price difference for my application. Especially when they will look virtually identical when done correctly.

Please don't take this as criticism or bashing you. From what I've seen, you've done more for the C5 community over the last couple of years than any other company. And I am grateful for people like you continuing support for an aging car. It's all in business strategy. As the C5 gets older and more affordable, more people with less disposable income are buying them and modifying them. You say you need to sell 20-30 to break even. But you're at a price that won't result in an "impulse buy." Cut your price by a third and sales will obviously increase. Will they go to 60-90? Don't know. But I'm sure there is a sweet spot out there.
Well I did the $90.00 splitter but I don't know about do it yourself sideskirts for 20-50$

but like my mechanic buddy says

"It's not cheap to be cool "

Pete's CF Diffuser was worth the wait

These skirts were molded fiberglass I got for $300.00

Last edited by StrangelovesM6Vert; 02-16-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:46 PM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by StrangelovesM6Vert
Well I did the $90.00 splitter but I don't know about do it yourself sideskirts for 20-50$

but like my mechanic buddy says

"It's not cheap to be cool "

Pete's CF Diffuser was worth the wait

These skirts were molded fiberglass I got for $300.00

The cheap side skirts involve using something like "fake" wood decking for somewhere like Lowe's or Home Depot. When done and finished correctly, the weight is comparable and the look is virtually identical. I'm not going to sit here and debate if fiberglass or urethane wouldn't be better. I truly don't know. But I don't track my car. I'd like to, but being a vert, I don't want to go to the trouble of adding a roll bar for the handful of times I would actually be on a track.

Someone posted blueprints a while back and I've actually talked to two people with purpose built track cars that use them. The two guys I talked to said they did it simply for cost. They were going through a couple of splitters and at least a set of side skirts each year. Instead of a grand for replacements they each made all the parts for about $100. Making a spiltter from scratch might be a bit above my shop skills, but the side skirts are easy. I get this isn't for everyone and I'd love to be able to drop thousands on pre-made parts, but unfortunately I can't right now. Are they better? I have no clue. But for less than 10% of the price, having a part that looks identical is a win in my book.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:38 PM
up nprth al
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
^ Trust me, it's not a dead horse, it's still kicking! I actually just text manufacturing today to get me the mold costs etc so we can see about moving forward. Been a slow process, some on them and some on me but I have not forgot.

I still get my free pair of fenders right Pete
Old 02-18-2017, 01:57 AM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 278 Posts

the rear diffuser is actually really nice
Old 02-18-2017, 11:56 AM
skydiven4fun
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I don't know about the built at home stuff compared to what Pete offers, I'm sure there are a few very talented folks out there that could build just about anything but it takes time, and to be honest my time is the more valuable to me than the low cost (compared to others) of his products.
I'd like to see what this new front lip would look like, something that can take more abuse without being cracked or broken would work great for a street car IMO

Last edited by skydiven4fun; 02-18-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:34 PM
utryd2
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id buy the urethane extreme rear fascia if made.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:04 PM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

In for pics, skeptical of material. What's wrong with CF or Duraflex?
Old 03-13-2017, 09:09 AM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
In for pics, skeptical of material. What's wrong with CF or Duraflex?
Fragile fiberglass breaks on impact while urethane gives and bends
with only scratches.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:55 PM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by StrangelovesM6Vert
Fragile fiberglass breaks on impact while urethane gives and bends
with only scratches.
What about duraflex?
Old 03-14-2017, 02:44 AM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
What about duraflex?

Having used their stuff

Duraflex is just regular hard fiberglass.

The name is only marketing.

If you hit something it will break.

Last edited by StrangelovesM6Vert; 03-14-2017 at 02:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Interest in urethane front lip