[Z06] tire strength after 2 patches

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 09:49 AM
magneto10
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default tire strength after 2 patches

My passenger front tire has met with another nail, the second one in a year. The goodyear dealer says he can patch it (it is straight through the tread, sidewalls are ok) The tires have 10000 miles on them- should I just have him replace the tire (or both fronts)?

Thanks

Oh yeah, the nail hole is straight in 90degrees perpendicular to the tread surface, not at an angle if it makes a difference, the patches will be done on the inside surface.

Last edited by magneto10; 03-31-2005 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:05 AM
barondw
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Patch should be done on the inside not through the tread. If the two patches are not near each other I would think it is fine. If they are close to each other I would replace the tire.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:06 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by magneto10
The tires have 10000 miles on them- should I just have him replace the tire (or both fronts)?
Same thing happened to me on the left rear. I got two nails in the same tire. I used the opportunity to pick up a spare wheel, put the new tire and wheel on the car, and kept the repaired tire/wheel as a spare. I still cannot carry the tire in the car, but if I have a problem in town, at least I can put the spare on so there is not such a rush to get the flat fixed. I drive the Z06 to work every day, so it can be a semi-crisis if I have a flat with no place to get it repaired for a day or two.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:38 PM
CYA-Vett
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 4, yes 4 patches in my left rear bald Drag Radial, I live in a new development and it seems that construction workers do not like to clean up. Anyway, 4 patches and trap speeds over 120 for me....Your fine.
Oh yeah, I have one in the right front too.
Dave
Old 03-31-2005, 05:17 PM
REDLYNER
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Each patch or plug degrades your tire rating by one. 1 patch makes a Z rated a y. "Three patches makes the tire unfit to drive." According to my tire shop anyway.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:47 PM
Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 407 Likes on 140 Posts

If the patch is done properly from the inside, tread only, balances nicely, etc, etc.......well.....I've made some serious top-end charges with 2 two-holers and 1 one-holer....all on the same car at the same time, with no problems at 168 mph. So I guess I had "T" rated tires, huh!

I guess I wouldn't sweat it in the least, especially if you don't make top-end charges.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:50 PM
don527
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by REDLYNER
Each patch or plug degrades your tire rating by one. 1 patch makes a Z rated a y. "Three patches makes the tire unfit to drive." According to my tire shop anyway.
wrong. The rule on speed ratings with the goodyears is that one patch and the speed rating stays the same. One speed rating lower on the next patch and so on.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:10 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by REDLYNER
This is another reason I went ahead and replaced my tire after the second patch. The Discount Tire store I do business with says they are not allowed to patch a tire more than 2 times. I knew that unless I wanted to go somewhere else, if I got another flat, I would have to replace it anyway, so I just made a spare out of it.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:58 PM
HalM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

10000 miles doesn't tell us much really...how much wear is left? Is the treadwear even? If the tires are already shot then by all means pick up a couple new ones...

Get notified of new replies

To tire strength after 2 patches

Quick Reply: [Z06] tire strength after 2 patches