Sponsored by:

[Z06] Why no hatch???

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 11:05 AM
MARDAG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why no hatch???

My vette is my daily driver. I want to upgrade to a C5, and of course I'd love to make it a Z, depending on price. My only beef is that I'd lose a good 5-10 cubic feet of storage space in the hatch area, and even what I'd have would be less usable because of the awkward shape.

It seems like the Z's shape has all the disadvantages of a vert, with none of the advantages of top-down cruisin'. Why did chevy do this to the C5 Z? Aerodynamics?? Style??? Obviously they reconsidered with the C6 Z...
Old 08-15-2005, 11:26 AM
Irv
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Roots in '99 hardtop

Various articles say Chevy planned a low-cost version of the C5, which was supposed to be the hardtop model of 99-00. Marginally lighter weight, substantially better stiffness (in the examples I've been in), and probably lower production cost. Aerodynamics are marginally worse for the Z. 99-00 hardtops were a sales bust and the low-cost marketing/sales motion was never executed, so the articles say the hardtop platform was hijacked for the Z06. Turn lemons into lemonade, so I read. Some people like the hardtop look, some hate it. I like the stiffness and a real trunk, especially if you add a partition. (Highly recommended.) For those of us in warmer climates the lesser glass area is also a plus.

For the C6 Z06 I think they did make a better decision, what with the coupe styling but a fixed roof, but now some people are complaining that there's too little differentiation. I say forget the nits and drive.
The following users liked this post:
abflyboy (08-03-2019)
Old 08-15-2005, 12:42 PM
Charles7Mitchell
Pro

Originally Posted by MARDAG
My vette is my daily driver. I want to upgrade to a C5, and of course I'd love to make it a Z, depending on price. My only beef is that I'd lose a good 5-10 cubic feet of storage space in the hatch area, and even what I'd have would be less usable because of the awkward shape.

It seems like the Z's shape has all the disadvantages of a vert, with none of the advantages of top-down cruisin'. Why did chevy do this to the C5 Z? Aerodynamics?? Style??? Obviously they reconsidered with the C6 Z...
I purchased a Z 06 after owning a C4 ten years. Only occasionally do I not have the space that the C4 provided. An advantage with the Z in comparison to other C5s is that the partition limits the space that something can roll around in. With the C4 I'd occasionally have to open the trunk to reach something that rolled to the back.
You can't have everything and I very much enjoy the 400+ hp. So for me it was a choice of a C5 Z or the C6 and I don't appreciate the styling of the C6. Good luck.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:44 PM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

My only beef is that I'd lose a good 5-10 cubic feet of storage space in the hatch area, and even what I'd have would be less usable because of the awkward shape.
Unless you are going to carry pillows, the space you would be missing is useless space anyway.

Last edited by Shylor; 08-15-2005 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:46 PM
StingerZ16
Racer

I have always liked the styling of the fixed roof. Even on the C3s (pre 78). So, I may be a bit biased.

The rear storage space is really quite accommodating.
Do not compare it with a vert. You are not storing the top so you have a lot more space.
Yes you do lose a bit more then a coupe, But I would never pile things up to the window on a coupe anyhow. (it blocks the view of the LEOs behind you)
Old 08-15-2005, 03:07 PM
e-hodges
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06-'09

the Z06 was built on a coupe to cut weight, period

I traded a c4 in on my Z, I actually prefer the little trunk lid over a hatch. Granted my C4's hatch area was filled with a twin sub box that was flush with the well so I actually have gained space.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:24 PM
JWB ZO6
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

I drive my ZO6 as a DD it is not the best for trips to the market but will fit 2 sets of golf clubs. If I need more space I guess I will have to consider getting a mini van.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:54 PM
Airwolf
Pro

Location: ********************* Florida's Space Coast *********************

I'm a Big fan of the FRC, much more then the hatch, in both looks and function. The storage room seems fine to me and I like the way a partition makes it feel like a REAL trunk.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:15 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Irv
Various articles say Chevy planned a low-cost version of the C5, which was supposed to be the hardtop model of 99-00. Marginally lighter weight, substantially better stiffness (in the examples I've been in), and probably lower production cost. Aerodynamics are marginally worse for the Z. 99-00 hardtops were a sales bust and the low-cost marketing/sales motion was never executed, so the articles say the hardtop platform was hijacked for the Z06. Turn lemons into lemonade, so I read. Some people like the hardtop look, some hate it. I like the stiffness and a real trunk, especially if you add a partition. (Highly recommended.) For those of us in warmer climates the lesser glass area is also a plus.

For the C6 Z06 I think they did make a better decision, what with the coupe styling but a fixed roof, but now some people are complaining that there's too little differentiation. I say forget the nits and drive.

This is in the FAQ section, but the stiffness of the body is not due to the glued on roof, but the addition of the vert frame bracing to the coupe frame. The body style was designed to be less expensive, but as pointed out above it was less enough so the 99-00 FRC was a bust.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:57 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

not losing much space at all, plus the look is way better and plus
hatches really suck
Old 08-16-2005, 02:14 AM
2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Drifting

I agree. I love my hard top
Old 08-16-2005, 01:10 PM
SilkSox
Heel & Toe

Default Hatchbacks on a Vette?

My 84' Coupe has a Hatchback which sucks! The little shocks weeze as you raise the trunk & Everytime I open that hatchback i think of fellow Riceburners & Minivans...A Z06 is a 2-seater Sporty built for speed..who's worried about hauling stuff? I'm worried about keeping it empty 'cept for mebbe a man now & then Am I crazy?
The only Hatch i ever liked on a Vette was the 63' Split Window Coupe.
So..I concur with Shylor..its useful for pillows only.

Wanna Hatchback..Get a FamilyMOBILE. Um..Can you see my tail lights yet?

Me Bad Silksox
Old 08-16-2005, 01:19 PM
Z06VET
Racer

I have a big sub in the well , and my Z06 still has room for 2 sets of golf clubs and 2 small travel bags . Pretty good room for a sports car of this calibre.

Dan
Old 09-07-2010, 03:54 PM
Jamo11
Advanced

A glued on piece of plastic? Is that really true? It's just glued on? How is the hatchback appended?
Old 09-07-2010, 08:13 PM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

By the Z for it's performance. If you want storage buy a minivan.

BTW I had a crowd of guys at Carlisle with regular C5s standing around watching me pull my 5 lawn chairs, Husky tool bag, cooler, and aluminum racing jack out of the trunk. Can't imagine what else I'd need to carry.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:11 PM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
CI-X Auto-X Champ (race tires)
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

That's what they make soft luggage for

On a weekend autocross, I was able to put 2 bag chairs, 3 bags, two helmets, 3 pairs of shoes, 1 milk crate of various stuff 1 tool box, and a soft case full of detailing gear.

if you plan ahead and be creative both in packaging and placement, you can fit a ton. I too wouldn't be putting anything high enough in a car that I can't see out the window, so for me I'd not be losing too much space.

I am not a fan of the targa either so it was even better for me getting the Z.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:33 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Weight!!!
Old 09-08-2010, 09:10 AM
danziger
Team Owner

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

I like both the style and the trunk. Hatches just don't provide the same integrity...

Get notified of new replies

To Why no hatch???

Quick Reply: [Z06] Why no hatch???