Sponsored by:

New battery installed by dealer

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 11:15 PM
DodgeCity
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New battery installed by dealer

Well I finally got the dreaded C-5 electrical nightmares. Started getting low voltage/reduced engine power/service traction etc. So I took it in last week to the Chevrolet dealer I bought it from and had them look at it. They checked it out and said "you need a new battery" so I said "do it". Well it's been 2 days since then and after work tonight I thought I'd check it out and see if it was really fixed. Ha, no such luck! Got low voltage/reduced engine power message again. I turn key to off pull it out and wait until all dash lights go out then try it again. It works perfectly. I try it again after waiting, and it does it again, and again, then cycle it again everything good! Going to call dealer in AM but this is really buggin' me so I thought I'd see if anyone can give me a little insight into what it might be. Didn't even bother with codes this time, to PO to bother. Thanks
Old 05-17-2014, 01:17 AM
ljthe2nd
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DodgeCity
Well I finally got the dreaded C-5 electrical nightmares. Started getting low voltage/reduced engine power/service traction etc. So I took it in last week to the Chevrolet dealer I bought it from and had them look at it. They checked it out and said "you need a new battery" so I said "do it". Well it's been 2 days since then and after work tonight I thought I'd check it out and see if it was really fixed. Ha, no such luck! Got low voltage/reduced engine power message again. I turn key to off pull it out and wait until all dash lights go out then try it again. It works perfectly. I try it again after waiting, and it does it again, and again, then cycle it again everything good! Going to call dealer in AM but this is really buggin' me so I thought I'd see if anyone can give me a little insight into what it might be. Didn't even bother with codes this time, to PO to bother. Thanks

That one reason why I wont take my car to a dealer anymore. When it comes to a Corvette they seem to be more incompetent than they are with other cars.

You might have a ground problem.

I suggest you find a good mechanic familiar with Corvettes in your area other than a dealer. If you don't know any other Vette drivers in your area go to the Upcoming Events and Regional Discussion section of this forum and ask if anyone could suggest a good place in your area to take your car.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:24 AM
zagger
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might have a ground problem.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:38 AM
chuckeb84
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DodgeCity
I would drive it for 30min or so and see if the codes reset
Old 05-17-2014, 07:14 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

You need to measure battery voltage at the battery to see if you have a drain. It should read 12.5 or higher with the ignition OFF.

How many miles on the car and have you ever replaced the ignition switch? Not the mechanical cylinder but the electrical portion.

The ignition switch has a reputation for burning contacts and that produces reduced voltages into the circuits and can cause the type of issues you are seeing.

If you know how to use a voltmeter there are some diagnostics to see what voltages you have before and after the switch.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:12 PM
DodgeCity
Navigator

Thanks for the info. I had already checked grounds before taking it to the dealer. I took the battery out and have it on the charger right now. Ignition switch might be the problem. I'll take it in to Highline Auto Electric tomorrow and see if they might be able to help. Will give an update if and when I figure this out. It might help someone else that comes across the same problem.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:14 PM
DodgeCity
Navigator

Oooops forgot to add that it's a 2000 coupe with just over 60000 miles

Get notified of new replies

To New battery installed by dealer

Quick Reply: New battery installed by dealer