Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Dumb question: Do old tires get hard?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 12:04 AM
HenryIV
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dumb question: Do old tires get hard?

Hey guys,

Its been about 5 years since I have posted here, but my love for my 2001 Z06 has recently been re-awakened. I had hardly driven the car for the last 2 years, due to the birth of my first child. I checked recently and had only put 287 miles on it from may '05 to may '06. I only have about 8500 miles on it total, and I am the first owner. Of course it has been garage kept.
I recently realized I was nuts to have such a nice car (long since payed off) and never drive it, so I am back in the saddle.
My car is bone stock except for a blackwing.
I really got down on it in 2ed gear for the first time in about 4 years and the rear end started to break lose at about 5500 rpm, causing the traction control to kick in and cut the power. What a bummer, just when the car really starts making lots of horses BOOM no more gas to the engine for a split sec, what a buzz kill. Of course I know I can turn off traction control, but I never had this problem 4-5 years ago. The rears used to just bite in and put the power to the ground all the way to the red line even with traction control on.
I don't think my Z06 magically gained 75 rwhp sitting in the garage, so my working theory is the now almost 6 year old stock goodyears have lost a lot of stickyness and are now too hard, even though they have very littly tread wear or use. What do you guys think? Should I just burn this set up, and get some new ones? I think I am gonna have some fun wearing this set out if it's the consensus belief this set is played out due to age.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:08 AM
gasboy
Racer

that's exactly what happens.there are some laws coming that will prevent old tires from being sold.i think i read six years was going to be the limit.find a racer buddy with a durometer and compare your tires with a new set.you will be surprised.having said all that, i would use 'em up.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:41 AM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

tires do dry out over time
Old 05-19-2006, 08:33 AM
HenryIV
Intermediate

Thanks for the input guys. Looks like its time to drive it like I stole it.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:42 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I've had tire shops I trust tell me they wouldn't install tires over 3 years old no matter how they were stored for a high perf car. 5 years mounted on the car, get rid of them!
Old 05-19-2006, 12:44 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by gasboy
that's exactly what happens.there are some laws coming that will prevent old tires from being sold.i think i read six years was going to be the limit.find a racer buddy with a durometer and compare your tires with a new set.you will be surprised.having said all that, i would use 'em up.
Tire manufactures now recomend replacing tires every 7 years no matter how much or how little tread remians. This is for the averager passanger, light truck and SUV.

Performane tires are history after 2 years. all the rubber softeing chemicals have long since leached out of the tire. Tread is only to move water out from under the tire, not grip or performance.

For normal street driving you would be fine, but 'getting it on' wont give you much traction if any at with tires 4, 3 or 2 even years old.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:33 PM
ZO6vettepilot
Pro

Tires, unlike old guys, do get hard with age.
... and no there is no little blue pill to make them soft again...
Old 05-19-2006, 06:18 PM
Bret01Z06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ZO6vettepilot
Tires, unlike old guys, do get hard with age.
... and no there is no little blue pill to make them soft again...
hahahaha
Old 05-19-2006, 06:37 PM
jlakowicz
Heel & Toe

Default Yes, also with temperature

Yes the tires get hard and lose traction. This happened to me after road racing for a while. All of a sudden I couldn't keep traction in corners. The temperature was heat cycled a number of times from several track days. There was tread but no traciton.

Get notified of new replies

To Dumb question: Do old tires get hard?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Dumb question: Do old tires get hard?