Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Zip Tie Mod, is it Safe in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 08:47 PM
Kamil
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zip Tie Mod, is it Safe in the rain?

Hey guys just have a quick question. Is the zip tie mod safe in the rain? I have a K&N Filter and did the zip tie mod, now when it starts raining Im scared that I'm gona get water into my intake and later motor. Is it safe? and shold I stay worried? Or could I keep driving in the rain?Same with washing my car of course.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:19 PM
Steve Theodore
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it gets hit by direct water, it's clearly not safe. I'd play it safe if I were you.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:08 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Seal your hood in the front. Instead of the fancy $20 aftermarket "special" seal. Just get some Frost King 3/4in seal (typically used for setting camper tops on pick up truck beds). Run the strip the length of the panel where the hood comes down in the nose. Now if it rains or you wash your car you don't have water just rolling in that crack. It will land right on the filter with the zip tie mod without it.

After the hood is sealed you would be hard pressed to ingest water.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:06 AM
Outsider
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vms4evr
Seal your hood in the front. Instead of the fancy $20 aftermarket "special" seal. Just get some Frost King 3/4in seal (typically used for setting camper tops on pick up truck beds). Run the strip the length of the panel where the hood comes down in the nose. Now if it rains or you wash your car you don't have water just rolling in that crack. It will land right on the filter with the zip tie mod without it.

After the hood is sealed you would be hard pressed to ingest water.
I am actually going to do the hood seal in the next few days. I wont worry about it after that.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:39 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kamil
Hey guys just have a quick question. Is the zip tie mod safe in the rain? I have a K&N Filter and did the zip tie mod, now when it starts raining Im scared that I'm gona get water into my intake and later motor. Is it safe? and shold I stay worried? Or could I keep driving in the rain?Same with washing my car of course.
I drove my car thru the worst rain you can imagine on power tour 05, philly to Tenn to florida then back to philly, alot of wich was bad rain and didnt have any problems, and no hood seal
Old 09-14-2006, 04:03 PM
Kamil
Burning Brakes

thnx for all the help just for saftey I will do the seal I guess u cant go wrong with being extra careful.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:47 PM
Subw00er
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Also this may be obvious, but dont open your hood when its wet, all of the water willl directly hit the filter.

About the hood seal, you can get it really cheap at Mcmaster carr. They sell a triangle shaped seal with adhesive on one edge and one edge is rounded. I use it and it seals perfectly.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:16 PM
Steve Theodore
Melting Slicks

Thanks for that feedback also...great peace of mind to hear stuff like that.

Originally Posted by PA Z06
I drove my car thru the worst rain you can imagine on power tour 05, philly to Tenn to florida then back to philly, alot of wich was bad rain and didnt have any problems, and no hood seal

Get notified of new replies

To Zip Tie Mod, is it Safe in the rain?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Zip Tie Mod, is it Safe in the rain?