Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Can't fit with Helmet on in 03' Z06. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 06:24 PM
Scuba Driver
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't fit with Helmet on in 03' Z06. Help?

I am planning to buy a 03' Z06, but went to test drive it today and took my helmet with me to test the fit. I did not have enough head room w/helment on (and I played with the seat position for a LONG time). I fit fine w/o helmet, but I am getting this car for street&track use so a helmet is a must. I am 6'1" and 270lbs, so from reading other posts, I am by far not the tallest or biggest guy driving this car.

Let me put down what I have found and please let me know your thoughts on how much these mods will help, and if you've done it confirm it did yield the projected height improvement Please post any other solutions that would give me hope that I could make this work! I've read a lot of posts which discuss this topic, but do not show what people actually DID to resolve the problem. (i.e. no pics or DIY pics/instructions, or confirmation they got the intended result)

Things I found to try:
- Take 1 or 2 springs off of the OEM seat bottoms to let me sink into seat a bit further. (maybe get 1/2 inch).

- I could replace the 03' headliner with the 01' version. (~1 inch saving)

- Remove a bit of foam from seat (trade off of comfort vs. drop)

- After market seat (don't know which one, but ideas would be appreciated), bolted to fixed rail. This would be a problem since my wife could not adjust the seat if I do this which would likely kill my opportunity to get the car.

I would really need to have a minimum 2" of additional clearance to be sure I could comfortably fit in car with my helmet on (2.5 would be better). The problem on the 03' seems worse than in a friends 02' Z06, because the 03' has a ridge sticking down if you lean the seat back you don't really get relief because the roof has a step down to reduce the head room just in front of the glass. this is a bummer!

Open to ideas, I know someone on this forum must have already overcome this problem. I hope to close the deal on this car, but this is a show stopper at the moment.

Kind Regards,
Jeff
Old 03-18-2007, 06:33 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

Is your height in your legs or your torso? I'm over 6'1" and I fit with my full face motorcycle helmet.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:41 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Did you buy your helmet from a Roman soldier? At 6'1" you should fit fine.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:45 PM
electronbluec5
Racer

I had the exact same problem but I am even taller, 6'5" at 260lbs, so my hair touched the headliner where it came down in the back. My first action was to replace the seats. I bought Corbeau Forza II seats in black for both pass. and driver mounted on Corbeau Slider seat brackets. That netted about an inch of head room. The next thing I did was replace the headliner with the 99-02 FRC/Z06 headliner. This was a simple mod after you get the mirrors out. That netted another inch or so as well. I still needed a bit more room so when I get to the track I take out the bottom seat cushion from the seat. The cushion has Velcro on the bottom to hold it to the seat. That got me another inch. After all is said and done I have plenty of head room with a full face Auto Racing helmet. If you are interested in the seat setup I have some pics. I think you might be able to get the room you need just by replacing the headliner and it is by far the cheapest way to obtain the room you need. I bought mine at a local dealership for about $125. I got a special deal but you can get it a little cheaper than that if you buy from Gene Cutty.

Hope that helps

Last edited by electronbluec5; 03-18-2007 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:45 PM
TransAmGT
Pro

I have the same problem...i'm 6'2" 200...your best bet is buy an '01-'02 headliner and call it a day. No sense in tearing up your seat.

Another option is to take the stock headliner apart and remove the plastic block under the headliner that is causing you to hit your head. Aand then glue the headliner back.

Good luck
Old 03-18-2007, 07:02 PM
titletaker
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Last C5
lol
Old 03-18-2007, 07:03 PM
electronbluec5
Racer

Originally Posted by TransAmGT
I have the same problem...i'm 6'2" 200...your best bet is buy an '01-'02 headliner and call it a day. No sense in tearing up your seat.

Another option is to take the stock headliner apart and remove the plastic block under the headliner that is causing you to hit your head. And then glue the headliner back.

Good luck
I'm not sure you can take the stock headliner apart like that and make it look right. The plastic pieces will come out very easily but the headliner is still formed in the shape you see when installed in the car. It is a fairly rigid material that I don't think you could reform.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:26 PM
Z28TOZO6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

leonitas was just on craiglist
Old 03-18-2007, 09:12 PM
RAMMAN
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

German ones are a tight fit also!
Old 03-18-2007, 09:29 PM
KyleBst264
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am 5.10.' I use a Simpson open face hemet. I have to adjust the seat a little bit. I pull the seat forward and recline it almost all the way and I have headroom to spare. Is your helmet just barely touching the ceiling or do you have to drive with your head on an angle?
I'm not sure here, but if your helmet is just barely touching, the solution could be in the brand of helmet used. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:00 PM
TransAmGT
Pro

Originally Posted by electronbluec5
I'm not sure you can take the stock headliner apart like that and make it look right. The plastic pieces will come out very easily but the headliner is still formed in the shape you see when installed in the car. It is a fairly rigid material that I don't think you could reform.

A track buddy of mine did it to his 03 Z.....looks fine...i think he had a upholstry shop do it.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:22 PM
Scuba Driver
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks all for the input.

I now know that all I have to do is get rid of my Roman and German helmets and I should be fine. j/k That was pretty funny.

My height is in my torso (and butt apparently), so that drives my headroom issue. For those that said "I fit so, you should also"....ahhh Thanks but if that were true, I wouldn't have posted asking for suggestions.

electronbluec5 - I'll PM you for pics, I would really appreciate it if I could see what you have done to resolve this issue. I think, if I go with the headliner I can make this work (if not I'll take additional actions).

I have a Bieffe auto racing helmet, so it shouldn't require any further room than any other particular model.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:22 PM
jtkeller
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '07

I'm a bit over 6' and don't have any problems fitting with my full face helmet on either. If I slide the seat back all of the way, then yes, my helmet will hit the headliner where it dips down. I don't race with the seat that far back though...
20003 Z by the way

Last edited by jtkeller; 03-19-2007 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:25 PM
astig00
Racer

I too am 6'1 but my Z is an 02. I fit fine with my full face helmet. I did upgrade to Caravaggio seats and sit closer to the floor of the car.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:04 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I'm 6'4" 250 and have no issues w/ my '01 Z w/ my g-force helmet... however riding in my father's '04 w/ the different headliner is annoying as my hair brushes on it.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:09 AM
ov666
Advanced

Default Head Room

I'm 6'4' I HAVE A 2004 Z06 First change the head linner to an 01 it will get you an 1" and get red of the hump behind you head. Second i brought a manual seat track a friend of mine cut it down and got another 2 1/2" of clearence. That way you keep the stock seat. GGOD LUCK
Old 03-19-2007, 11:16 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ I may have to do that... get a 2nd manual rack... then cut it down. On the Driver's side there's no bump in the floor like on the passenger side.

Get notified of new replies

To Can't fit with Helmet on in 03' Z06. Help?

Old 03-19-2007, 02:41 PM
TAC
Drifting

Originally Posted by luvmystook
Thanks all for the input.

I now know that all I have to do is get rid of my Roman and German helmets and I should be fine. j/k That was pretty funny.

My height is in my torso (and butt apparently), so that drives my headroom issue. For those that said "I fit so, you should also"....ahhh Thanks but if that were true, I wouldn't have posted asking for suggestions.

electronbluec5 - I'll PM you for pics, I would really appreciate it if I could see what you have done to resolve this issue. I think, if I go with the headliner I can make this work (if not I'll take additional actions).

I have a Bieffe auto racing helmet, so it shouldn't require any further room than any other particular model.
Where are you positioning the seat? You should have it scooted up as close to the steering wheel as it can be. At Spring Mountain they fit the seat forward enough so you can fit only a finger between your knee and the dashboard. It feels a little weird but makes for better driving. It also gives you more head room.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:16 PM
QUIK AG ZO6
Heel & Toe

I installed Sparco seats. Still have sliders so can adjust seat travel. The seat cushions are velcro fastened, so at the track I remove the cushions and sit on the fiberglass. For 20 minute session that is not an issue and as a result I have lots of headroom. Had some 5" thick cusions made for my wife, so we just swap out the cushions when she is driving. The Sparco seats have harness holes and side bolsters so much more restraint than in normal Z06 seats.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:42 PM
76REDVETTE
Pro

Solutiion, buy an 01 Z!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Can't fit with Helmet on in 03' Z06. Help?