[Z06] Clutch pedal woes—Who’s Solved Them

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 10:26 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Clutch pedal woes—Who’s Solved Them

Over the past six years I’ve helped hundreds of owners solve their clutch pedal woes by systematically keeping their clutch fluid clean and fresh. This Protocol for checking & changing the clutch fluid is subject of debate in a thread on the C5 Tech board.

Here is the challenged that was posted:

Originally Posted by Scoundrl
Has anyone besides Ranger had satisfaction with the clutch bleeding procedure he has outlined?
If you’re an owner who follows the clutch fluid change regime and believe it’s helped cure or prevent pedal woes, I’d appreciate your replying to that challenge on this thread: Black clutch fluid AGAIN?!? LS7 setup...

Thanks in advance,

Ranger

Last edited by Ranger; 05-19-2007 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:33 AM
mark896
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No prob, and thanks for the help again.

Mark
Old 05-19-2007, 10:51 AM
26myles
Advanced

Clutch fluid change absolutely works. I first raced my '01 Z06 last summer, after going through the traps my clutch pedal would stick to the floor as I slowed for return road. I read and followed Ranger's fluid change protocol and no more sticking. You must keep checking and changing and enjoying problem-free driving. Thanks to Ranger for all of his wisdom and help.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:06 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 26myles
Clutch fluid change absolutely works. I first raced my '01 Z06 last summer, after going through the traps my clutch pedal would stick to the floor as I slowed for return road. I read and followed Ranger's fluid change protocol and no more sticking. You must keep checking and changing and enjoying problem-free driving. Thanks to Ranger for all of his wisdom and help.
Hey Myles, Twould be good if you'd make that post on the challenge thread cited in my lead post.

Ranger
Old 05-19-2007, 11:49 AM
mark896
Pro

Hey Ranger, not to "start" anything, but I wouldn't get too caught up with a few stubborn opinions. Your methods as well as your reputation around here is tried and true. Please don't let this discourage you from helping others. Lord knows I/we appreciate it.

Mark
Old 05-19-2007, 01:59 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

After doing my H/C install, I read some Ranger' posts, and decided to do a little PM on my clutch fluid, though I'd never had any problems. I will continue to do the protocol even though my clutch stuck to the floor for the first time the other day. I had to hook my foot under the pedal and pull it up, which is not something I'm willing to live with. I've only done the fluid swap once, and it was pretty clean to begin with. The car's an '02, but only has 12k miles, and has never been drag raced. It stuck when I completed the idle relearn protocol, and decided to run through the gears. I only did two high RPM shifts (not power shifting) and the clutch was to the floor. I will do the swap a few times more, and see if this helps. If not, it looks like a new ($$ $$) clutch is in my future. I just know when I pull the stocker out, it'll show almost no wear, which pisses me off. I believe there's more to the story than JUST fluid condition. Either the hydraulic system is inadequate for the increase in power of a modded car, (or even some stock!) or the pressure plate is to blame. It would be nice to know the definative problem before throwing money at a possible solution.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:11 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by zeevette
After doing my H/C install, I read some Ranger' posts, and decided to do a little PM on my clutch fluid, though I'd never had any problems. I will continue to do the protocol even though my clutch stuck to the floor for the first time the other day. I had to hook my foot under the pedal and pull it up, which is not something I'm willing to live with. I've only done the fluid swap once, and it was pretty clean to begin with. The car's an '02, but only has 12k miles, and has never been drag raced. It stuck when I completed the idle relearn protocol, and decided to run through the gears. I only did two high RPM shifts (not power shifting) and the clutch was to the floor. I will do the swap a few times more, and see if this helps. If not, it looks like a new ($$ $$) clutch is in my future. I just know when I pull the stocker out, it'll show almost no wear, which pisses me off. I believe there's more to the story than JUST fluid condition. Either the hydraulic system is inadequate for the increase in power of a modded car, (or even some stock!) or the pressure plate is to blame. It would be nice to know the definative problem before throwing money at a possible solution.
Follow the protocol in post-1 and do about 10-15 changes of the reservoir with 20 pedal pushes in between changes. It sould solve your issue. Please report back.

Ranger
Old 05-19-2007, 03:52 PM
dwjz06
Dogface

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 120 Likes on 60 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15, '17

Done. Posted on the other thread. Don
Old 05-19-2007, 03:56 PM
stevedun
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Cruise-In 8-9-10-12 Veteran

Hey Ranger, I have changed my fluid three or four times. The fluid was very dirty when I bought it so I know I need several more changes even though it seems very clean right now. My question is, when I rev to 6000-6500 rpm my pedal will get very hard to push, then stay down. Is this the stuck pedal issue. Very hard to push before it sticks? One other quick question. Do you rev that high for best drag speeds or do you shift around 5200? Thanks! Not going to change my clutch as I don't drag or race. Just some spirited runs every now and then. I'm sticking with the fluid change to hopefully clear mine up. I don't rev it that high often enough to start experimenting with all new clutch parts, but would like to not have this problem with a car made for high performance. Thanks again!! Steve
Old 05-19-2007, 04:46 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks, dwjz06.

Originally Posted by stevedun
Hey Ranger, I have changed my fluid three or four times. The fluid was very dirty when I bought it so I know I need several more changes even though it seems very clean right now. My question is, when I rev to 6000-6500 rpm my pedal will get very hard to push, then stay down. Is this the stuck pedal issue. Very hard to push before it sticks?
Yes, your symptoms are classic pedal woes.

To solve them you need to get the fluid really clean. That takes repeated changes. I can clean up the worst clutch fluid imaginable in less than an hour...and have done so for others many times.

So persistence is recommended. You want the color after driving or pedal pumps to be almost exactly the same as fluid fresh from the can.

left uncured, clutch pedal woes lead to tranny issues. So getting the cure is important to the well-being of the car.

Some drivers never have pedal woes despite black gooey clutch fluid. They are lucky and have different driving habits than many of us.

Regarding shift points, for max acceleration you want shifts right before the limiter. I target clutch-in at 7K. I don't alway get them exact but that's the goal.

Ranger
Old 05-20-2007, 08:23 AM
FLATOUT
Temporary Hold

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I am going to have to repectfuly disagree with the Ranger man on this one.

I have been doing this for over a year and the car and pedal are NO were near being any better. I beleive this is an RPM related issue not a heat issue. I get the same sticky clutch in the first minute of driving or after the 4th hour of sustained driving.

Anyways I have flushed/bled/ and changed my fluid 3 times a week for a year and it does nothing for my Z.

I beleive there is something else causing this problem, and I beleive its RPM related. At WOT if I shift at 4,500 going through the gear it dosnt stick under WOT. When I shift at 5,000 its allittle worse, at 6,000 rpms shifts its starting to stick. When I shift at 6,500 its sticks.

Thanks,

Andy Wheeler
Old 05-20-2007, 08:41 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by FLATOUT
I am going to have to repectfuly disagree with the Ranger man on this one.

I have been doing this for over a year and the car and pedal are NO were near being any better. I beleive this is an RPM related issue not a heat issue. I get the same sticky clutch in the first minute of driving or after the 4th hour of sustained driving.

Anyways I have flushed/bled/ and changed my fluid 3 times a week for a year and it does nothing for my Z.

I beleive there is something else causing this problem, and I beleive its RPM related. At WOT if I shift at 4,500 going through the gear it dosnt stick under WOT. When I shift at 5,000 its allittle worse, at 6,000 rpms shifts its starting to stick. When I shift at 6,500 its sticks.

Thanks,

Andy Wheeler
I'd be happy to meet you some where in Laurel and take a look at your clutch.

Ranger
Old 05-20-2007, 09:03 AM
FLATOUT
Temporary Hold

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

John I just like you would love to find a fix for all of these problems. I know I have spoken with you many times at the track or car shows and I also know the lengths at witch I have gone to fluch and refill, as well as bleed this system.

I would also like to mention that I am NO ROOKIE to these cars, as I have probably been setting up and racing these cars for just as long as you have if not longer (since 1998). I know how to properly flush/bleed and refill these reseviors, and it is just not fixing my problem.

BTW if I have to change fluid 3 times a week for the rest of the life of these hydraulics, I dont consider that a fix.

Anyways John you know you are always welcome to swing by anytime you like and we can talk about it again. I have followed your procedure to a "T" and it has just not helped my car.

If you want we can meet up this next week.

Thanks buddy!

Andy Wheeler
Old 05-20-2007, 09:41 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^Flatout,

I had a stock 01 Z06. At about 60 passes the pedal began sticking to the floor. Chevy replaced all the clutch and related parts with another 01 clutch assembly. Within a short time, pedal issue recurred. That's when I got serious about dealing with the fluid, which cured the woes in that 01Z.

Here is what I'd propose for your car. I will come to your home and put the clutch fluid through the intense routine I use on my own car; would take about an hour and I'd furnish the supplies. Then we'd go for a drive and see if the pedal is any better.

May not work. As you probably know, but others may not, Chevy increased the clamping power of the 02 clutch.

If you like to do that, let me know when and where.

Ranger
Old 05-20-2007, 11:43 AM
RobG03Z06
Racer

St. Jude Donor '08

I never had the sticking clutch problem, but I decided to clean up the fluid after seeing this thread. I have a Textralia OZ700 clutch (put in about 4 months ago) due to some slight slippng with the OEM after the MTI stage IIe heads were installed.

This is the nasty black fluid taken out yesterday and replaced with Prestone synthetic DOT 4 brake fluid. I only did the procedure about 4 times to clean out the reservior. (pumping the clutch pedal 15 times)

Thanks to Ranger for reminding me to take better care of my clutch...
Old 05-20-2007, 11:49 AM
BADMFR
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

wouldn't say it "cured" mine, but now I can have several spirited runs before the pedal sticks to the floor again. it definitely helped a lot...
Old 05-20-2007, 02:39 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BADMFR
wouldn't say it "cured" mine, but now I can have several spirited runs before the pedal sticks to the floor again. it definitely helped a lot...
Suggest you keep changing it until the fluid remains literally clear in color with zero sediment. If you do that, your clutch will repay the effort with better performance.

Ranger

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch pedal woes—Who’s Solved Them

Old 05-20-2007, 02:42 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RobG03Z06
...This is the nasty black fluid taken out yesterday and replaced with Prestone synthetic DOT 4 brake fluid. I only did the procedure about 4 times to clean out the reservior. (pumping the clutch pedal 15 times)

That's some seriously nasty fluid there Rob. Would love to know the boiling point of it as it sits in that jar. Any idea what brand of fluid that is?

Ranger
Old 05-20-2007, 02:51 PM
Evil One
Advanced

What do you guys do with the old fluid?????
Old 05-20-2007, 03:17 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Evil One
What do you guys do with the old fluid?????
I keep an empty 12-ounce fluid can in the changing kit. Then periodically empty it into a gallon container that our club-sponsoring dealer disposes of when needed.

Ranger

Quick Reply: [Z06] Clutch pedal woes—Who’s Solved Them