Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] No reverse lock-out, but I can get into reverse just fine

Old 01-30-2008, 11:42 PM
MattZ28
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default No reverse lock-out, but I can get into reverse just fine

I picked up my '01 Z06 today and happened to find reverse at around 40mph while shifting into 5th. I would assume that my reverse lockout solenoid is bad, BUT the car goes into reverse just fine from a stop, so I'm lost. Any ideas?
Old 01-31-2008, 12:09 AM
ptindall
Team Owner

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on the reverse lockout solonoid, but what you describe sounds perfectly reasonable to me. If it has failed in the unlocked position, you would be able to shift to reverse at all times, standing still or moving foward. Why would you think that you should ever get reverse while driving down the road, but not when sitting still?
Old 01-31-2008, 02:00 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

You may be using too much force when shifting into 5th. The lockout is built with a fail safe spring which allows the driver to force the shifter in reverse. Thus if they solenoid failed in the wrong position the driver can still get the car into reverse if needed.

Bill
Old 01-31-2008, 07:06 AM
MattZ28
Burning Brakes

I was searching on the matter and it seemed like a lot of people were saying that if the reverse lockout solenoid fails, you will not be able to get it into reverse...

I wasn't using any force at all. I haven't been slamming gears or anything as I just got the car. You can very "casually" put it in reverse going 40mph.

Does anyone have a part number or know where I can get a new solenoid?
Old 01-31-2008, 08:06 AM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Does anyone have a part number or know where I can get a new solenoid?

Should be GM part number 12523300

Available from vendors such as ....

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com

http://www.gmpartshouse.com

Old 01-31-2008, 08:13 AM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MattZ28
I was searching on the matter and it seemed like a lot of people were saying that if the reverse lockout solenoid fails, you will not be able to get it into reverse...
You either mis-read what they were saying, or whomever told you that was ... well ... I'll be kind ... an idiot.

Any gearbox will let you attempt to select any gear at any time. However, on the T-56 gearbox in the C5, there is a mechanism that tries to stop you from selecting reverse when the vehicle is in forward motion. That mechanism is the reverse lockout solenoid.

When the solenoid is working correctly, it is VERY difficult to select reverse if the vehicle is moving forward at (IIRC) over 3 mph. If the vehicle is standing still, reverse is as easily accessed as any other gear. If the solenoid has failed, reverse is an available gear whenever you try to select it.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:00 AM
MattZ28
Burning Brakes

Thanks so much for the clarification. How hard is it to replace this thing? I'm pretty mechanically inclined...done a few H/C, tranny, rear etc swaps but just want to get an idea of what's involved so I can set time aside accordingly.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:40 AM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MattZ28
Thanks so much for the clarification. How hard is it to replace this thing? I'm pretty mechanically inclined...done a few H/C, tranny, rear etc swaps but just want to get an idea of what's involved so I can set time aside accordingly.
There is good news and bad news in replacing the solenoid. The good news is the solenoid is externally mounted on the transmission, so you don't have to actually open the transmission to replace it. The bad news is the solenoid is located at the top of the transmission. In order to reach it, you have to partly lower the transmission from the car.

Here are the steps from the Service Manual ...

1) Disconnect battery
2) raise and support vehicle rear end
3) remove both wheels
4) remove intermediate exhaust to muffler bolts
5) tie off mufflers to underbody so they are out of the way
6) remove the rear transverse spring
7) disconnect wiring harness and brake pipe retainer clips from rear crossmember
8) position a transmission jack under rear suspension crossmember and secure to the jack
9) Remove the rear crossmember retaining nuts - use only hand tools
10) Slowly lower the rear suspension crossmember about 1 1/2 inch ... be certain not to have driveline come in contact with the driveline closeout panel (tunnel plate)
11) disconnect solenoid electrical connection at solenoid
12) remove solenoid (J41099 tool)

Reverse steps to replace the solenoid andd put car back together. The J41099 looks like a deep socket, but the dimensions aren't listed.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:19 AM
HP_Addict
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackZ06

When the solenoid is working correctly, it is VERY difficult to select reverse if the vehicle is moving forward at (IIRC) over 3 mph.

with that part.

However if the solenoid fails it is difficult to shift into reverse. The fail position of the solenoid prevents shifting into reverse. Anyway this is what mine did when it went bad.

If you are able to shift easily into reverse at speeds, you may have another problem, possibly in the tranny. Try calling Rodney at RPM, he can help you out.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:19 AM
Zo3o6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kinda funny: I had a problem with this a while back..........
My garage is on an incline, so i would let the car roll down the driveway in neutral................ when i would get to 5th gear it will "easily" try to go into reverse. So i figured its a switchology problem.........now everytime the car is moved backwards -- i put the tranny in reverse, problem went away.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:38 AM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by HP_Addict
with that part.

However if the solenoid fails it is difficult to shift into reverse. The fail position of the solenoid prevents shifting into reverse. Anyway this is what mine did when it went bad.

If you are able to shift easily into reverse at speeds, you may have another problem, possibly in the tranny. Try calling Rodney at RPM, he can help you out.
Uhhhh.... the solenoid is powered ON at any speed over 3 MPH .... that stops you from shifting into reverse when the car is in motion. If the car is stopped, or the solenoid has failed, reverse gear is available.

If you can't shift into reverse with the car stopped, you may have some other tranny problem, though often times, you will find that if you can't select reverse, without removing your foot from the clutch, select another gear (3rd for example) and then immediately try selecting revese. Sometimes that will help line the gears up for an easier gear selection.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:31 PM
EFNFAST
Burning Brakes

How did you know you found reverse instead of 5th? I'm just curious as I always avoid 5th gear because I'm terrified of hitting reverse accidently and not realizing it soon enough.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:37 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,282 Likes on 843 Posts

Matt,

We can practice on my Z06 when we drop the Transmission to swap in a lvl 4 RPM unit
Old 01-31-2008, 03:34 PM
Skinny Kid
Racer

Check your skip shift solenoid connector. If someone unplugged it to disable CAGS it will do exactly what you're describing; disable CAGS, but you'll lose reverse lockout over 3 mph. It may be just that simple.

Justin
Old 01-31-2008, 04:14 PM
HP_Addict
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BlackZ06
Uhhhh.... the solenoid is powered ON at any speed over 3 MPH .... that stops you from shifting into reverse when the car is in motion. If the car is stopped, or the solenoid has failed, reverse gear is available.
Thats the way I thought it worked too until mine went out. I could not shift into reverse without a lot of force when the car was at idle. I replaced the solenoid and it went back to working. The fail state of the solenoid prevents shifting. If you don't believe me go pull the fuse which goes to the solenoid. It is in the engine bay fuse block. At least this is out it woks on my 02 Z06.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:59 PM
Bigstik
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Skinny Kid
Check your skip shift solenoid connector. If someone unplugged it to disable CAGS it will do exactly what you're describing; disable CAGS, but you'll lose reverse lockout over 3 mph. It may be just that simple.

Justin
I am pretty sure that disabling the CAGS will NOT cause the reverse lockout to be disabled as well. I have the skip shift eliminator and i never go into reverse while moving forward.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:04 PM
HP_Addict
Melting Slicks

CAGS and skip shift are 2 separate solenoids. Have you had any work done to the car recently? If so maybe they forgot to plug it back in.

Get notified of new replies

To No reverse lock-out, but I can get into reverse just fine

Old 01-31-2008, 05:11 PM
MattZ28
Burning Brakes

I just bought the car yesterday. The car does not have CAGS though...
Old 01-31-2008, 07:38 PM
u4ick
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't believe you will actually have to lower the tranny to change out the solenoid, when I had my fuel pump replaced (with out having to drop tank/tranny.......as per the "manual") my mech. said it took him only 15min from start to finish......now I'm not saying there isn't a trick or "specialy bent tool" or something like that......but it can be done without lowering the tranny.
When mine went out it would work some times and then not others, and when it wasn't working it would very easily go into reverse.....almost like it would wrather go to reverse than 5th......actually for me 5th was almost difficult to find.

How did you know you found reverse instead of 5th? I'm just curious as I always avoid 5th gear because I'm terrified of hitting reverse accidently and not realizing it soon enough.
And to answer this question.......well believe me you'll know it......it grinds.....bad....makes your skin crawl .......but you won't be able to actually get it in reverse.......unless you're deliberately trying to break something or a complete morron.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:52 PM
MattZ28
Burning Brakes

That's how it is for me...it's tricky to get it into 5th and it almost seems like it wants to go into reverse.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] No reverse lock-out, but I can get into reverse just fine